Thread: Help!!!

Forum Regular

Help!!!

let me tell you my problem.. Have a neighbors dog that barks all the time,talked with the neighbor,that was a waste of time. have contacted animal control,no good.have purchased a electronic device for training neighbors dog not to bark..
    NOW my Question. I want to make the dogs ears bleed. I'm needing info on where to purchase an electronic device that will make the correct sound to stop the dog from barking. I think a device that puts off a high pitch sound that will shut him up. I purchased a stop barking device for $86.00 and it helps a little,but not enough.possibly a device with a varible adjusting sound and with lots of volume? would be thankful for any legal ideas.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Weren't you in a movie with Jack Lemon and Ann Margaret?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

This is generally the best device to use:

HOWEVER, I would not use it on the dog. Use it on the owner since he can't seem to shut the dog up.

I am a dog lover. But I must say, this is a great first post. WELCOME!!!!

Don't worry about the dog. Just play your music you like and movies with explosions. This will get the dog barking. Eventually your other neighbors will get tired of the dogs constant barking and complain to authorities. He'll have to control his dog whether he likes it or not. But you know that won't be possibly cause you will continue to play your stuff and antaganize the dog, and he may not even know what's upsetting his dog. Won't matter though cause your not doing anything wrong. Soon that dog will be history.
    Another tip, if you know the dog's name you can call his name from inside your house ( they have good heaing) and antaganize him some more. You can tell he hears it when he looks around for the source
    I know this cause my neighbor is on his third dog. I didn't like the first two cause they would howl for hours at night when they heard sirens and bark continuously when other dogs bark.

Hi and welcome,

That is a problem I come across quite often. The dog is just doing his job so unless you can take over the dogs top spot your only option is to talk to your neighbour and suggest the following. You could ask him if he would prepared to have an "Anti-Barking Collar" put on his dog, that you will be prepared to purchase. Not that expensive. The device releases a sharp burst of a citric spray when the dog barks.It's a training device and is proven to work. Dogs noses are incredible sensitive and in 99% of cases that works almost instantly. The remaining 1% will ignore anything anyway and have usualy only one road ahead of them.
    It's marketed in Europe under the name "Aboistop". www.Aboistop.com
    If you have no luck and can't get it where you are, PM me and I will try to solve it for you. Barking dogs can be a nightmare.

Good luck

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

My question is...

Quote Originally Posted by boatmoter
    let me tell you my problem.. Have a neighbors dog that barks all the time,talked with the neighbor,that was a waste of time. have contacted animal control,no good.have purchased a electronic device for training neighbors dog not to bark..
    NOW my Question. I want to make the dogs ears bleed. I'm needing info on where to purchase an electronic device that will make the correct sound to stop the dog from barking. I think a device that puts off a high pitch sound that will shut him up. I purchased a stop barking device for $86.00 and it helps a little,but not enough.possibly a device with a varible adjusting sound and with lots of volume? would be thankful for any legal ideas.
    ...why is the dog barking? Why the alert?

Loud music? Loud talking or yelling? Obnoxious, screaming rug-rats? Lawn services? Tunin' up the old Evinrude?

As a long-time dog owner (or guardian in PC-speak) most dogs bark due to outside stimulus...chances are if you can identify and eliminate those stimuli the problem will be solved.

Do a Google on "stop barking dog devices" and there is a whole host of remedies available...I would guess the most effective would be a collar affair rather than a remote device...that's of course if the owner/guardian agrees to it...

jimHJJ(...P.S. that's what dogs do...they're hardwired for it...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Hey you could visit one of the local car audio shops. Find the kid with the loudest, crappiest sounding 'boom car' and offer him $20 to crank it up for your neighbors every time the dog gets going.

Do you have a lawn mower? You could pull the mufler off and start it every morning at 8 AM near their end of your lawn.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    why not get a recording of a much bigger dog and you know what to do ...

alternatively, you could record this dog. That might really get him, and the neighbors wouldn't get mad at you.

Forum Regular
    smarthome.com
    smart bark deluxe
    or
    Kmart
    pellet gun

nightflier
    I'll tell you, if my neighbor came over and offered to buy me a bark collar (or a muzzle, or whatever), I would not only refuse, I would also see this as a commentary on my ability to manage my business. Essentially, most dog owners are not very accomodating because they see the complaint as an attack against them or their abilities. While running lawmowers, calling the dog's name, and playing music really loud may seem like fun revenge-type solutions, the problem will in all likelyhood persist and the brunt of your vengence will be felt by the dog and not the owner.

The real issue is the owner. I have a serious bone to pick with owners who don't take properly house of their pets, refuse to train them, neglect them and generally forget to take care of animals they pledged to care for. Here is SoCal, the kennels are overflowing with dogs that were cute & cuddly when they were pups, and now will most likely need to be put down. There ought to be stiffer fines and penalties for those owners. This owner is most likely neglecting his dog as much as ignoring your complaints. I would also try some of these approaches:

- First I would try to make friends with the neighbor. Maybe you can walk the dog sometime, get to know his name, pay attention to him, etc.. Pretty soon the dog will be listening to you more than the owner. He will know your smell and listen to you when you want him to stop barking.

- If that does not work or the owner is not interested, call one of the local rescues and tell them that this owner is neglecting his charge. They take this stuff much more seriously than Animal Control. They will interview the other neighbors and raise a heck of a stink about it, certainly a lot more than the owner wants. And he'll also make an extra effort to quiet his dog when they come around to investigate.

