Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Post Introductions Forum, indeed

Hi everyone.

I believe I did my due diligence in searching AR forums for the infamous "Introductions Forum" and found none. Seems as though most all the newbies just jump in with a new thread in this Forum. So, that is exactly what I am doing too!

(Maybe the website/AR forums adminstrator will actually create an Introductions Forum and move all these posts to that new Forum. --- HINT, HINT, HINT ---)

I have been involved with audio since about the mid-60's and home theater since it was pretty much first conceived. I can remember hooking the TV speaker leads to my reel-to-reel recorder to tape episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. My parents didn't think that was a particularly great idea; what with all the high voltage tubes (and cobwebs) under the family's one and only console TV.

I quickly evolved to more musical audio as I went to college with my super-sized portable stereo "record player." As I recall, it was made by Weber and must have weighted over 50 pounds with its twin detactable speakers. After college and marriage, I wanted to go truly hi-fi. In, 1972, I puchased my first true stereo receiver, a Pioneer SX-525, with a Dual turntable (I forget the model and which Shure cartridge I bought), and my first sealed hi-fi speakers; the Jensen Model 4 Three-way Speaker Systems. I was going to by the Dynaco speakers but they were ONLY two-way speakers and the salesman told me that three-way speakers had a much better mid-range. My first and best lesson in audio shopping; always listen to your own advice! Anyway, I still have the speakers although I've had to replace the woofer in one (and I just looked, the foam is now gone in the other). Well, they have been long since relegated to my secondary AV room.

As you can tell by my assorted audio/video assets, I basically keep stuff for a long time. Mainly out of necessity as raising a family is really expensive and is not conducive to buying a lot of new stuff. I do keep upgrading from time-to-time, but most of my stuff tends to be what I call serviceable, that is, not high-end/expensive.

In the video arena I started out buying a LaserDisc player rather than a BetaMax or VHS Video Cassette Recorder. I was looking for the best quality video and audio although I really did like the idea of actually recording TV shows. Besides, I hated the fact that RCA was giving video disks a bad name with their infernal video disk players. Video disks made out of really thin vinyl! Everyone who every played a 33 1/3 LP record album knew those movie disks would start skipping and wearing out far too quickly. Perhaps that is the reason that I have an aversion about buying RCA equipment even to this day.

I hope you can tell that I am very enthusiastic about A/V and have a long and storied past. Heck, I even remember reading magazines with names like High Fidelity and Stereo Review and watching them evolve into the AV magazines of today.

I believe I have written enough for my first post. I look forward to many more exciting adventures in the world of AV.

Welcome, rbartyczak.

Welcome to AR.

We're a pretty laid back bunch here, so I doubt you'll ever see anything as formal as a Introduction Forum. Not a bad idea, tho...

It sounds like you've got a lot of experience and we're looking forward to you sharing your opinions.

Welcome to AR. Always good to meet new friends.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

There's no "h" in "Jon"

Smile I would also like to introduce myself.

I would also like to introduce myself.

My name's Jon. I enjoy portable audio.

Thanks for your time.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Hey Jon, welcome to the forums.

New from Downunder

Well,
    I am glad to see it just wasn't me who couldn't find the elusive Introductions Forum but it seems this will do just fine.

Hello to all for Australia! Well it appears I will be in good company with other in this forum,I have been a long term music nut but been otherwise occupied for the past 5 or so years and let this passion slip somewhat.

My interest has been rekindled and so I am on a rebuilding path somewhat finding new interest in listening to the latest equipment offerings and what a change! I am currently building a new dedicated room 10m x 8m x 3.5m going the full deal with total sound proofing, dedicated 40 amp mains power supply ect.

I would welcome any comments on what to be aware of and just what to look out for as this room would primarily be for HIFI but a nice big projection/AV system just might find its way in also.

My other passion is Motorbikes but its about time I started acting my age in this area so I am toying with the idea of selling my Aprilia CER and this would give me some more cash to buy some new or pre-loved sound gear.

I look forward to being an active part of this site.

Suspended
    Welcome y'all!
    Quote Originally Posted by rbartyczak
    (Maybe the website/AR forums adminstrator will actually create an Introductions Forum and move all these posts to that new Forum. --- HINT, HINT, HINT ---)
    You're new. You'll learn.

Welcome Guys!

rbartyczak. i used to watch the Man from U.N.C.L.E. as a kid.

Good on ya Loco57. I would question your selling the Aprilla though. Nice bike. Shame about the wonderful Peter Brock RIP.... Have you ever heard of a chap named Rod Elliott? He's an Aussie also, and his site is very interesting. He seems like a very knowledgable audio engineer and although I don't quite agree on all of his opinions, he does offer a lot of insight...

