Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_Broke View Post
    Well I know that this Sony receiver is powerful enough to power bigger speakers since I use to connect them to bigger ones and had no problem. I don't think the receiver was going to clipping it was the speakers getting close to max and likely I would blow the woofer first if the fuse wasn't there since I play alot of bass tester songs. The amp is powerful enough and it does play clean and loud. But the point of this topic was to make sure that having 4 ohms speakers connected to a 8 ohms receiver was fine. But I guess it will be fine if I don't have it super loud but eatherway there is no way I can have it super loud since these speakers are small bookshelf size. Now if I had a bigger speakers that is also 4 ohms then probley if I have the receiver too high the receiver might go onto protection mode.

Basicly if you guys are saying that having the receiver very loud will overheat then probley my speakers are fine since eatherway I can't turn it super loud since these speakers isn't like 200 watts. It's around 80 watts or 100 watts at most. It says 150 watts pink noise continuous power but I really don't think you can have them that loud for a long long time. It did say they tested it in a 2 hour duration so probley if you keep it around 150 watts more than that it might blow them I don't know.
    one misconception you have...that a speakers size is whats important.
    I HAVE seen small speakers with inefficient drivers that are
    receiver killers, and huge speakers you could run on a clock radio.
    AND the impedance used to be a lot more important than it is now.
    On receivers that are more honest with their amperage its less important, on a receiver with IC amps and designed at
    the margins its more so.()sony)
    RECEIVERS tend to have one power supply, the amps that it turns out is all of the power you will ever have , and matters
    more than watts, which is why they use watts.
    BETTER amps have separate power supplies for each channel,
    typical in separate amplifiers , nonexistent in receivers under a grand.
    EMOTIVA has a cheap (but not shoddy) amp with 125wpc,
    around 350 bucks, highway robbery, an amp like this
    should be at least five hundred bucks. LIKE most separates it
    will run both four and eight ohm speakers, improve the sound of your system immensely, and improve your life overall.
    Any separate amp will do this, but the Emo is just the best bargain. I WAS A SKEPTIC, but now a believer.
    Anyway I WOULDN'T worry about it much, most receivers run
    a little hot these days, ANYWAY.
    Just enjoy, and get a sub. You need a sub.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVI Broke
    I didn't think it would make much difference in that case but will it sound different just because one has a thin coating of titanium over the polycarbonate dome tweeters?
    Yes. It will sound different. The introduction of any metal, be it titanium or beryllium or whatever, will add a tinny quality to the upper registers of reproduced sound.

To answer your follow up question; no, playing a 4 ohm speaker through an 8ohm receiver will not necessarily create distortion.

The problem that you have will have nothing to do with the power supplied to the speaker. The problems you'll encounter will be due to the lack of size of the speaker enclosure combined with the added titanium coating.

For instance, the Focal Grand Utopia with beryllium tweeters will have the same sound characteristics in the upper registers as your JBL's...both will have issues with a tinny resonance and "piercing" quality. On the Focal, some of this is negated by the significantly larger enclosure which adds greater bass elements to the overall sound.

Basically, your JBL's will sound like the Focal Grand Utopias but without the bass.
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Mutant from table 9
    None of these cowboys know what they are talking about Spanky!

If you mix 4 ohm speakers with an 8 ohm receiver, it is a fire hazard! Your speakers will catch fire, your plastic dinosaurs will melt, your house will burn down and your mother will cry! Why do you want to make your mom cry?!?! Why, oh, why? Oh, the humanity!

Either that, or they will work just fine until a thermal protector kicks in...but I could be wrong.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks View Post
    Yes. It will sound different. The introduction of any metal, be it titanium or beryllium or whatever, will add a tinny quality to the upper registers of reproduced sound.

To answer your follow up question; no, playing a 4 ohm speaker through an 8ohm receiver will not necessarily create distortion.

The problem that you have will have nothing to do with the power supplied to the speaker. The problems you'll encounter will be due to the lack of size of the speaker enclosure combined with the added titanium coating.

For instance, the Focal Grand Utopia with beryllium tweeters will have the same sound characteristics in the upper registers as your JBL's...both will have issues with a tinny resonance and "piercing" quality. On the Focal, some of this is negated by the significantly larger enclosure which adds greater bass elements to the overall sound.

Basically, your JBL's will sound like the Focal Grand Utopias but without the bass.
    So I guess it's not good that the Control 1Xtreme uses titanium coating and makes it sound like there is less bass and have more tinny sound? Since the way you said it sounded like the Control 1 speakers should not use any metal on the tweeters and only use plain polycarbonate dome tweeters since the enclosure is small. Or did I missunderstood you?

Dustin is a hot white boy Dustin_Broke's Avatar
    All I can say is that if it's not going to sound good as the Control 1 I have then maybe I should just resell the Control 1Xtreme on Ebay. I thought basicly they are the same speakers but just one is 4 ohms and other is 8 ohms.

Eatherway it seems like the best choice is to keep the Control 1 I have that is 4 ohms since it probley sounds the best just because the tweeters don't have an metal coating to make that tinny sound of something.
    Last edited by Dustin_Broke; 06-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Suspended
    Dustin, you always talk as if you don't have these speakers or something, for goodness sakes hook them up one pair at a time and compare for yourself. It's good to get advice but when you have both sets right there.... listen and trust your own ears. When the speaker is in balance I personally like titanium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information