Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    In the spirit of your many pictorial commentaries, here's my contribution illustrating your attitude:

There was a case in the UK when a "customer" complained to their advertising bureau about claims made for some power cables.

1. ... because he believed the PowerKord cable would have little effect on conducted electromagnetic interference;

2. ... because he believed the Signature PowerKord cable would have little effect on measurable distortion in hi-fi equipment, and

3. ...because he believed the advertised spike-protecting devices would have little effect on the noise floor in hi-fi equipment. "

I confess that I don't understand the attitude of those who base their strong convictions entirely on speculation. Experience-free. The case was closed when those "beliefs" were proven incorrect. Read this.

rw

And I guess that the judge who ruled was an expert in electroniucs.
    Any power cable is going to have adequate "sheilding", and keeping out RF isnt
    "improving" the sound, just doing its job.
    Not to mention that the old RF Bugaboo is a "haint" designed to scare the ignorant.
    ESPECIALLY WITH TODAYS DIGITAL CIRCUITS, which don't let anything
    past that doesnt belong.
    As for your picture its very cute, I prefer this one for those who choose to waste their money on fairy tales.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

[QUOTE=Mr Peabody]Pix, we all know what an asset your electronics training has been. Keep up the good work.

THANKS
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Uh-huh.

Hmph! I just post here.....
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Me, too

I just post here, too.

Lift up yer mugs, Lads! To the scallawags!

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ESPECIALLY WITH TODAYS DIGITAL CIRCUITS, which don't let anything past that doesnt belong.
    Actually, you have that bass ackwards. It is digital switching supplies in particular that spew garbage back into the AC. Class D switching amps are among the worst offenders!

rw

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Thanks for that link E-stat. That's the first thing I've seen in print to support our position.
    You're welcome but many folks find non-experiential speculation more compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    DrMorgan's views remind me of another older gent ...
    I, too was thinking that Melvin had returned! I just have to smile anytime I hear someone say their own system is as good as the very best (given they come at a Ferrari Enzo pricetag). I would certainly never say that! Obviously, he has never heard HP's review system. Obviously, he has never heard Ray Kimber's incredible multi-channel system. And so on and so on. What is sad is that someone actually believes that to be true with such a low reference point. Far, far better exists.

rw

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

well i havent heard the spectron musican amps

but i have heard the channel islands d200s driving a pair of $70k von schweickert speakers to a satisfying level of excellence. for $2300 i was damd impressed with them through the VSs.

i DO plan to go to the spectron factory here in LALA land to hear what john ulrich, the inventor of class d amplification has accomplished.

howbout you ralph? have you heard either the CIAs or the spectron?
    ...regards...tr

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I am not sure why so many make assumptions (I did to) about a lot of things regarding cables power conditioners etc. The theory holds that power conditioners are useless and I was a huge skeptic of them as well. I have tried a few they did nothing so I was on the Power conditioners/cords are a fraud.

I auditioned a pricey power cord with Marantz receivers and with the conditioner the noise floor audibly dropped significantly. WITHOUT music playing - this is just the noise from the wall - there is no test required to hear HISS and then having the HISS disappear. If anyone doesn't think that has an impact on the music is plain ignorant.

That said the Bryston I auditioned ALREADY had no audible noise - and the power conditioner did nothing for that amplifier - music on or off.

So I just figured that well the Bryston is an expensive pro amp and they are probably using higher quality shielding - the half the price receiver is packing in lots of components and wiring and probably using cheap parts.

But I got a review system from Grant Fidelity and they shipped their power conditioners and cords (not expensive by the way - certainly not relative to most out there). It did not do too much to improve my Audio Note OTO - I felt it improved the OTO but I doubt I'd pass any sort of blind test on the matter. That said the combination greatly improved my Cambridge Audio CD 6. And again - WITHOUT music playing it lowered the noise floor - you hear a hiss without - and with it it is gone. With music playing the treble hash disappeared and it was quite an enlightening experience to hear my cd player - one that I have owned for 10 years improve significantly with just the addition of some power cords and a conditioner.

Having said that I also own a highly raved about Tara Labs Prizm interconnect that to be honest sounds no better than the cheap ass wire that came with the CD6. I've also used a Belkin and Monster power conditioner and neither did anything.

