Forum Regular

Sony receiver question.

I have a Sony STR-DE545 that recently started acting up. The 'A' speaker channel shuts itself off and if you tap the receiver, it will usually come back on. I've had a very hard time finding any place that is willing to repair this, or charge me a reasonable price for the repair. I know I don't know everything about home audio equipment, but it seems to me that this shouldn't cost more than $100. The receiver only cost $259.

Forum Regular
    Sorry...but most any repair will be upwards of $100.00. Time to start shopping if this is going to be a problem you can't live with. For such an inexpensive receiver, I don't think it's worth repairing. I would suggest shying away from Sony. They can make good TV's but when it comes to audio gear...there are normally better deals to be had.

Mutant from table 9
    Part of the reason consumer electronics are so cheap these days is because they are not made to be repaired, but to be replaced. Since they are not made with repair in mind, much cheaper manufacturing methods can be used.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. I agree that any repair will cost you probably more and be a greater hasle than the receiver is worth. I've had great experience with Onkyo equipment--better connectivity, better options, better build than Sony.

Pioneer, Yamaha, and Marantz also make solid units at lower prices.

Good luck

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Hey Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. I agree that any repair will cost you probably more and be a greater hasle than the receiver is worth. I've had great experience with Onkyo equipment--better connectivity, better options, better build than Sony.

Pioneer, Yamaha, and Marantz also make solid units at lower prices.

Good luck
    I've been thinking about buying either a Marantz or Onkyo. I was just bummed about this receiver because even though it was a more inexpensive one, it sounds great.

Forum Regular
    As I may concur about the mass market Sony receivers. I will point out that Sony ES more so the older gear is a whole differant story. In that older gear Sony showed what they could do.

Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by 2chAlex
    As I may concur about the mass market Sony receivers. I will point out that Sony ES more so the older gear is a whole differant story. In that older gear Sony showed what they could do.
    Sony does sell the most receivers (volume), due to their name reputation and we laugh because we know that there is so much more out there. But Sony does make some good gear...I do believe that the STRDA5200ES is one of the best receivers in the market today. Most reviewers say it has the BEST ai (on screen display) available.

I think that they finally got away from digital amps. Their power supply's were catching on fire!

Forum Regular
    Agreed that Sony has produced some good products, especially in the ES line. My lower end Sony receiver circa 1990 is still in use at a friends house and runs great. However, this post was started regarding a fairly new low priced Sony receiver. I was just saying there are better options at that price point than what Sony has to offer. Maybe I should have clarified. Furthermore, I have found when shopping for audio gear that Sony is always a little over priced and not garnering the praise that Denon and Yamaha receive at any price point. I have also been told that reliability on their low end products is very suspect.
    Last edited by brulaha; 06-09-2007 at 04:30 PM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I have the same problem with a Technics receiver. The heat sink on top of the IC can be tapped and it will not cause the overload circuit to activate. I have it in the shop since I do not want to buy another right now, but the repair guy says that Sony/Technics have weak solder joints on the IC which exposed to heat and contration over time will break or not work correctly. I will see if it can be fixed, but this can be a problem for manay receivers as the companies want you to go out and buy a new one....

Thread Information