I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

My "latest" pick-up- Sony ES receiver

Just to show I am not stuck only on gear made before 1978 I thought I'd post a pick of something I came across at a local thrift last week. The ES line was Sony's TOTL gear at the time and the G8AES was one of their best when it came out in the mid-late 90's. I already had the 222ES CD/SACD player so I thought for $13 I could get a matching receiver. Works like a champ and I am using it to drive my pair of KEF35's in a little corner set-up.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Suspended
    What do you think of the "ES"? I've heard people say they weren't that much different from the regular Sony line but my impression was the "ES" sounded much better. I especially thought the "ES" was able to generate better bottom end. It could have just been a system thing but that is my impression and I'll stick with it until proven otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    What do you think of the "ES"? I've heard people say they weren't that much different from the regular Sony line but my impression was the "ES" sounded much better. I especially thought the "ES" was able to generate better bottom end. It could have just been a system thing but that is my impression and I'll stick with it until proven otherwise
    I can confirm that it is a cut above the regular Sony gear. Build quality is very good and this thing comes in at a little over 32lbs so it is not just an imposing looking piece of plastic. Soundwise it is pushing the KEF's very well all across the sound spectrum. The KEF's sounded a little "muddy" on the Kenwood Basic combo but have really come alive on this Sony, perhaps it is because it has a separate switch for only 4 Ohm speakers. I have played mostly accoustic, jazz and classical on it so far and am currently listening to James Taylor's "October Road" which is not exactly full of bass but this combo is producing nice tight bass and very clear mids and highs. I am going to put some Bach on it a little laterand see how it does on the bottom end. My guess is the KEF's can only go so far down. I am still playing around with the built in EQ/ Parameter and trying to figure out how to maximize its potential. It would be tempting to put it into my HT set-up and see how it performs there but that is just too much of a hassle and I really don't think it would challenge my Pioneer much there given the Pioneer's much more advanced technology in the HT area.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Suspended
    Yeah, Kenwood does have sort of a dark bass response. It's hard to put into words but I know what you are talking about and can see how that could be a synergy issue with the wrong speakers.

The Sony ES of the 80's and 90's were very well built and rated. Within their ES lineup, their top 2 models in their Receiver, CD and Cassette categories were made really well (copper shielding, FB construction, etc). The TOTL in your receiver's lineup most likely would've been a GA9ES, followed by your GA8ES. It should perform very very well. Anyways, it would be hard to beat the price you paid.
    It's a disease, really.
    -----------------------------------
    Sony
    CDP-X77ES, CDP-X55ES, TA-N90ES, TA-E90ES, 333ESXII
    Denon
    AVP-A1HDCI, POA-A1HDCI, DVD-5910CI, DVD-2500BTCI
    Oppo
    BDP-83
    Sennheiser
    HD800
    Definitive Technology
    BP2000TL, C/L/R 3000, BPX, BP1X
    Pioneer
    Pro-151FD

Suspended
    frahengeo, regarding price, you can say that again. I can't believe the stuff Kid gets at thrift stores. Ours looks like stuff from some old guy's closet. If I could get that stuff to my area I could go into business just selling on Craigslist or something. It would be a money maker if one took the time to Ebay.

Thanks for the info and the responses. I am listening to it now and the little corner set-up allows me to listen to a very good set-up without keeping the rest of the house up.

I have printed out a copy of the owners manual and am even more impressed with some of the features. Have not had a chance to try these features out but I now think I need to get my hands on the remote. I might try to go back to the thrift I was at and see if it turns up there otherwise I might see if they have one on E-Bay.

Mr.P - I know I have been very fortunate with many of my thrift and CL finds and find myself grinning at least once a week as I look around at what I have accumulated. I still attribute much of my finds to the encouragement you gave me when I first stumbled onto my first piece of Kenwood Basic gear. This confirmed for me, that while not neccessarily high-end, there was respectable gear to be found in what I will call the "recycled market".

I know not all of my pick-ups have been nuggets but on the whole my victories have outweighed my losses. I have sold off a couple of pieces of gear (a couple of members here I think are satisfied with their purchases) and I know that I could flip some of this gear for significantly more than I paid for it in some cases but at this point it still is more about the gear than the cash.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Thread Information