And here's the point. You can take a blind test and it is very possible the new expensive unit will sound no better than the cheap stuff. We can't assume everything will be an improvement because it costs more or looks better. But it is a great disservice to have a couple of tests and then assume that in every circumstance every power conditioner (including all the ones that were never tested) won't work.

I am not confident that even the Power conditioner I used will absolutely work in everyone else's home - your power may be better than that which is coming to my home. Your specific CD player may be a lot better at blocking out crap than my CD 6. Ditto for amps. And the GF may just do what it is supposed to do while others are a sham.

Being skeptical should not be a crime - if people want to rely on DBT's and not their own experience it's up to them. But at the same time most every regular on any forum has been presented with and read the arguments for blind tests - if we choose to ignore them because we see numerous overriding problems with the science then stop beating the dead horse.

Forum Regular

I got off topic, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Gireyev
    Thanks to all that have replied so far, and that are going to reply.

02audionoob Thanks for the impartial suggestions. If I may I have some follow up questions regarding your choices.
    1. What made you select these components over others that you have auditioned?
    2. Why did you select these particular speakers? Were they the best just before the point of diminishing returns began to be crossed, or was there another reason? Were they good with any amp or this particular amp? What are their characteristics warm, natural, bassy .... etc?
    3. What are the characteristics of the amp warm, natural, bassy .... etc? What made it stand out when compared to other amps you auditioned?
    4. Any other insight you may be willing to offer.

Doc Sage - I heartily agree with every word of your posting. In the many days I've spent reading and researching, this message has come through quite clear. I also appreciate you adding it here as you never know the background of another person. Rest assured I plan on auditioning extensively before plunking down that kind of cash. However, in the audio world there are two almost distinct variables of a piece of equipment that have to be taken into account. First one is how it sounds on its own and second how it pairs up with some other specific piece of equipment. A perfect example would be one set of speakers sounding spectacular with one amp and downright awful with another. Now auditioning may reveal to me the first variable, that is how a certain piece of equipment sounds compared to another in that particular store on that particular day. However, to find that perfect synergy between two components (or more) requires outside help. There's just too many iterations here. This is what brought me to post on this board and to phrase my questions the way I did. And the more questions are answered the more helpful the advice will be.

O'Shag Howdy to a fellow Angelino. Actually the two things you are asking for were left out of my original post on purpose. In your post in this thread, as well as another thread you've indicated that one need not spend ridiculous (not an actual quote) amounts of money to get an audiophile system. However, you never identified what that system would contain. This thread is your opportunity to do so. Ideally if you could follow my original post as close as possible when defining the system that would help me the most. However, I'll appreciate whatever you have to offer.
    Lastly, I might as well put the musical style horse to rest. I don't have a musical style that I listen to. I will listen to anything that I like, from just about anywhere in the world. There's really only two kinds of music for me. Music I understand, and music I don't understand.

Mr. P Huge thanks for the extensive background with your selections. I remember reading about your gym system. Although something that "single purposed" would not work for me, the discussion around it provided a valuable background. I also liked the way you defined a "Starter Audiophile" system and "Standard Audiophile" system. I understand your question about my budget, however, I did not give it on purpose. The system you are putting together is _your_ system, and the budget is _your_ budget. The guiding budget factor is "reasonable" which for every person is different. No matter. This is what _you_ find reasonable and most importantly why. The context to me is as important if not more as the actual list of components that you guys provide.
    I naturally have some follow up questions.
    1. By transient response of the Krells, you mean they are neutral/natural in sound? Neither warm, nor overly aggressive on the highs?
    2. Are there other Dynaudio lines you thought highly of, besides the ones you have? What was it about them that made them your favorite? Do they have some specific characteristics?
    3. Same for Martin Logans.
    4. On the cables front, do these manufacturers only make one line of specific cable or are there multiple? If there are multiple can you identify the model names/numbers for the ones you meant in the post.

drmorgan Thanks for your reply and the speaker suggestion. Agree with everything you said 100%. And while I'm looking for even more info (see my original post or my replies above) I appreciate this as well.

Rudy
    I'll post a revsion or extension shortly. Meetings....

