Forum Regular

Moving Audio Equipment

I'm planning on moving to a new apartment about a mile or two away. I was thinking that i could just put my gear in the back seat of my car and drive them there to avoid packing them up and having them manhandled by the movers. Does anyone think there would be any issues with this as long as they're secured in the car so they don't move around?

Forum Regular
    That's not a bad way to handle things if nothing goes wrong. That's a big "if."

Just be aware that unpacked equipment sitting on a seat or in the trunk is still at risk in the event of an emergency stop or, worse, if you are involved in an accident.

And, depending on the piece of equipment involved, it can also be pretty easy to scratch or otherwise damage the finish or poke a hole in a speaker driver while loading and unloading.

The only piece of equipment that you'd be a complete and utter fool to not put in its original packing is a turntable. Not packing other equipment just leaves you a partial fool.

Your call.

;-)

I've done it many a time without problems. Just make sure you don't damage the speaker drivers.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I've done it many a time without problems. Just make sure you don't damage the speaker drivers.
    Sounds like the fellow who won't wear his seatbelt because he's never been in a bad accident yet.

In 40 years of driving, I've been upside down only once, on November 6, 2001. If I hadn't had my seatbelt on that day I'd either be now dead or paralyzed from a broken neck.

The stakes aren't quite as high with audio equipment, but the question is still whether saving a few minutes of packing time is a fair trade for undamaged equipment if something does goes wrong.

Still his call.

;-)

Granted, in my case the gear I've transported in the past wasn't high value, which is probably the reason I haven't packed it. The journeys I have made were usually to bring gear to a party, hence the reason I'm not ready to pack/unpack.

As far as accidents go, i have never been in one though I never fail to wear my seatbelt

Forum Regular
    What's the best way to pack the components, then? I don't have the original boxes, unfortunately. Living in an apartment is unforgiving in that way.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TazioNYC
    What's the best way to pack the components, then? I don't have the original boxes, unfortunately. Living in an apartment is unforgiving in that way.
    Fortunately for me I have every carton any thing I ever bought in the attic.

My suggestion is to at least bubble wrap and place pcs on the floor or trunk. do not stack them.

Lay the speakers drivers up and wedge them into place so they can't roll.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TazioNYC
    Quilted blankets like those used by moving companies are a good option. I suspect you could rent some without a lot of trouble, or even borrow them if a mover is handling the rest of your belongings.

I have done this a couple of times, wrap in moving blankets and firm placing so they don't slide and a careful driver
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

Thread Information