Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar

Cleaned up the vinyl....have a music room now

Well my wife has been very patient as I have slowly been stacking up the vinyl in the old dining room. We happened to be near an IKEA last weekend and that had some bookshelves that did the trick nicely. Went ahead and moved everything again and set up a small music room.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700
    Rogers BBC Monitors LS3/6

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I love it. Looks great. Those Ikea cabinets, what's the exact model kid? I'm going to look into those, we have an Ikea down the road from us, about an hour or so. The vinyl looks terrific on them...

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    I love it. Looks great. Those Ikea cabinets, what's the exact model kid? I'm going to look into those, we have an Ikea down the road from us, about an hour or so. The vinyl looks terrific on them...
    For lack of a better term the model is called EXPEDIT (101-030.88) but there are a couple of variations which are slightly smaller. The nice thing about these is if you wanted to use the top to place gear they are wide enough to accomodate most components. From a practical stand point they are also easy to put together and are solid once the are put together. My only complaint is that the finish is fairly thin and prone to scratching if you are not careful.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

I'm a bit of an Expedit guy, too...

Guess I'm the only one not on the Expedit train...my wife loves any excuse to go to Ikea.

At it again........ I keep saying no more then a month or two goes by and........
    I decided to put most of the Kenwood SS into one place. Camera is very cheap and does not show the very good condition the gear is in. While all of this gear except the DAC was bought in thrift or on CL I am fortunate that I am only the second owner and the first owner's took very good care of it. I suppose this might have been what a decent mid-fi set up would have looked like circa 1989...... At some point I will figure something out with the vintage silver-face gear.
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Looks like a control panel from the cockpit of a spacecraft! Awesome. kid, what CDP's have you got in there?

I'm interested in your single drawer style, particularily Sony. I was looking at a CD-670 in mint condition locally. This uses two mono PCM56p's, supposedly a really nice dual conversion that competes with the Philips TDA series.

I guess I'm wondering if you have anything of a similar vintage, and what your thoughts are.

Looks like a control panel from the cockpit of a spacecraft! Awesome. kid, what CDP's have you got in there?

I'm interested in your single drawer style, particularily Sony. I was looking at a CD-670 in mint condition locally. This uses two mono PCM56p's, supposedly a really nice dual conversion that competes with the Philips TDA series.

I guess I'm wondering if you have anything of a similar vintage, and what your thoughts are.
    The Sony is a DVP-NS315 which is only about 7-8 years old that I think I picked up somewhere for about $15. I have never opened it up to see what it has inside though I think it uses dual lasers. I originally just got it to replace a higher end Marantz that I was using as a transport for my MSB Link DAC. I know many people say that the transport does affect the quality of sound from your DAC but at this point I really don't see the investment worth the return to upgrade to a nicer transport. The Sony is quite and plays almost every type of disc that I have thrown in it.

The other CDP in the stack is a Kenwood DP-R3080 which dates from around 96-97. From what I have been able to tell it was a mid-line piece from within the Kenwood line-up at the time. I just finished listening to Jakob Dylan's "Women & Country" on it along with the Kenwood KA-1100SD and the KEF C35's and it was excellent. It is always dicey picking up older CDP's because short term testing does not always reveal laser pick-up problems. So far so good with this one.....
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    Today I got a picture with all my last upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    Today I got a picture with all my last upgrades.

Great pics Dak-wish I had your camera (and a few of those pieces of gear as well.. )
    I think you got me beat on the amount of Kenwood gear but it might be close......
    Is everything connected to speakers?
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    Just the Kenwood stuff is connected to speakers. I don't have that many speakers for each unit I have. I even have Kenwood surround receiver but I listen to it only when I am watching movies ( I can't stand listening music on it, the sound is horrible compared with all my other gears but for movies is perfect).

Well I just turned 23 last month so for 23 years old man I think I got some good stuff!

New Camera...

Picked up a camera for $25 at the thrift so I thought I'd use it to add to this post....... Still does not show the gear in the best light so to speak but for the money spent it fits inot the overall theme of the set-up.........
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Chicago IL
    I have a Cannon 10 mega pixels and t takes amazing pictures. I bought it at bestbuy for like 200 something. I am very satisfied with it.