Cool

Actually, you have that bass ackwards. It is digital switching supplies in particular that spew garbage back into the AC. Class D switching amps are among the worst offenders!

rw
    Not even talking about that.
    I am talking about D/A converters, in a lot of modern equipment even analog goes through
    a D/A before it gets to the amps.
    Rendering your "power" cord totally irrelevant.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Not even talking about that.
    I am talking about D/A converters, in a lot of modern equipment even analog goes through
    a D/A before it gets to the amps.
    Rendering your "power" cord totally irrelevant.
    I see. Call me crazy, but I use power amplifiers downstream of the DAC to drive my speakers. The cords are on this last stage. If, on the other hand, you drive your speakers with the 2 volt line output without an amplifier, then you have a good point.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    but i have heard the channel islands d200s driving a pair of $70k von schweickert speakers to a satisfying level of excellence. for $2300 i was damd impressed with them through the VSs.
    Sorry, I haven't heard either models you mentioned. I am troubled by the "fuzz" virtually all switching amps demonstrate on their square wave output. The 200 + kHz carrier signal must be completely filtered from the output. While Ulrich has advanced his concept since the first Infinity switching amp from the 70s, they are still flawed.

rw

Forum Regular
    Hey Rudy and all,

The quest probably never ends as sometimes you think after hearing another system …maybe??. but American’s are highly trained consumers. See this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?em
    so get a second and third opinion or review the gear next to what you have.

I have to inject some historical info about Concert Grands (in answer to a couple of posts). Yes, early units were often said to have inadequate high ends. What some may not have known is they were built for one type of amp design as of date made. When the tube units became SS, they were upgraded for those and when the fidelity of the music improved with recording methods, they were altered. I knew of nine different form factor CG’s before the takeover and three revisions of the bi amp device. Early issue had high end tweaking built in. If registered you’d get notified of available changes and many changes could be made at your dealer, by you or sent in for minor costs. The Bozak and dealer supported upgrade process died when Bozak were acquired. BTW some computer firms offered the same upgrade paths. Apple made this possible till they went Intel. They are doing similar with the i-Phone as they call the shots, so these business models are with us today and that should be one of the criteria to use so you are not forced to live with less because the technology advances over the years.

It was the same with all Bozaks speaker systems. Like us, he was not satisfied unless he kept pace with REAL improvements. He gave his customers systems that could match the electronics and recording methods into the future. He’d sell just the enclosure and a few drivers so you could build it as you got larger rooms. What else you or that reviewer may have missed was a mis match of those grands with the amp he was using. Many outfits care after the check clears, and good dealers do too. Obtain references and referrals from fellow addicts.

Upgrade paths should be available from your dealer and the maker. I was able to obtain it and it saved a lot of money. It builds brand loyalty and gets an honest dealer great referrals.
    But the #1 issue will be your listening experience. It must evoke the same feeling about the music that mirrors an actual event.

A further criterion is the gear may be built up as the size of the room grows. If you have enough $ you can overdo on the Amp and that’s a reason to be very careful about which line you pick as mix and match does not work so well. Once you hear ‘as if’ at the place where recorded then your auditions of other systems become entertaining, unless a time comes when it seems better and then you make serious comparisons or maybe even track down cable leaks (I’ll post about a real power quality experience soon).

You want a good E.Q. This toy helps to make up for the recorded or media quality issues. Eventually our hearing declines (quick when those cable noises infiltrate), again the EQ can enhance the range you’re losing.

I continue to think that a test record approach at dealers (a CD test disk is available too) along with a favorite LP that is known intimately helps dull the new gear smell or what they spray in the air.

II think you should select an amp with double the power your speakers need* (unstressed amplifiers may last indefinitely from my experience), and a room with the space for the speakers picked.

If you don’t use some of the new stuff for a year it may decay. Try to power up your unused gear every six months. When you do provide enough power and space you discover if your speakers and amplifier deliver the depth with a lack of electronic artifacts.

In my case the first space was not ideal for those 28 drivers at 16X30’ with 11’ ceiling. SWMBO had heavy fabric furniture, two levels of drapes and 30oz. wool carpet with 3/4” jute fiber padding under.

