Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Music lovers

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Although I don't really play anymore, I have kept several of my old "axes". They include a Fender Precision, a Chocolate Brown Gibson EB-3 and an Ampeg Baby Bass. Music is playing in my head most of the time. If all I had was that old plastic table radio I would listen to it and get much pleasure from it. I'd rather listen to a "good" system but as long as it's not overly distorted it's still music to my ears.

For me, being able to hear the bass parts on recordings the way I knew they should sound was a major impetus toward acquiring a "good" system. Getting the bass right was/is hard. The midrange and treble while not having the greatest or sometimes any fidelity (on BPC etc.) has always been clear enough for me to hear the lines. When the bass sounds right I know my or any system is on the right track.

Living in the inner city gives lots of exposure to some of the worst sounding gear anyone's ever been assaulted by. I'm speaking of those rolling distortion boxes sometimes called car stereo's. Bass sounding like it's coming from underwater is so offensive to me I sometimes wish I could shoot cars with a "zap" gun and kill just the stereo.

Last week while sitting on my porch steps I heard what I thought was a standard "crappy" car stereo coming down my block. It turned out to be a young teen riding a bicycle with a large basket on the front holding two 12 volt car batteries powering a car stereo with an amp and equalizer. He had tied two bookshelf sized speakers (12" 3 ways) to the rear rack and was entertaining himself and most of the block. It actually sounded better than a lot of car stereo's. You guy's in the "burbs" just don't know what you're missing!
    LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh Joe, what a visual with the bike. I am from Toronto which has no shortage of characters like your bike rider, I do miss it.

What you've wrote here is the first thing I've read without feeling like running into oncoming traffic. You hit the nail right on the head for me. So well put. That's exactly it for me, I am a bass player and I want to be as close to that bass groove as possible. This means I want it as audible as possible, which we both know with older or crumby recordings, only a decent system will do.

I think aside from the bass, I want seperation so that I can choose to focus on whichever instrument is hitting me the most in a given song. I suppose that I forget, most people have no ability to discern instruments in a song. If I use my wife as a typical example, she hears the vocals and anything else that the engineer puts into the mix with added prominence. So I suppose this is why the singers and guitarists have the most panties hanging on their gig cases at the end of a tour.

I want to say that to all you music lovers willing to listen on any device, great!! I'm not trying to judge or say you don't love music but I think Joe cornered my feelings. As a musician, I need to be as close to the intended result of the recording as possible. If not, I basically get frustrated with what I'm hearing and can't be bothered to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by EYEdROP
    I think its fun to listen to crappy speakers sometimes. I still listen to classic rock with FM radio in my car. I just enjoy music more with audiophile gear (which is what it is intended for).

There are some low cost consumer grade speakers that sound actually decent if you set them up properly. But most people want aesthetics and comfort first.
    I am presently using what many would consider to be "crappy" speakers. My friend built the cabs and put the speakers in. They are solidly built with a 8,5 and a 2. Although I am sure they sound good, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that to ME they sound good.

Fun?? Bet your azz, I'm having fun in spades.

I am not hung up on "audiophile" gear, just gear that gives me enough of a result. Seperation, soundstage and tone is enough for me.

PC:
    While most people walk around singing lyrics, I walk around humming solo's that I like. I wonder how many people know that Moody's Mood is a vocal transcription of James Moody's solo on I'm In The Mood For Love?
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Hey, guys: At the risk of repeating a point that may have already been voiced, I'll contend that the terms audiophile and music-lover overlap, but only to a certain degree. There is a point where the audiophile stops tweaking the knobs and enjoys the music for its own sake and when the music-lover gets out his chair and reverie and turns the bass up a notch. Musicians know that sound and its production involves processes that involve both musical and technological prowess. The french horn, as an example of an instrument that involve beautiful music (Mozart's horn concertos, anyone?) and technique (what mouthpiece will be used? How far will the hand be inserted into the horn?). Likewise the armchair enthusiast will be drawn to the music, and as (his) ear becomes more keenly involved he will invariably make adjustments (even it's only volume) to increase his appreciation.

As to what appellation is used, it's a matter of priority. If one is an audiophile, the technology drives the passion; if (he) is a music lover, then the music does. Yet, this distinction, I contend, is arbitrary ("not mutually exclusive"), and, therefore, rather pointless (I reckon). Yeah, I like to twiddle, but I do so because doing so maximizes my enjoyment of the music--which came first, the music? The technolgy? The chicken...?