Jon, by portable audio I'm assuming your talking about Apple's ipod. Great little device that. Welcome indeed!
    Last edited by O'Shag; 01-08-2008 at 08:45 PM.

Ajani
    Hi Everybody,

It's really good to be back on this site. I've been on this site on and off for about ten years now under 3 different usernames (not because I'm hiding from anybody but because my usernames have tended to expire, etc...).

So let me just re-introduce myself and pretend to be a newbie - This site got me hooked on the quest for high-end audio 10 year ago.... I was just a teen then and totally in love with one brand. A brand I thought was the greatest, the end-all of musical reproduction - Panasonic... lol... hey it was great at the time given my budget and where I was living, there really weren't any high-end stores around.... anyway I went to research a Technics (Panasonic) set-up on this site and got a true eye-opener about the world of audio. I went into the speaker section and saw a B&W Nautilus being reviewed for $60K.... I almost wet myself.... given that I had thought that $0.5K were extremely expensive and high-end speakers....

Anyway, I've gone from mini-systems to my first seperates (the Technics setup I mentioned earlier) to NAD and Mission, Rotel and Marantz.... and just fallen in love with this hobby.

Last time I was here I was looking for speakers in the $2-$3K range and had settled on three potential brands - Monitor Audio, Revel and Final Sound (Electrostats).... since then however, I haven't had the chance to rebuild my setup as I changed countries and got married... So for now I'll just be enjoying the forum and dreaming of the day when I can rebuild my 2 channel setup...

Suspended

Wink

Hi everyone.

I believe I did my due diligence in searching AR forums for the infamous "Introductions Forum" and found none. Seems as though most all the newbies just jump in with a new thread in this Forum. So, that is exactly what I am doing too!

I have been involved with audio since about the mid-60's and home theater since it was pretty much first conceived. I can remember hooking the TV speaker leads to my reel-to-reel recorder to tape episodes of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. My parents didn't think that was a particularly great idea; what with all the high voltage tubes (and cobwebs) under the family's one and only console TV.

I quickly evolved to more musical audio as I went to college with my super-sized portable stereo "record player." As I recall, it was made by Weber and must have weighted over 50 pounds with its twin detactable speakers. After college and marriage, I wanted to go truly hi-fi. In, 1972, I puchased my first true stereo receiver, a Pioneer SX-525, with a Dual turntable (I forget the model and which Shure cartridge I bought), and my first sealed hi-fi speakers; the Jensen Model 4 Three-way Speaker Systems. I was going to by the Dynaco speakers but they were ONLY two-way speakers and the salesman told me that three-way speakers had a much better mid-range. My first and best lesson in audio shopping; always listen to your own advice! Anyway, I still have the speakers although I've had to replace the woofer in one (and I just looked, the foam is now gone in the other). Well, they have been long since relegated to my secondary AV room.

As you can tell by my assorted audio/video assets, I basically keep stuff for a long time. Mainly out of necessity as raising a family is really expensive and is not conducive to buying a lot of new stuff. I do keep upgrading from time-to-time, but most of my stuff tends to be what I call serviceable, that is, not high-end/expensive.

In the video arena I started out buying a LaserDisc player rather than a BetaMax or VHS Video Cassette Recorder. I was looking for the best quality video and audio although I really did like the idea of actually recording TV shows. Besides, I hated the fact that RCA was giving video disks a bad name with their infernal video disk players. Video disks made out of really thin vinyl! Everyone who every played a 33 1/3 LP record album knew those movie disks would start skipping and wearing out far too quickly. Perhaps that is the reason that I have an aversion about buying RCA equipment even to this day.

I hope you can tell that I am very enthusiastic about A/V and have a long and storied past. Heck, I even remember reading magazines with names like High Fidelity and Stereo Review and watching them evolve into the AV magazines of today.

I believe I have written enough for my first post. I look forward to many more exciting adventures in the world of AV.
    Welcome to AV. The salesman was correct a three way system is superior to a two way one , all things being equal. The problem with a two way system is not the mid range but the high end. Two way speaker systems were pioneered by JBL and Altec
    Lansing.

In the early days of audio , the technology did not require a high end as most records high end was limited. That changed in the 1960's. Many speakers sold prior to the early 1960's were Coaxial , pioneer by Tannoy , University and Jensen speaker companies.
    JBL's famous D130 was a coaxial speaker.

JBL's Hartsfield started off as a two way system and was considered one of the finest producing horn of it's era . Altec Lansing 's Voice of the Theatre speaker was a two way system , still sold today. When you attended a movie theatre , stadium or arena the speaker systems were usually two way.

A good two way speaker system is superior to a poor three are four way system.
    The problem with a good two way system is size and cost. Mostly size.