SWMBO barely allowed those giants in the room and never dogs. When I tried to get some sound into the room the advertised 300w Crown Amp clipped! I called Bozak and Rudy wrote and said to get the Mc 2300 he’d tested. The next home was much better with 26’X28’ and 22’ high. Wood walls and a lava rock fireplace with glass wall each side. That’s when I got a second 2300 and Rudy said his third bi amp and updated tweeters were available from my dealer for me. I did not install them right away as we still loved the results and were continuing to audit other systems and the kids were getting theirs. The second 2300 powered other systems. The kids have not bought 100% the same stuff, but no one yet needs special cable. Reel to reel and cassette went away to be replaced. A new preamp and a bit later another preamp and a new tuner. We’d move the old gear onto a different speaker system till it was passed off. Nice thing about spending for quality is you can keep or give it away knowing no land fill issues.

Sadly the final Mc gear from the new owners was not as good in the Amplifier end. I stopped looking at Mc stuff when I learned the power-guard was more self-protection than the advertised speaker protection. The unit never delivered rated power (50/50) and that PG section sent up smoke signals one day (naturally after the warranty) and became silent. Funny that the little internal amp in the C34V would power the same 25-watt rated speakers at twice the volume we ever got from the 502.

In 1986 the real room became the place for those 14 drivers a side and we invested in the 10ga. runs with Monster cable of that time. This space at 55’ X 30’ X 26’ with lots of glass and soft and hardwoods finally revealed the potential in the speakers. We had overdone the purchase of the grands because we already had the 302’s and Bards for other spaces.

Due to experience side by side on those grands with many of the highly advertised brands of same watts and distortion specs have proven a lot like auto horsepower claims (it’s what’s at the driving wheels and the ability to retain traction that means something).

Most speaker makers have both the means and the interest to build for accurate reproduction. Most listening rooms at dealerships are too small and low to reveal enough and why many large systems don’t reveal well in them. Still the test record and CD can at least prove if…??

True, I stopped bringing speakers home a decade ago, but I have not stopped auditing other systems and would switch if… Thankfully that’s only happened with CD players (4 so far of which only one died), and adding blue ray to the system has validated that new technology.

I think that looking under the cover and looking at what’s on the dealer’s shelf waiting for repair is helpful. Google for reports of glitches or complaints. Check the manufacture out as to financial viability and who owns them. Prices are extremely high these days and I can’t comprehend as electronics should have been falling similar to computers, CD’ players, LCD’s and the like. That’s fishy given they’re using PC boards and relatively cheap power supplies (irrespective of the names they call them .. look at the country of origin and weigh the unit).

Everything inside should have gold brands and quality ratings of the highest possible as they can add much to initial cost.

Look for excellent natural convection with augmented cooling as heat degrades electronics faster than decades will. Thick circuit boards, solid solder and don’t be too concerned if gold and silver coatings are lacking. Good conductive materials for this type gear does not need plating. I’d expect at least a three-year no cost warranty from a brand not on thin ice and drop off at the dealer. If you don’t like to read the financials, have a banker do it.

If it stinks when you fire it up they probably don’t have a quality assurance tests and that’s a reason to stop right there.

Lastly: I’ve not found reviews too helpful other than for music releases (RS seems spot on). I make products and magazines are want to write glowing stuff when we buy a space even if the PR outfit does not ask them. Buy a page and they manage to send a photographer and writer! Lots of lay-offs from the papers I gather.

Forums that have a thread for quality, or ‘not as advertised’ should be noted. No good sound system should be sent for service after the break in given good ventilation, not over loaded, left under water or plugged with dust or hit by lightening (I’ll post a power quality note tomorrow if I’ve time, Friday latest).

Lastly, at some point your hearing will decline. It’s just like taxes … nothing to do but accept the fact and stop accepting distortion as some new and improved experience. When this begins ask the grandkids what sounds best when they’re not reprogramming your latest remote or see where the dog rests…..

Thanks, Doc

Quote Originally Posted by drmorgan
    Hey Rudy and all,

The quest probably never ends as sometimes you think after hearing another system …maybe??. but American’s are highly trained consumers. See this link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/health/23well.html?em
    so get a second and third opinion or review the gear next to what you have.

I have to inject some historical info about Concert Grands (in answer to a couple of posts)...
    That was a fascinating account of some Bozak history. Bozaks were around when I became interested in hifi, circa 1970. I could not possibly haved afforded them then (or now), nor did I have a large room suitable for their use. Consequently I gave them no real consideration.

My first speakers where Dynaco A-25, and other than them I was interested in mostly AR speakers other accoustic suspension speakers. I had a very brief infatuation with JBL, but soon realized that the likes of AR where more neutral, detailed, and airy.