Shhhhhh....I don't know. I need a beer!
    They do overlap.
    BECAUSE an "audiophile" is an audio enthusiast that is stone cold
    crazy

TALK ABOUT OBSESSIVE compulsive disorder.
    Some think that audiophiles are more "gear" driven", but if that is the case then why do they spend buffy and andys college funds on stuff like tubes, 3,000 record players,
    etc.
    Most of the so called "audiophiles" I have known are totally ignorant of basic electronic
    principles.
    They deny basic scientific principles while espousing fantasies that a cult leader couldnt
    come up with.
    Ever hear of those ads' about the "credit fairy"?
    And credit fairy "magic dust".
    Well, come up with some "audio magic dust" (or equivalent) and you'll be on eazy street in no time. Just be sure to charge enough (thousands) or they won't buy it.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    They do overlap.
    BECAUSE an "audiophile" is an audio enthusiast that is stone cold
    crazy

TALK ABOUT OBSESSIVE compulsive disorder.
    Some think that audiophiles are more "gear" driven", but if that is the case then why do they spend buffy and andys college funds on stuff like tubes, 3,000 record players,
    etc.
    Most of the so called "audiophiles" I have known are totally ignorant of basic electronic
    principles.
    They deny basic scientific principles while espousing fantasies that a cult leader couldnt
    come up with.
    Ever hear of those ads' about the "credit fairy"?
    And credit fairy "magic dust".
    Well, come up with some "audio magic dust" (or equivalent) and you'll be on eazy street in no time. Just be sure to charge enough (thousands) or they won't buy it.
    I agree, to me an audiophile is someone who must have the best of everything as it comes out. They don't even know what they are chasing in terms of "that sound". An enthusiast considers more than just gear. I see these guys when I'm hangin at my local shop. The city I live in has a large percentage of wealthy people, I'm talkin old money. These guys will drop 10 grand like it's nothin'. It's so ridiculous, it really defies envy...I'm envious of the guy who has found his "sound" in spite of gear.

Hey, do you two (pixelthis, poppachubby) have some sort of Axe to grind.? Why all the sour grapes concerning "audiophiles" I consider myself a long time audiophile. I have neither large pockets nor am I ignorant of science and engineering. I and everyone else here is well aware that pixelthis thinks everything sounds the same and an AV receiver is good enough for everybody. The fact that he keeps pushing his narrow viewpoint on those who think cables sound different or anything else he doesn't believe is becoming boring. Frankly, pixels diatribes against just about everything are getting to be quite tiresome.

pixel, why do you have a problem with the way other people spend their money? No one is asking you to participate in the purchase of anything. Please let others spend their money the way they want. You manage to turn almost every thread into a personal soapbox where you make snide and nasty comments about anything you don't like. Frankly, I don't like your attitude. You have obviously never gotten over being a cop. Please note, you are not the audio police. So, give it a rest please.

MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS!!!

poppachubby, I'm surprised at you. I had no idea you had hidden hostility toward those who have more than you. Obviously, my definition of an audiophile is very different from yours. My definition of an audiophile is.

A music lover who is willing to spend their own money any way he or she wants in the pursuit of better sound.

My definition leaves no one out. People like pixel who think an AV receiver is sufficient, or people who think Japanese speakers are "the bomb", or, heaven forbid those who think an equalizer is a necessary device are all audiophiles in my book. I have no axe to grind and I'm puzzled why some feel they have some kind of agenda to force on others.

Lighten up you two. It's supposed to be about the music. How each individual enjoys it is their own business.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Hey, do you two (pixelthis, poppachubby) have some sort of Axe to grind.? Why all the sour grapes concerning "audiophiles" I consider myself a long time audiophile. I have neither large pockets nor am I ignorant of science and engineering. I and everyone else here is well aware that pixelthis thinks everything sounds the same and an AV receiver is good enough for everybody. The fact that he keeps pushing his narrow viewpoint on those who think cables sound different or anything else he doesn't believe is becoming boring. Frankly, pixels diatribes against just about everything are getting to be quite tiresome.

pixel, why do you have a problem with the way other people spend their money? No one is asking you to participate in the purchase of anything. Please let others spend their money the way they want. You manage to turn almost every thread into a personal soapbox where you make snide and nasty comments about anything you don't like. Frankly, I don't like your attitude. You have obviously never gotten over being a cop. Please note, you are not the audio police. So, give it a rest please.

poppachubby, I'm surprised at you. I had no idea you had hidden hostility toward those who have more than you. Obviously, my definition of an audiophile is very different from yours. My definition of an audiophile is.