- Another approach is to spray citrus oil, eucalyptus oil, geranium oil, lavender oil, lemongrass oil, or menthol on the fence between your two properties. The dog will definitely not like that and stay on the other side of his property, hopefully out of barking-noise-range. I've also been told that tansy and society garlic or not really popular with canines. And if there's a strong wind it will irritate your neighbor too.

- Finally, as someone else hinted, get a bigger dog. In the animal world, size matters and tipically tiny dogs, especially terriers, have a loud bark but not a big bite. But a big deep woof every so often will quiet him down I'm sure, especially if there's a fence between your properties and the little dog does not know really what he's up against. Pitbulls and Stafordshire terriers are the exception - they'll attack most anything even if it's suicide (they're not that bright), but I don't recommend anyone adopting those anyhow.

But the most important thing is to figure out why the dog is barking so much. My guess is that there is something irritating the dog. If you deal with that, you will have the best chance of success.

Forum Regular
    I'm not a dog owner, so correct me if this is wrong, but I think a dog reprimanding another will do it by growling more then barking. Maybe this is only true once dominance has been determined. So, maybe a low woof or growl triggered by the barking could help. I often bark back at dogs that bark at me, but I've never had it do much but confuse the dog a little at first.

Forum Regular

movie??

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Weren't you in a movie with Jack Lemon and Ann Margaret?

Who are they?? are they dog owners??

your bird in your hand is not as good as your bird in a bush!

Forum Regular

barking??

Quote Originally Posted by curiousburke
    I'm not a dog owner, so correct me if this is wrong, but I think a dog reprimanding another will do it by growling more then barking. Maybe this is only true once dominance has been determined. So, maybe a low woof or growl triggered by the barking could help. I often bark back at dogs that bark at me, but I've never had it do much but confuse the dog a little at first.

Bark at the dog?? I have been listening to the barking p.o.s. for 1.5 years and Im ready to start shooting at it!! not barking at it..

Forum Regular
    Hey, if this is a parts list to build a device to make the dogs ears bleed,Please put it in laymens terms or where I can purchase one.. and Im a dog lover too. I have two,but mine are trained not to bark.And I have respect and consideration for my neighbors,except this one!!

Forum Regular

why??

barks because the lowlife owner ties him up on his back porch which the dog does not like.the back porch does not have any screen or walls on it . its about 45feet from my bedroom window, you can hear the pos bark a block away,loud deep bark.does not stop barking untill he takes him in.

Forum Regular

no good..

would not work,this guy installs the music and amps in cars for a livin.

Forum Regular

chained up.

He puts the dog in the back porch and ties him up with about a 6 foot chain,the dog hates this so it barks non stop untill he takes him back in.big dog , big bark,about 45 feet from my bedroom window,and in to my house.

Forum Regular

barks cause the owners a idiot.

because the owner ties him up on the back porch on a 6 foot chain,the dog does not like this,so he barks untill they take him back in.

nightflier
    I think you should complain to the local dog rescue. And see if you can get any of the other neighbors to complain as well.

I agree, that owner is an idiot (maybe he should be chained to the back porch for six hours).

Well that explains it. You chain it up and even the most placid canine will become agressive. Also sounds like an untrained and not cared for dog. Things like that make me mad.
    As long as the dog is on the chain there is nothing that will stop him barking. The more you antagonise him (with other noise) the more angry he will become, and a bark collar will make no difference whilst he is chained up. It is damn right cruel.
    A chain is like a lead to a dog. It's an extention to their own private space. Remove that and it shrinks.
    As for size. In the canine kingdom, size does not matter. Dogs have no sense of size. Some of my Dachshunds I'll use for earthwork have absolutly no idea that the fox they encounter underground is bigger than them. They also do not shy away from any other big dog or other animal.They will track and hold at bay, wounded deer, wild boar, etc.
    Also if you shout at a barking dog, all that will do is sound to the dog that you are joining in in the barking.
    Positive re-inforcement is the only way you will train a dog unless you want to break him. Getting to know a chained up animal can be very dangerous as the animal is confused and frightened, which is the usual reason why they bite.
    Dogs are pack animals and left to their own devices without any freedom they will turn nasty.
    Going for a walk with the dog will be much more important to him than even who feeds him. As it is the action of going out together to hunt that is the strongest instinct for a dog, which needs satisfying.
    At a last point most often an agressive dog is confused about its position in the pack. Even if the pack is only two (you and the dog). The paradox is that it does not like top spot, but will try and reach that unles you can show him that you are in charge and remove that burden of trying from him. The moment that is communicated the dog will turn into a different animal almost in an instant. Something I have seen time and time again and still find incredible.
    I have got 8 dogs at home in 2 breeds and they all know that I have top spot and not one feels the need to bark in the home.The only creature that feels the need to bark is our Parrot.

Good luck

Bernd
    Last edited by Bernd; 08-15-2006 at 10:15 PM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

nightflier
    Bernd,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, terriers are somewhat stubborn that way. I believe dachs were trained to be fearless no matter what they encountered in the hole. Anyhow, my observation at the dog park has been that big dogs typically scare the little ones pretty good when it comes to it. The only exception being dogs that are poorly trained or that have generations of training in agressive behavior (pits, perdigueros, and borzois come to mind), that need a strong handler to train them properly. But I suppose there are too many exceptions to the rule, so size I guess does not matter often enough.

That said, I wholeheartdly concur that antagonizing the dog will only make things worse, and antagonizing the owner over this risks having him take it out on the dog. Painting the fence with citrus oil is probably not going to help either. I would seriously consider calling an animal rescue if the dog is being abused.

In short, there is no electronic noise device that will be effective here.

Thread Information