Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    personally, I'd keep Sketches of Spain and B. Brew down the list for a while. I've owned them for years and still rarely listen to them. There's MANY other great recordings I'd visit first...

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Last 14 days
    Donald ***an Kamakiriad DTS
    Steve Miller Fly Like An Eagle DTS
    Look & Listen

Not many since Christmas, but ...

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    So, I would love to hear what music you boys and girls have BOUGHT in a past 7, nah let's make it 14 days(concert DVDs are absolutely welcomed). We do still buy music right?

I wasnt going to post mine but here is a small list.

In the last coupe of weeks I've bought the following ...
    Takemistu: Chamber Music (BIS)
    Haydn: String Quartets Op.51, 103 (Naxos)
    Stravinsky: L'Histoire du soldat (Suparphon)
    Thomas Tallis: Spem in Alium (Naxos)
    Miles Davis: Miles Smiles (Columbia)
    Sam Rivers: Contours (Blue Note)

Okay, so we love our audio and AV equipments. Television sets are becoming more and more attractive than ever before. I used to own Denon AVR-3802 three years to go and now they offer 3805? I guess I can read about 3806 by this summer w/ another 5 additional watts.

Opps... Denon already offer 3806, so I guess I'll be reading about 3807s. I hope they didn't introduce 3808, 3809, and 3800 Xtreme Edition by the time I post this. BTW I am not dissing Denon receivers, my experience with it was great.

Forum Regular
    If I were developing a bop and later Jazz collection and wanted to have a good selection to determine where my tastes lie I would start with:

John Coltrane:
    Giant Steps
    Blue Train
    A Love Supreme

Mingus:
    Mingus Ah Um

Miles Davis:
    Kind of Blue
    In a Silent Way
    E.S.P.

Sonny Rollins:
    Saxophone Collossus

Cannonball Adderly Quintet:
    Somethin' Else

Wes Montgomery:
    The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

Thelonius Monk:
    Brilliant Corners
    Genius of Modern Music, Pt. 1

Dave Brubeck:
    Time Out

You haven't even started a jazz education, imho, without having listened hard to all of the above records...there are many more important ones but as far as later 50's on, I think this is a starting point. Others will likely disagree. I'm sure I've left out some very important recordings

And if you are feeling adventurous (warning "free jazz"):
    Albert Ayler: Spiritual Unity
    John Coltrane: Ascension

Based on what you like most of the above, you can easily find a direction to build your collection in.

Hey, Rockafella I also bought the Cannonbal Adderly Quintet: Somethin' Else on LP about 2 weeks ago. I didnt think RVG edition could sound better but LP is more incredible.

Rest of my LPs I bought about 2 weeks ago.

Das Efx - Holding it Down

Sonny Stitt - Rearin' Back

Grant Green/John Patton - Iron City

Yes - Close to the Edge

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' Blues

Joe Puma - Shinin Hour

Nina Simone - To Love Somebody

Horace Parlan - No Blues

Hank Mobley - Messages

Cliff Brown - Memorial Album

I'm really trying to break away from the usual jazz musicans, but I guess there are great reasons why they are famous.

Forum Regular
    Here's some less listened to artists that are just as great:
    Albert Ayler
    Booker Ervin
    Eric Dolphy

Good list, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rockofeller
    If I were developing a bop and later Jazz collection and wanted to have a good selection to determine where my tastes lie I would start with
    Based on what you like most of the above, you can easily find a direction to build your collection in.
    I'd pass on Wes Montgomery, but the rest are great -- where I started myself: how clever of me!

By the way All Music Guide classifies most of the other artists' music in the Hard Bob, Post-Bob, Modal, Avante Garde, and/or Cool categories. Right up my alley!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    To Rockofellers excellent list I would add

Bill Evans : Live at the Village Vanguard

Here's some less listened to artists that are just as great:
    Albert Ayler
    Booker Ervin
    Eric Dolphy
    I gotta few by Dolphy and they are great. I'll check into Ayler and Ervin soon. Thanks for the post.

Forum Regular
    The Dolphy albums to start with are Out to Lunch and Iron Man.
    Ayler: I would start with My Name is Albert Ayler (hard to find European release) and then Spiritual Unity and Live At Greenwhich Village. Personally I think once youve heard these albums you dont need anymore Ayler - you can enjoy these for a lifetime.
    For Booker Ervin get "Structurally Sound" - the album is so hotttttt.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Great reference list Rocko

IMO for the beginners I would add Thelonius Monk's Straight No Chaser and John Coltrane's Lush Life. I'll agree with the many outstanding qualities of A love Supreme and Take Five, but when I've played this for uninitiated friends I've gotten looks of confusion It's kind of like going from 0-60 in 2.9 seconds--exciting for some, but way too much if you've been riding on a bus your whole life...

I would, however, say that we are getting into nit-picking details now. Overall it's great to see a thoughtful list born of the joy of experience. Thanks again.

