• 04-01-2009, 10:02 AM
    luvtolisten
    Hey GroundBeef,

1) I agree "Gambler" was a great song. But they beat it to death.( Remember all those made TV movies? ("The Gambler ", "The Return of","3", "Does Dallas", "5","6")

2) The Dark Side I never got either, although I did like the song "Money". "The Wall" always reminded me of a devil worshippers chat. I played that link in your note, I think I understand now why you like "The Dark Side" and I don't. (ha ha). Hey, we can't all be the same, to each his own.

3) I chuckled on your comment on Tull. I had a friend that actually liked Styx. I still ask him why man why? Why!? Why!?

4) I bought a Norah Jones CD as well. She's not bad, not great, kind of like a female version of Harry Connick Jr. to me. But it's good to know their still is a market for some of those great old songs.
  • 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luvtolisten
    Nominating Kenny Rogers for the most overplayed, although over 20 years ago, still not long enough for me. I never got Pink Floyd, Rush, or Jethro Tull. Or Norah Jones today.
    Micheal Bolton was always depressed. Jackson Browne too, although I did like his earlier stuff. As for Springsteen , seems like every time I write him off and he's done, he seems to some how resurrects himself again. Springsteen's "Magic" CD I thought was one of his best works in a long time.

They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.
  • 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.
  • 04-01-2009, 03:13 PM
    JohnMichael
    When I sold audio everyone wanted to listen to Ponk Floyd's "Dark Side of the Mooon", Supertramps "Breakfast in America" or Pat Benetar "Hell is for Children". When in fact hell was for audio salesmen over Bose 901's that the customer insisted on turning up the high frequency control until you could hear the tape hiss as loud as the music. I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.
  • 04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
    luvtolisten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington
    They wouldn't even let Springsteen sweep the floor after Jethro Tull was finished playing. Tull's music is very cerebral. Ian is part songwriter and part storyteller. I've been into the band for over 40 years. Once you're hooked, you're hooked for life.

So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.
  • 04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
    luvtolisten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    No, trust ME, after hearing "Skating Away" on 11 every freakin day for 2 years, you get real tired of Tull.

And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?
  • 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
    hermanv
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    . I wonder how many people ever took the time to hear a properly eq'd set of 901's.

Wow, I didn't know such a thing existed.
  • 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
    Groundbeef
    Quote:

And let's not forgot "Bungle in the Jungle". Was that catch phrase taken from Mohammad Ali or vice versa?

Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.
  • 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
    luvtolisten
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Oh man. I should give you a reddie for that one. But I'm too nice so I gave you a greenie for making me remember why I really REALLY hate Tull.

Sorry for bringing up those bad memories:22: But I couldn't resist. That song had a lot of airplay (or it seemed that way to me) and it was around the same time as "The Rumble in the Jungle" (Ali/Foreman)
    The fight was good, a classic, the song.............well I think you know where I'm going with this.....
  • 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
    JoeE SP9
    John Michael:
    I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual! The guy that owned them was visiting one day. 2 Chimay's a generous helping of some imported plant material and an hour in the sweet spot in front of my ESL's was an ear opener for him. He now has Maggie MG-3's and is looking to upgrade to 3.6R's.
  • 04-02-2009, 02:42 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

So who is "They?" who wouldn't let Springsteen sweep the full when Tull was finished playing? And finished they are.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you have to admit, Springsteen came out with "Born To Run" in 1975, his 3rd album. He's been around now for 45 years. He's stood the test of time, The great ones do.

Check your math son that's 35 years. That's funny the test of time. Most of the people I work with can't stand Springsteen. When they heard he was playing the Super Bowl they said when are they going to get some good half time entertainment. I realize there are people who are into him. There are also people who like Bose speakers. Look American Idol is the most popular show on TV and that is amateur talent.
  • 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM
    Auricauricle
    Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....
  • 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
    Jack in Wilmington
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Auricauricle
    Jack, I would like to eat sometime today....

My treat, my good man.
  • 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM
    Auricauricle
    Your generosity knows no bounds...!
  • 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
    JohnMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    John Michael:
    I've heard Bose 901's positioned and properly equalized . Although they still sucked it was a little less than usual!

You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.
  • 04-03-2009, 01:45 AM
    givendale
    Dare I say...
    The Doors - Riders of the Storm - aaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!

Nick Cave - Pretentious drivel

Tom Waits - My cat wailing at 4am sound better.

Givendale
  • 04-03-2009, 07:00 AM
    Resident Loser
    Re: 901's...
    ...nope, not biting...'splained all that ad nauseum, ad infinitum...eons ago...even posted charts and graphs...they simply do what they need to do...for me...

AUDIO UPDATE: Replaced my modded Sony 'phones($6@ el waldo-marto) with some Senns...PX-1s, I think...bought 'em at Sears...Ab-fab w/my GPX port CDP($7 after rebate)...of course they were around $50-something...10X better? Probably, but...who knows...nice bottom end...over all, equal to or better than Koss Porta-pros...

jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)
  • 04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
    Rich-n-Texas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    jimHJJ(...NYS forms and pubs drove me here...pax vobiscum all...)

And to you as well RL.
  • 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM
    JoeE SP9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    You did a good thing turning him on to better audio. Just imagine eight hours of the 901's with the treble fully boosted listening to music you do not like. I am surprised my ears are still not ringing.

My buddy the ex 901 owner called me today. He found a pair of Apogee Duetta's. He's going to check them out tonight. He's come a long way.