Forum Regular

I remember Dynaco.. fondly...

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    That was a fascinating account of some Bozak history. Bozaks were around when I became interested in hifi, circa 1970. I could not possibly haved afforded them then (or now), nor did I have a large room suitable for their use. Consequently I gave them no real consideration.

My first speakers where Dynaco A-25, and other than them I was interested in mostly AR speakers other accoustic suspension speakers. I had a very brief infatuation with JBL, but soon realized that the likes of AR where more neutral, detailed, and airy.
    Seems that they were better than Heath Kits. Must have been dozens of makers back then. In my day you could go to the corner and have your tubes tested free... and several local shops carried resistors, caps, rectifiers and some products were designed so well they would have reduncancy built in with circuits that would let you carry on till you could get new tubes (Dumont), for them.

But I do not have a favorite that exists now. McIntosh changed and in my opion and experience not for the better. Harmon Kardon changed too and now are about a dozen firms in many price segments. Becker Audio was the first thing I have taken out of vehicles that come with it. Now it is Bose. What' under the covers seemed strangely alike to me even if differently priced tends to get my dander up. I found this to be surprisingly common.

I've not been able to hear beyond 16kcps for a long time, but not many of us can. If a pet who has that high hearing does not leave when the gear is playing I have assurance the stuff works.

The progression of CD and DVD gear proves that innovation continues.

But as for ads and claims.. I'll remain a devoted, vocal cynic till the cows come home. I'll also expect to see price reduction if vendors use common imported components and sub assemblies. I'll speculate snidely that the gold plating we see costs less than the original conductive materials they replaced.

Cheers

Cool

I see. Call me crazy, but I use power amplifiers downstream of the DAC to drive my speakers. The cords are on this last stage. If, on the other hand, you drive your speakers with the 2 volt line output without an amplifier, then you have a good point.

rw
    If you have such serious line interferrence that its audible under any condition
    you haave more problems than a "power cord" will cure is my point.
    And as more and more amps go digital themselves your cord will be more and more irrelavant.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Wrong again, Pix. I upgraded the power cord on my Linn amp and it made a very nice improvement. The highs were smoother and the thing that is consistent with power cord replacement is the noise floor dropped or same thing said a different way the background was quieter, darker. You all want to minse words, night/day or significant, but the improvement the power cord made was significant to me because it was easily heard and much appreciated. I would not say "night & day" but it was close to maybe a step up in model performance. In fact, my CD player was also one of the largest beneficiaries of the power cord upgrade. The only unit that had a larger improvement was my phono stage.

If you have such serious line interferrence that its audible under any condition...
    The difference lies in what you consider audible as opposed to what I consider audible.

rw

What is a "udible" anyway...?
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

but WAIT, theres MORE!

i feel the need to add to my previous mistle (or was it a missile?).

one could build a system around nad components for way reasonable money and still be within the high end soundwise.

1. Preamp if separate from amp of course--NAD. of course i recommend used audio research tubed preamps as i have done with my sp3a1.

2. Amp--adcom (5400/5500)-very powerful and smooth, not bright as some misinformed people say. parasound and VTL are other considerations.

3. Speakers--psb alpha series, or gini sytems LS3/5a with sub for about $1150 (they image like crazy, warm). magneplanars are another cost effective way into the high end (i have MMGs).

4. Sources (List as many as you like. At the end you may include just one in the final price tally or all)--
    sangean hd tuner, sony 5400 dvd/cd/sacd player ($1200) or marantz 6001 universal player (much less). i have a sony ns500v and marantz 6001 and the sangean tuner.

music hall or pro-ject tt, AT440MLa cart or grado red cart. i have a sota sapphire/mmt/fiedlity research combos and NUMEROUS other carts.

5. Cables--audioquest or kimber, keep prices down. AQ type 4 speaker cable is better than it should be for the price. yeah, i have both.

this will yield a system that punches way above its weight class.

the gini systems company is in pomona, i see you live here in socal. google search them, you can talk to tom poon and go hear them. vandersteens should also be considered.

i suggest joining the LA/OC audio society and you will get to see a LOT of things and kibitz with other like minded audiophiles and music lovers:

http://www.laocaudiosociety.net/

dont ask me how the font got magnified above, i just dont know. i have no connection with gini systems, i just talked to mr poon on the phone.
    ...regards...tr

Cool

i feel the need to add to my previous mistle (or was it a missile?).

one could build a system around nad components for way reasonable money and still be within the high end soundwise.