3db
    Forum Regular

My list includes

Okay, so we love our audio and AV equipments. Television sets are becoming more and more attractive than ever before. I used to own Denon AVR-3802 three years to go and now they offer 3805? I guess I can read about 3806 by this summer w/ another 5 additional watts. Yeah they are all cool and I have cool stuff, definetly not the absolute best but I am content. Then I see integrated amps in my dream talking to me like a Centerfold. Hmm.. a new cartridge for my TT will deliever a different sound. Since I walk to school my Ipod is very useful for background music, and for some reason I can walk faster. Maybe I shouldn't spend 200 bucks on CDs and LPs...... then walk out of a store with a heavy brown paper bag. You guys know what I'm talking about. Trust me, I do have alot of music that I can't get enough of. But what good is our equipment if we dont listen and discover new music. So, I would love to hear what music you boys and girls have BOUGHT in a past 7, nah let's make it 14 days(concert DVDs are absolutely welcomed). We do still buy music right?

I wasnt going to post mine but here is a small list.

Bring it Home to Me - Blue Mitchell
    Cat Stevens - Teaser and the Firecat
    Ahmad Jamal - Happy Moods
    Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings"
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever"
    Metric "Live It Out"
    Phish "Farmhouse"

Forum Regular
    I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them! A Love Supreme might take a little more listening experience. Lush Life...tahts the album with Coltrane playing a bunch of excellent standards and ballads. Its a good album, but I would sooner buy "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann" - The rendition of lush life on that recording is unbeatable!

I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them! A Love Supreme might take a little more listening experience. Lush Life...tahts the album with Coltrane playing a bunch of excellent standards and ballads. Its a good album, but I would sooner buy "John Coltrane and Johnny Hartmann" - The rendition of lush life on that recording is unbeatable!

I agree about A Love Supreme. I dont think anybody should buy that album and expect to hear "Jazz", kinda like Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy. Probably the easiest way to turn people on to Jazz is *****es Brew. It has that rock-fusion sound and younger kids'll dig it. I love MMW, STS9 and all that stuff but listening to John Scofield's Uber Jam then to *****es Brew might even be better a better transition.

Here is a small stack I bought on sales today:

Beethoven - Symphony No. 6 in F minor Opus68
    Earl Wild - Wild about Gershwin
    Citizen Cope - I was able find it on LP for $5.98 sealed. A lot of people hate this but I dont care obviosuly.
    Bach - The Philadelphia Orchestra, Fugues
    Chopin - Philippe Entremont
    NIN - Richard X and El-P remixes
    Bruch - Violin Cocerto No.1 G Minor, (10 inch)The Musical Society Masterpiece
    The Last Kind - Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by 3db
    Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings"
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Fever"
    Metric "Live It Out"
    Phish "Farmhouse"
    LOL, Farmhouse? That album is fun and thanks for bringing me back some strong memories. Not that big in Phish anymore but I named my dog after their song. Though I have a few on CDs, I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too.

I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too.
    Take a look at www.gemm.com

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

3db
    Forum Regular

believe it or not

LOL, Farmhouse? That album is fun and thanks for bringing me back some strong memories. Not that big in Phish anymore but I named my dog after their song. Though I have a few on CDs, I'm having the hardest time finding CAN on vinyl. Even my dog Wilson seems bummed out about it too.

I've never heard of them until I saw an add in a best buy flyer. I downloaded a few songs and really liked what I heard , ourchased it and now have it in my collection. I have to say that they sound amazingly tight and I'm most impressed with the bassist. Its feel good music with sounding like feel good music if you know what I mean.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I don't think Take Five has much of a learning curve...if someone doesn't like taht album off the bat then I hold no hope for them!!
    LOL, you're probably right--I'm just trying to look at my friends as uneducated rather than philistines

I found this LP in jazz section. Kinda crazy if you ask me, but I dont think I can categorize this music either.

Wendy Carlos aka Walter Carlos - Beauty in the Beast.

I also got Bloquera - Bloquera

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Pink Floyd DSOTM and a Medeski Martin and Wood record, both vinyl.

Commemorating my new turntable when it arrives. The DSOTM I have is old and worn. This new one is fresh and brandy new. I hope it's a good quality master & pressing.

I think that's it. Bought a handful of things a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    Pink Floyd DSOTM and a Medeski Martin and Wood record, both vinyl.
    What a great pick, which MMW did you get? Is it the Dropper? They are definetly one of the Cash Cow for that label. I cant understand why Blue Note doesnt issue Tonic on vinyl. I would get at least 3 copies just in case it warps on me. Enjoy.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Actually no I really don't know much or own any MMW but I'm just getting started and it was a reasonable price. It's "End of the World Party."

I've heard bits and pieces over the years and liked it, and my coworker was listening to this album a few days ago. It'll be the first of many I'm sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information