A music lover who is willing to spend their own money any way he or she wants in the pursuit of better sound.

My definition leaves no one out. People like pixel who think an AV receiver is sufficient, or people who think Japanese speakers are "the bomb", or, heaven forbid those who think an equalizer is a necessary device are all audiophiles in my book. I have no axe to grind and I'm puzzled why some feel they have some kind of agenda to force on others.

Lighten up you two. It's supposed to be about the music. How each individual enjoys it is their own business.
    Whoooaaaaaaaa JOE!! Hey man, I have no axe to grind. No bitterness or hostility either. I was trying to convey my own categorization of audiophile, audio enthusiast and casual listener. I suppose I didn't consider offending anyone who values themselves as an audiophile. So I would like to apologize, my intention was not to ostricize or offend.

Webster's has this to say:
    Main Entry: au·dio·phile
    Pronunciation: \ˈȯ-dē-ō-ˌfī(-ə)l\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1951
    : a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

Simple enough I suppose. I just think as audio has progressed to the insane levels it exists at now, "audiophile" has a bit of a stigma attached to it. With the meager gear I posess, I don't consider myself an audiophile. To me the definition has always gone hand in hand with the gear...my own personal definition puts audiophile as someone forever changing gear like underwear.

I suppose I should find a new classification...

I like that dictionary definition.

People who change gear like underwear are gear freaks. There's lots of them at audiokarma.org . They have four or five pairs of speakers set up in the same room. They swap receivers in and out like like guitar strings. I've seen where more than one has written that he has a different system for each different kind of music. Say what?

I think a good indicator is the size of ones music collection.

Mine is 3500+ LP's and 1500+ CD's, plus a hundred or so cassettes recorded on Nakamichi decks. Most of my gear I've had for upwards of ten years. Some of it's older than a lot of posters here. Most of it I bought new. I've been buying LP's since 1967 and I have no intention of quitting.

People who change gear like underwear are gear freaks. There's lots of them at audiokarma.org . They have four or five pairs of speakers set up in the same room. They swap receivers in and out like like guitar strings. I've seen where more than one has written that he has a different system for each different kind of music. Say what?

Mine is 3500+ LP's and 1500+ CD's, plus a hundred or so cassettes recorded on Nakamichi decks. Most of my gear I've had for upwards of ten years. Some of it's older than a lot of posters here. Most of it I bought new. I've been buying LP's since 1967 and I have no intention of quitting.
    Aha! OK then, you see it as "gear freak". So do I really. I wonder how many others here at AR feel as you do about the term audiophile. You may have noticed the Webster's definition was included in 1951. IMO, it probably held true until the industry stole it, repackaged it and sold it back to true audiophiles. To me it's more of a buzz word than a proper definition. A label to put on gear and in advertisements. A tag that "gear freaks" like to give themselves, which is why I think the way I do. A shame really...

I see guys like yourself and others here at AR as audio purists. Didn't Lennon say "...just gimme some truth!" In my impression of audio that term holds way more dignity than audiophile. Anyhow...

3db
    Forum Regular

People who change gear like underwear are gear freaks. There's lots of them at audiokarma.org . They have four or five pairs of speakers set up in the same room. They swap receivers in and out like like guitar strings. I've seen where more than one has written that he has a different system for each different kind of music. Say what? .
    Dam..Must be nice to have the money///

M[QUOTE=JoeE SP9ine is 3500+ LP's and 1500+ CD's, plus a hundred or so cassettes recorded on Nakamichi decks. Most of my gear I've had for upwards of ten years. Some of it's older than a lot of posters here. Most of it I bought new. I've been buying LP's since 1967 and I have no intention of quitting.[/QUOTE]

Thats an impressive collection. I'm hitting around 500lps and and about 200 CDs and about 8 DVDs crammed with 256k or higher MP3s that I have aquired.

Ajani
    People who change gear like underwear are gear freaks. There's lots of them at audiokarma.org . They have four or five pairs of speakers set up in the same room. They swap receivers in and out like like guitar strings.
    I think the issue really comes down to what name you give the ultra-obsessed persons in our hobby: since you call them gear freaks, you have no problem with calling yourself an audiophile... but for many of us who call them audiophiles, we instead call ourselves audio enthusiasts (or my personal favorite "Audio Connoisseurs"). I think most of us just want to differentiate ourselves from the extremists...