1. Preamp if separate from amp of course--NAD. of course i recommend used audio research tubed preamps as i have done with my sp3a1.

2. Amp--adcom (5400/5500)-very powerful and smooth, not bright as some misinformed people say. parasound and VTL are other considerations.

3. Speakers--psb alpha series, or gini sytems LS3/5a with sub for about $1150 (they image like crazy, warm). magneplanars are another cost effective way into the high end (i have MMGs).

4. Sources (List as many as you like. At the end you may include just one in the final price tally or all)--
    sangean hd tuner, sony 5400 dvd/cd/sacd player ($1200) or marantz 6001 universal player (much less). i have a sony ns500v and marantz 6001 and the sangean tuner.

music hall or pro-ject tt, AT440MLa cart or grado red cart. i have a sota sapphire/mmt/fiedlity research combos and NUMEROUS other carts.

5. Cables--audioquest or kimber, keep prices down. AQ type 4 speaker cable is better than it should be for the price. yeah, i have both.

this will yield a system that punches way above its weight class.

the gini systems company is in pomona, i see you live here in socal. google search them, you can talk to tom poon and go hear them. vandersteens should also be considered.

i suggest joining the LA/OC audio society and you will get to see a LOT of things and kibitz with other like minded audiophiles and music lovers:

http://www.laocaudiosociety.net/

dont ask me how the font got magnified above, i just dont know. i have no connection with gini systems, i just talked to mr poon on the phone.
    LA/OC sounds pretty good if you are a Cali resident, although the entire state
    disintegrating into barbarism might put a crimp on some of the meetings.
    As for how the font got "magnified", hey! just lay off the crack, dude.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

The difference lies in what you consider audible as opposed to what I consider audible.

rw
    THE DIFFERENCE is your inability to distingish what is between your ears as opposed
    to whats in front of them.
    Actual electrical interferrence is rare, my last Denon receiver picked up audio from a cab company from downtown, which is why it was my last Denon receiver.
    If you have line interferrence you need to track it down.
    If you think that a power cord produces any effect that will surrive the filter caps in a power
    supply you need just snuggle up in your blanky and wait for the tooth fairy.
    He is about as real.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

"If you think that a power cord produces any effect"

a typical statement for one who has a receiver based system. i guess we cant expect you to hear these things on YOUR system but until you own separates of sufficient clarity, youll be stuck where you are.

if youre happy there, more power to you. but to make statements that have no basis nor insight is childish. once (and IF) the demonstrattion has been made to you that you recognize there is a difference or improvement, you'll PERHAPS accept that the phenomenon exists. whether it makes a difference to you is you choice to change a wire or not is up to you.

for myself, none of my equipment has changeable power cables, they are all captive. i HAVE heard demos where the wire made a difference and it was subtle but there. i would have to try a power cable change in my system and then only change if i thought the difference was worthwhile. i AM after all, a cheapskate.
    ...regards...tr

Cool

a typical statement for one who has a receiver based system. i guess we cant expect you to hear these things on YOUR system but until you own separates of sufficient clarity, youll be stuck where you are.

if youre happy there, more power to you. but to make statements that have no basis nor insight is childish. once (and IF) the demonstrattion has been made to you that you recognize there is a difference or improvement, you'll PERHAPS accept that the phenomenon exists. whether it makes a difference to you is you choice to change a wire or not is up to you.

for myself, none of my equipment has changeable power cables, they are all captive. i HAVE heard demos where the wire made a difference and it was subtle but there. i would have to try a power cable change in my system and then only change if i thought the difference was worthwhile. i AM after all, a cheapskate.

In other words I am one of the great unwashed and therefore don't know any better.
    I DO HAVE A RECEIVER, but its a very nice one with exelent amps, not that it matters.
    The best amps in the world wont pick up whats not there.
    Crap like special "power cords" are just inventions of the marketing depts of these various companies, there is NO way these cords could provide any kind of difference that would
    surrive the torroidial transformers and massive can cap filters of any decent amp.
    HOWEVER if it makes you happy go ahead and help yourself, I am sure the copper miners of Arizona appreciate it.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information