Thread: Toshiba SD-4960

DIYaudiophilehack

Toshiba SD-4960

Well I finally got my 4960 to replace the two failed Pioneer units. As a bonus, I picked up a Tosh 3960 for the bedroom system. Best Buy had them at $49.

After very little listening time, zero burn-in etc. I can state the following; I prefered the picture of the 4960 to that of the 3960. The sound for regular cd playback is quite good on both and one is indistinguishable from the other in this regard. Both are better than the Pioneer at this task. As far as multi channel/hi-rez I've not had much chance to listen. I did notice a lack of distance adjustment function though, which seems like it should be a concern. It may be there and I've just not found it in the menus. I'll have to look further. Toshiba recommends setting speakers to large unless there is audidble distortion. I can say that while set on small the subwoofer is very dominant and not to my taste. After further tuning and experimentation we'll see if this still holds true. One other thing, the Pioneer transport was very noisy during playback and when switching tracks. The 3960 was much quieter at this, but still audible. The 4960 was inaudible.

DIYaudiophilehack
    Perhaps someone can offer feedback about this unit and how it relates to DVD Audio. For some reason I can't get it to display the proper menus so that I can select hi-rez stereo tracks vs multi-channel etc. Both the disc menu and the player menu are nowhere to be found. All of my DVD-A discs default to multichannel when you insert them and they start to play. If I hit the menu button I get the circle with slash symbol. I can access the playlist menu from the disc, but only the multi-channel one. My main interest is in the stereo one. It looks as if the player is "seeing" the disc as if it were a DVD-Video disc instead of a DVD-Audio disc.

Thread Information