Ajani
    Very nice pics!

I have one little question though:

Why do you need so many components in one system?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Very nice pics!

I have one little question though:

Why do you need so many components in one system?
    AJ

Actually there are two systems in there. one for me and one for my wife

My wife's is pretty basic with the KA-1100 SD integrated amp/Kenwood tuner and CDP-multi-disc player and a pair of KEF C35's. Since she was often confused by the buttons on my pre-amp and/or was forgetting to turn off the other components this allows her to listen to music and she only has to turn the amp and the CDP player.

The other set-up is mine and has my Kenwood Basic gear/Nak tape deck etc. along with Polk 10's. If I want to wake up the house in the morning this system does the job.......
    NAD D3020
    Denon 2910
    Denon DMD 1000
    MSB Link DAC III
    Von Schweikert VR2
    NAD 7240PE
    NAD 5240
    Hughes AK 100
    Tascam 122
    Technics SL 1700

Moving day.....again......

Had to rearrange things again since getting the Heresy's. Found a home for the EV Leyton's upstairs in the spare bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Had to rearrange things again since getting the Heresy's. Found a home for the EV Leyton's upstairs in the spare bedroom.
    I'm diggin the blue and brown. Seems like that might be a kick back, puff puff, and chill room.

Yep nice indeed kid. I'm still envious of those EVs. The guy I bought my foam surrounds from had 2 of the biggest ElectroVoice speakers i have ever seen. They weren't as big as LaScala's, but pretty damn close. Each one was parked in a corner of the room. I didn't get the model number, or hear them for that matter. They had beautiful wood finish, just gorgeous. I think they were Centurions, but I'm not sure. I think I will email him.

kid, they are EV Interface D. He says they're the best sounding speaker he has ever heard, and he's heard alot. He sold off his Cornwall's for them.

kid, they are EV Interface D. He says they're the best sounding speaker he has ever heard, and he's heard alot. He sold off his Cornwall's for them.

Wow-they look very impressive.
    If he sold off Cornwalls for these then they must be something. I will have to see what drivers those things had in them but it might not be too surprising. From what I understand EV made drivers for Klipsch so there is some family ties there. Somehow I doubt I will come across these on my tours but you never know, I did not expect to find the Leyton's much less pay only $10 for them.......

The Interface series and the D's in particular were Electro Voice's assault on the "State Of The Art" in speakers in the middle 70's. They have superb bass extension and can play very loud. They were very well reviewed. I heard a pair of the smaller models and they had bass in the dual sub woofer area.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    The Interface series and the D's in particular were Electro Voice's assault on the "State Of The Art" in speakers in the middle 70's. They have superb bass extension and can play very loud. They were very well reviewed. I heard a pair of the smaller models and they had bass in the dual sub woofer area.
    I've been readin up on them. I guess they have a plate on the rear which has a warning emblazoned on it. Basically "these speakers can damage your hearing"...awesome.

Chicago IL
    Here is the new update since today with some of the toys I own:

LEFT SIDE:

Sansui 881 Receiver
    Sansui G-7000 Receiver
    Sansui 9090DB Receiver

Sansui AU-717 Amplifier
    Sansui TU-717 Tuner

Fisher CA-7000 Amplifier
    Kenwood KA-7100 Amplifier

RIGHT SIDE:

Kenwood KD-76F Turntable
    Kenwood KT-87 Tuner
    Kenwood C1 Preamplifier
    Kenwood M1 Amplifier
    Kenwood GE-1100 Equalizer
    Kenwood DP-M98 CD Player

Marantz 2250B
    Marantz 2230 ( 2 of them)

Fisher CR-125 Cassette Deck
    Fisher FM-660 Tuner
    Fisher CA-880 Amplifier

I have more goodies but I can't put all of them on one rack.

Here is a picture:

Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    Have you ever tried separating your speaker by more than two feet with nothing in between them?

rw

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Have you ever tried separating your speaker by more than two feet with nothing in between them?

rw
    No I guess I have always done it that way out of some sense of balance. Certainly I could put the rack off to the side and widen the space between the speakers. Will probably have to contend with the WAF but it is worth the try.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information