Thread: Multi Ch Hookup

Forum Regular

Multi Ch Hookup

Hi everyone, I am new to DVD-A and SACD audio formats. I have a Toshiba DVD Player that plays DVD-A discs. It has a multi ch outputs and I have a Yammy RX-750 that has multi ch inputs. Here is my question.Presently I have my dvd player audio connected via optical fiber.Do I need to connect the Multi ch inputs and outputs with different audio cables in order to get the best sound from these discs ? Do I need Both ? I have been told that the optical is all that I would need. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

The ONLY way to get the high resolution audio from DVD-A and SACD is to connect the multi channel in/outputs. If you use only optical you will get only DD/DTS from DVD-A and zilch from SACD. With the multichannel connection you will gain the high res MLP of DVD-A and the hi res of SACD.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the reply but do I need to have both the optical and multi ch connected at the same time or just multi ch connection? Also what kind of interconnects do I use?
    Thanks hardrock
    Last edited by hardrock; 04-08-2005 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrock
    Thanks for the reply but do I need to have both the optical and multi ch connected at the same time or just multi ch connection? Also what kind of interconnects do I use?
    Thanks hardrock
    You need both because one set is for DVD-A and SACD, while the fiberoptic calbe is for movies. When wishing to listening to DVD-A you merely choose 6-channel input on your receiver, and when watching movies, select DVD input.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    You need both because one set is for DVD-A and SACD, while the fiberoptic calbe is for movies. When wishing to listening to DVD-A you merely choose 6-channel input on your receiver, and when watching movies, select DVD input.
    Thanks Paul, this is what I will do.
    hardrock

Well..you don't HAVE to hook them both up. I let the multi channel do everything on mine simply because it sounds much better. I guess my player (Marantz 6400) has better DAC's than my receiver. Both connections perform the same function, they just do it different ways. With the multi channels, your player does the decoding. With optical, your receiver does the decoding.

Thread Information