I've seen where more than one has written that he has a different system for each different kind of music. Say what?
    Actually, to be honest, if I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd probably setup different systems to handle different types of music... Considering that certain products are more suited to one genre of music than another, it would make sense sonically (if not financially)...

I would definitely not consider myself a connoisseur of audio. I'm not in it to judge the gear...just to enjoy it.

Clearly there are plenty o' fools out there who spend ass loads of cash for the "next big thing" in bells, whistles, lights and "the machine that goes 'Bing!'". There is no reason to mention such proclivities in this forum; I like to think everyone here (regulars especially) are well beyond such facile dunderheadedness....(well, mabe...).

Anyway, I will say that my own enanorment to audio thingies was kindled by the desire to get as much out of the medium as I possibly could. Once I started with cleaning my LP's to squeaky and sparkly perfection, it was only a matter of time before I embarked on the Tweak Road to Audio Hell. As I've grown older and poorer, I have cut back on my requirements to own the best and the brightest. Right now, I use some rather archaeic Kenwood gear, and am quite happy. Do I drool whenever I see a beautiful piece? Sheet yeah, but I don't lose too much sleep over it (thanks to Beer and Ambien),

I think this is where most of us are: We buy what we buy primarily because it makes the music sound better, lets us extract more from the medium than our Close-n-Plays ever could. Bells and whistles and pinging things are part of the fun, sure, but it boils down to music.

Still, if I had a choice to spending an evening with Roseanne Barr or Cameron Diaz there'd be no contest.

I'd spend it with Bettie Paige!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

There is one thing "gear freaks" seem to have in common. They spend most of their time changing and tweaking components. Listening to music seems to be secondary. I suppose we just differ on choice of descriptive words. I know several truly over the top "audiophiles". One is a neurosurgeon with Infinity IRS V's driven by massive Levinson monoblocks. He has the financial means to by whatever he wants. He has had the same basic system for the last ten years. He also has an LP collection to die for. Another is a college professor with Magnepan MG-20's. He also has a very large LP collection. What they both have in common is that they have systems that have been fairly stable equipment wise for the last ten years or so. My professor friend upgraded to the MG-20's a couple of years ago. He sold a pair of 3.6R's to help finance the deal.

These two are examples of what an audiophile is to me. Music lovers with enough discretionary income to buy what they want and enough restraint and common sense to leave well enough alone.

If you are constantly changing gear and speakers it's probably because what you are using doesn't satisfy you. When the gear and speakers are TOTL and expensive that's neurotic. When the gear and speakers are modestly priced it's probably because the stuff doesn't sound that good in the first place and you're a little bit neurotic.

Suspended

You are right, this post has digressed just a bit. Your comments on Pix are spot on! Although you stated that he criticized on how people spend their own money, he recently criticized me for owning and still using VHS and Beta machines and NOT spending my money.

Although I stated earlier that I am a Gear Snob, I in no way have the money to buy all the latest and greatest. That does not mean that I am not enthusiastic about it as the definition states. I dealt with Soundex from the time I got my first income tax check in 1978. I bought an Onkyo Receiver and Tape deck with Infinity speakers. I think I spent about $400 but can't remember. While in the store and on many occasions, people with money out the ass would come in, but 10k worth of gear and then in two weeks, trade it in for something else and take a loss. Some of these people I would not consider Audiophiles but more Manic people with more money than they need and not knowing how to be satisfied with anything.

My entry into music was due to having an older brother who used to build Heathkits, Dynaco, and Hafler gear on the kitchen table when I was a little tike. He and a second brother would use all these items. My very first stereo was a Heathkit receiver my brother built. I saved my money and after getting married bought my first separates, Hafler 9180 amp and 945 pre-tuner and a set of Mirage floorstanders. I was later able to afford, after saving, a $550 tube preamp by Sound Valves and later a Stratos amp. Then I saves for a few years to buy my Dynaudio 82s.

Over the years I would go to Soundex and listen to all the mega buck systems, drooling and appreciating what they can do. I also figured out early on, you can get almost the same sound from 10k worth of gear as 100k worth. The people who buy the latter do so because they can afford to and not because it sounds 10x better, because it doesn't.

