• 02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
    lewburgh
    Need a decent CD Player $300 to Spend
    Hello all,

My name is Lew and I live in the Dayton OH area. Love this site I've been enjoying reading the reviews and learning from all of you. Thank you!
    I am in the market for a new cd player for 2 channel audio for around $300. I am using a HK AVR 525 receiver. Will this receiver play two channel audio decent? Am happy with it for movies. Was looking at NAD c525BEE, Cambridge audio players, and a Marantz CD5001. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,
    Lew
  • 02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
    icarus
    With Harmon Kardons, they do two channel audio pretty decent depending on the speakers you are using. In general HK's are under powered im guessing your reciever is 70 watts pre channel with 5 channels. I personally have not auditioned NAD or cambridge, but marantz is very good for the money, and you should sound pretty good on your system.
  • 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
    Mark111867
    I second the Marantz CD5001. It's a very nice player for the money.
  • 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
    emorphien
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icarus
    With Harmon Kardons, they do two channel audio pretty decent depending on the speakers you are using. In general HK's are under powered im guessing your reciever is 70 watts pre channel with 5 channels. I personally have not auditioned NAD or cambridge, but marantz is very good for the money, and you should sound pretty good on your system.

Compared to similarly priced receivers from Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha, H/Ks are not underpowered. They are however conservative in their power ratings and some say measure slightly differently.

Any of those CD players should be good. I've heard the previous version of the NAD and the Marantz CD5001.
  • 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM
    JohnMichael
    I would also recommend the Marantz CD5001 player. I have owned mine for 11 months and it has been trouble free and excellent sounding for the money. It is hard to believe it is a $300 player.

I used to live in Dayton. I remember going to Carlin Audio and that is where I bought my first pair of good speakers "Smaller Advents". Ah memories.
  • 02-14-2007, 02:27 PM
    icarus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emorphien
    Compared to similarly priced receivers from Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha, H/Ks are not underpowered. They are however conservative in their power ratings and some say measure slightly differently.

When you say that HK is conservative with their power ratings, what exactly are you refering too? do mean that they under estimate or low ball it? or is it just the way that power is distrubted the HK's specs are lower but actually perform well?
  • 02-14-2007, 03:19 PM
    recoveryone
    before you guys compeletly highjack this thread, I wondering is there any real good CD players still out there in this range. As with the 8 track, casettes, LP's has the CD format run is course as the music deliverly system? My thought is the wide use of Mp3's, Itunes...etc.... Will this be the end of another music medium.
  • 02-14-2007, 03:22 PM
    PeruvianSkies
    A few come to mind...anything you can get from Cambridge Audio for $300 would be worth it. I constantly see deals for their CD players that are around this price. Marantz and Denon also have a few around this range. You might be able to find a Music Hall used around this price as well, but be on the lookout for the scam artists.
  • 02-14-2007, 03:45 PM
    Carl Reid
    Quote:

Originally Posted by recoveryone
    before you guys compeletly highjack this thread, I wondering is there any real good CD players still out there in this range.....

Ummm.... yeah.... Haven't there already been 3 or 4 votes for the Marantz CD5001 in this thread already?

So to answer your question directly: Yes, there are really good CD players in this range....

And while I'm here, I'll toss in another recomendation for the Marantz CD5001.... I replaced my marginally more expensive NAD 521Bee in favour of the Marantz and have no regrets....
  • 02-14-2007, 04:08 PM
    blackraven
    If you check previous threads, most people will vote for the marantz 5001. It gets very good reviews. In fact I need a new CDP for my secondary sound system and am going to buy one as well just based on the reviews. If you dont like the sound you can always send it out for modification or sell it.
  • 02-14-2007, 05:28 PM
    musicman1999
    Another vote for Cambridge Audio,I have heard all of their models except the new 840c and they are all leaders in their price classes.Nice well made players designed to play music and do it well.And don't worry about your H/K,it will do music very well using its analog inputs.

bill
  • 02-14-2007, 05:30 PM
    lewburgh
    Thanks to all!
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems like the Marantz CD 5001 is the unanimous winner. I will be in the market to get one. Still deciding on front speakers and looking at Acoustech HT-75s and Athena F2.2s, but am unsure of the new line of Athenas.

Currently just sold all my Northridge series speakers E60s, E30s, N Center II, and PB-10 sub. All OK for movies but not at all for music.

Currently running:
    Harmon Kardan AVR 525
    Acoustech HT-65 Center
    Athena AS-R1 Rears
    Velodyne DPS-12 Sub
    Samsung HD-850
    XBOX 360

Nightflier suggested the Acoustech HT-75s. What do you guys think. Said it would match well with the center.

Lew
  • 02-14-2007, 05:34 PM
    lewburgh
    Icarus,
    Was told that the HK was only good for movies and 5.1 surround. Not for critical listening and music. That's why I was curious about two channel audio and music. I agree power rating for the HK are underestimated. Power has never been my problem, Northridge JBL speakers were.
    Lew
  • 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM
    N. Abstentia
    Based on the SACD/DVD-A and 2 channel audio performance of my Marantz DV-6400 (which was over $500) I'd give a huge thumbs up to the Marantz CD player.