AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy Nad shutting off

Hi everyone
    Have a little problem it,s with my Nad 743 receiver-had it for three weeks with no problem
    until earlier this week ,the dare thing has shut off on me twice.
    The cabinet has front and rear ventilation - checked the wires ( nothing )
    Is it the receiver ( Lack of Amps) or is it my old Infinity speakers
    ( Vandersteens on there way )

I unplug - let it reset and start over

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Billybob
    Hi everyone
    Have a little problem it,s with my Nad 743 receiver-had it for three weeks with no problem
    until earlier this week ,the dare thing has shut off on me twice.
    The cabinet has front and rear ventilation - checked the wires ( nothing )
    Is it the receiver ( Lack of Amps) or is it my old Infinity speakers
    ( Vandersteens on there way )

I unplug - let it reset and start over
    I wouldn't call this "a little problem". I call it a significant problem ... and one that is not likely to be solved by waving any magic wand over it, and chanting an incantation. It calls for a replacement unit to be swapped with your present one. Where did you buy it? Was it (hopefully) from an "authorized NAD dealer"? Or, could it be a "gray-market" unit you bought online from some seller with questionable credentials - not to mention business ethics? If the latter, it serves as a classic reminder that buying electronics over the internet is a risky proposition.

You should first contact the seller you bought it from to see what he will do for you. Then, you need to contact NAD with this problem - to see what, if anything they're willing to do to help you. It's highly unlikely that your problem is being caused by your speakers - even if they're 4 ohm speakers, unless you were cranking up the volume loud enough that your system could be heard down the street a block or two.

Good luck

P.S. If neither the seller or NAD will do anything for you, I suggest that you unload that bad-boy ASAP. Take what you can get for it, and buy yourself a reliable receiver like a Yamaha.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Assuming your amp is fine, there are a few reasons why a normally functioning receiver would shut down.

First, heat. If it's too hot, it will shut down. Make sure it's got plenty of open air with nothing on top of it.

Second, a shorting speaker wire. make sure no wire strands are touching anywhere.

Third is speakers. Could be a bad speaker, could be too many speakers, could be the speakers are a lower impedance than the amp is rated to drive.

Troubleshoot those, and in the meantime contact the dealer where you bought it and let him know you're having problems.

Thread Information