The gear in my signature I lucked into and have a total of $700 invested in the VAC, Counterpoint, Clearfields, Synergistic. If I would have had to pay full price or half price even, I would not own the gear at all. The VAC is real nice but in no way 10x better than the Sound Valves pre.

So with all that rambling, you can be an Audiophile and not even own a system. All you need be is enthusiastic along with the appreciation of the gear and the sound it produces.

Suspended
    There is one thing "gear freaks" seem to have in common. They spend most of their time changing and tweaking components. Listening to music seems to be secondary. I suppose we just differ on choice of descriptive words. I know several truly over the top "audiophiles". One is a neurosurgeon with Infinity IRS V's driven by massive Levinson monoblocks. He has the financial means to by whatever he wants. He has had the same basic system for the last ten years. He also has an LP collection to die for. Another is a college professor with Magnepan MG-20's. He also has a very large LP collection. What they both have in common is that they have systems that have been fairly stable equipment wise for the last ten years or so. My professor friend upgraded to the MG-20's a couple of years ago. He sold a pair of 3.6R's to help finance the deal.

These two are examples of what an audiophile is to me. Music lovers with enough discretionary income to buy what they want and enough restraint and common sense to leave well enough alone.

If you are constantly changing gear and speakers it's probably because what you are using doesn't satisfy you. When the gear and speakers are TOTL and expensive that's neurotic. When the gear and speakers are modestly priced it's probably because the stuff doesn't sound that good in the first place and you're a little bit neurotic.
    I have to disagree a little. I don't think you need money to appreciate and understand the gear and sound. I also dont think it is neurotic to swap gear for different sound. Since I got my new to me system, I have been swapping the amps and speakers in and out because it gives me 4 different sounds, all of which I like and are different for different types of music. The Clearfields lack deep bass so Govt Mule sounds better with the Stratos and Danes as one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I have to disagree a little. I don't think you need money to appreciate and understand the gear and sound. I also dont think it is neurotic to swap gear for different sound. Since I got my new to me system, I have been swapping the amps and speakers in and out because it gives me 4 different sounds, all of which I like and are different for different types of music. The Clearfields lack deep bass so Govt Mule sounds better with the Stratos and Danes as one example.
    No offense intended Hyfi. I didn't mean to suggest that money had anything to do with it. I used those two friends as examples of "audiophiles". I think there is a very large difference between the swapping you do and someone who has 15 receivers and 27 pairs of speakers that he is constantly swapping. That kind of gear is usually some Japanese bookshelf speakers and more often than not a selection of "vintage" Japanese receivers. This is not meant to "dis" receiver owners. However, in the case of the speakers most of them are pretty bad.

Before someone gets on their soapbox about their favorite Japanese speaker please note this is just my opinion. In actuality there are very few "monkey coffin" speakers that I can stand. The Clearfields and Dynaudios Hyfi has are a couple of those few.

I'm puzzled why some feel they have some kind of agenda to force on others.
    Because you're just a fool who chooses to "waist" his money. ;^)

rw

Well, you can argue and rationalize it all you want, but (I agree); folks who are constantly swapping things out and trying things are not necessarily neurotic. Think about the musicians (such as guitarrists) who own numerous instruments because they like the various characteristics those instruments embody (thank you, HyFi). Yes, there are boneheads who are driven solely by the desire to have the biggest dictionary, but such folks aren't worth mentioning here. At the same time, there are those fortunate enough to afford such things (i.e., the neurosurgeon). Joe's point about stability is well taken, but you can't blame a guy if McIntosh Blue does strange things to his limbic system.

Just as HIV doesn't always go into full blown AIDS, having a case of Spasmotic Ultra-Coolitis Kickassus doesn't always make Status Highfideliticus Insanius Technologicus a sure thing...

I reckon.

Cool

WHAT "hostility"?
    Like on DRAGNET, just stating the facts.
    As a matter of fact I have audiophile pretensions my own self.
    Doesnt mean that audiophiles arent crazy.
    CURRENTLY debating deepsixing the ol HT and going back to my true love,
    two channel audio(not enough room for both), and my HT is rather nice.
    Plays music nicely, but when I NOTICED THAT everything I did was geared towards
    audio, I STARTED the long trek back across the desert.
    I mean, really, who needs a state of the art HT to watch the crappolla they come out with these days?.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information