AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz Receiver Problem - please help!

Tonight at 7pm, for the first time all day, I turned on our Marantz Receiver. As it was turned on, there was a "spark" sound, a flash of light, and subtle smoke in a very specific area on the top of the receiver. If you are looking down at the top of the receiver, it is in the upper right quadrant, slightly right and up from center. I shined a flashlight in the "grill" and it looked like several tiny gray wires were in the area of the spark.

The video signal was great, but there was absolutely NO audio - no tivo "bleeps," to TV audio, switching to DVD, CD and tuner - no sound.

FYI, it is now 10:30 at there is a faint "hum" of a fan sound that has been audible since this incident.

Any ideas? I'm clueless but my husband is pretty good with this. Is it fixable?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TN Girl
    Tonight at 7pm, for the first time all day, I turned on our Marantz Receiver. As it was turned on, there was a "spark" sound, a flash of light, and subtle smoke in a very specific area on the top of the receiver. If you are looking down at the top of the receiver, it is in the upper right quadrant, slightly right and up from center. I shined a flashlight in the "grill" and it looked like several tiny gray wires were in the area of the spark.

The video signal was great, but there was absolutely NO audio - no tivo "bleeps," to TV audio, switching to DVD, CD and tuner - no sound.

FYI, it is now 10:30 at there is a faint "hum" of a fan sound that has been audible since this incident.

Any ideas? I'm clueless but my husband is pretty good with this. Is it fixable?

Thanks!
    Option 1) A brand new receiver? Send it back for a replacement.

Option 2a) If it's an older receiver, but not too old, unless your husband has the training, equipment and experience to troubleshoot and fix a solid state receiver, not to mention having access to the needed parts, I'd suggest you send it out for repair. It ain't as easy as you think. Request an estimate before having them fix it.

Option 2b) If the estimate from 2a is too high, replacing it with a new one maybe the most economical resolution.

Thread Information