Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Talking

Hey GroundBeef,

1) I agree "Gambler" was a great song. But they beat it to death.( Remember all those made TV movies? ("The Gambler ", "The Return of","3", "Does Dallas", "5","6")

2) The Dark Side I never got either, although I did like the song "Money". "The Wall" always reminded me of a devil worshippers chat. I played that link in your note, I think I understand now why you like "The Dark Side" and I don't. (ha ha). Hey, we can't all be the same, to each his own.

3) I chuckled on your comment on Tull. I had a friend that actually liked Styx. I still ask him why man why? Why!? Why!?

4) I bought a Norah Jones CD as well. She's not bad, not great, kind of like a female version of Harry Connick Jr. to me. But it's good to know their still is a market for some of those great old songs.
    Last edited by luvtolisten; 04-01-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Nominating Kenny Rogers for the most overplayed, although over 20 years ago, still not long enough for me. I never got Pink Floyd, Rush, or Jethro Tull. Or Norah Jones today.
    Micheal Bolton was always depressed. Jackson Browne too, although I did like his earlier stuff. As for Springsteen , seems like every time I write him off and he's done, he seems to some how resurrects himself again. Springsteen's "Magic" CD I thought was one of his best works in a long time.
    They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.
    No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    When I sold audio everyone wanted to listen to Ponk Floyd's "Dark Side of the Mooon", Supertramps "Breakfast in America" or Pat Benetar "Hell is for Children". When in fact hell was for audio salesmen over Bose 901's that the customer insisted on turning up the high frequency control until you could hear the tape hiss as loud as the music. I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.
    So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.
    Last edited by luvtolisten; 04-01-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.
    And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    . I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.
    Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?
    Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.
    Sorry for bringing up those bad memories But I couldn't resist. That song had a lot of airplay (or it seemed that way to me) and it was around the same time as "The Rumble in the Jungle" (Ali/Foreman)
    The fight was good, a classic, the song.............well I think you know where I'm going with this.....

John Michael:
    I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual! The guy that owned them was visiting one day. 2 Chimay's a generous helping of some imported plant material and an hour in the sweet spot in front of my ESL's was an ear opener for him. He now has Maggie MG-3's and is looking to upgrade to 3.6R's.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.
    Check your math son that's 35 years. That's funny the test of time. Most of the people I work with can't stand Springsteen. When they heard he was playing the Super Bowl they said when are they going to get some good half time entertainment. I realize there are people who are into him. There are also people who like Bose speakers. Look American Idol is the most popular show on TV and that is amateur talent.

Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....

Quote Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....
    My treat, my good man.

Your generosity knows no bounds...!

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    John Michael:
    I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual!

You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Dare I say...

The Doors - Riders of the Storm - aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!

Nick Cave - Pretentious drivel

Tom Waits - My cat wailing at 4am sound better.

Givendale

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Re: 901's...

...nope, not biting...'splained all that ad nauseum, ad infinitum...eons ago...even posted charts and graphs...they simply do what they need to do...for me...

AUDIO UPDATE: Replaced my modded Sony 'phones($6@ el waldo-marto) with some Senns...PX-1s, I think...bought 'em at Sears...Ab-fab w/my GPX port CDP($7 after rebate)...of course they were around $50-something...10X better? Probably, but...who knows...nice bottom end...over all, equal to or better than Koss Porta-pros...

jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)
    And to you as well RL.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.
    My buddy the ex 901 owner called me today. He found a pair of Apogee Duetta's. He's going to check them out tonight. He's come a long way.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread Information