Hi folks, my name is Jack and my handle is jjcllc03. I've been into high fidelity ever since my dad taught me the hobby. He had high fidelity systems in the early 60s and I really started my own in the 80s and 90s. Now I have a media room which does double duty as a high fidelity listening room and a home theater. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone here!

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Holy Moses! Thats like 5 new members, and Melvin all in 1 thread. Thats got to be a record!

Nice to see some new faces. Too bad you all were not here before Christmas. GM throws a mean party, and we all had a hoot.

Looking forward to discussing A/V with you. Be sure to check out the other sub-forums for music, film, and some off-topic if you so desire.

Anyway thanks for stopping by, and enjoy. We are a pretty decent bunch, and don't be offended with a little humor directed your way!
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

old & quite mad
    Hi everyone.

(Maybe the website/AR forums administrator will actually create an Introductions Forum and move all these posts to that new Forum. --- HINT, HINT, HINT ---)

I too searched for this elusive "Introductions forum" that I was directed to ("Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our Introductions forum.").

I went so far as to do a search on the word "introduction", which led me to this post, and I am hereby hogging in and introducing myself.

Hello. I am me. I got into this audio stuff when I seized control of the family record player at the age of 7 and would not give it back. It was some monstrous beast that had a hinged lid made of vinyl wrapped plywood, a "tone arm" that probably weighed a good 3 or 4 pounds, and some sort of paper cone speaker screwed to the front of the grille. I had to open it up to see how it worked, and to the amazement of not a few, I put it back together and it still made noise. This was during the Kennedy administration. The equipment has improved somewhat since those days.

Today I spend my free time in the relentless but possibly futile pursuit of multi-channel audio (read: SACD/DVD-A). To paraphrase that great 21st century American philosopher David Chappelle, it usually doesn't work, but when it does, man is it sweet.

In any event, that's my story and I plan on sticking with it. Please feel free to resume your normal activities.

Quote Originally Posted by oaqm
    I too searched for this elusive "Introductions forum" that I was directed to ("Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our Introductions forum.").

I went so far as to do a search on the word "introduction", which led me to this post, and I am hereby hogging in and introducing myself.

Hello. I am me. I got into this audio stuff when I seized control of the family record player at the age of 7 and would not give it back. It was some monstrous beast that had a hinged lid made of vinyl wrapped plywood, a "tone arm" that probably weighed a good 3 or 4 pounds, and some sort of paper cone speaker screwed to the front of the grille. I had to open it up to see how it worked, and to the amazement of not a few, I put it back together and it still made noise. This was during the Kennedy administration. The equipment has improved somewhat since those days.

Today I spend my free time in the relentless but possibly futile pursuit of multi-channel audio (read: SACD/DVD-A). To paraphrase that great 21st century American philosopher David Chappelle, it usually doesn't work, but when it does, man is it sweet.

In any event, that's my story and I plan on sticking with it. Please feel free to resume your normal activities.
    Hey, another new face. I like you avatar. Looking forward to seeing you in other forums. Don't be put off by the occasional loony post by any of us. Sometimes we can wander a wee bit off topic!
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Hello,
    Welcome to AR....
    Glad you were able to find your way in.
    Do you have any upgrades planned? We like upgrades. We live for upgrades. If not our own, then those of others. So, got any in the works? huh? Do ya?

Mike
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

old & quite mad
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Hello,
    Do you have any upgrades planned? We like upgrades..... huh? Do ya?
    Upgrades....

I have my eye on some bigger maggies (and it gets the fabric all squishy, but that's another story), but I really need a bigger place to live before I pull the trigger on that. I have been maggied since '94, until I have a room full of 20.1s that is always a potential upgrade path.

I ponder replacing my old CD spinner, but so far I am having a very hard time finding anything that just blows it away. I have looked long and hard at the Oracle players (I just love that "Day the Earth Stood Still" UFO design) but when I A/B'd a 1500 against mine, the audible differences were very small, and certainly not worth the 5K difference.

Maybe some new speakers for the bedroom, but what I want back there is really a pair of JBL L-100s (or something very similar) and no one makes what I would call a bookshelf/studio monitor like that any longer. All bookshelf speakers now are the size of actual books and the prices... have you looked at Totems and Mark & Daniel stuff lately?

I could always be tempted to get a Butler 3150 to replace the 3 mono amps that drive the center and rear channels, just have to find one that is being given away.... which is why I spend many hours on the 'gon, looking for that deal.

I know, this is pretty boring. Sorry.

Upgrades....

I have my eye on some bigger maggies (and it gets the fabric all squishy, but that's another story), but I really need a bigger place to live before I pull the trigger on that. I have been maggied since '94, until I have a room full of 20.1s that is always a potential upgrade path.

I ponder replacing my old CD spinner, but so far I am having a very hard time finding anything that just blows it away. I have looked long and hard at the Oracle players (I just love that "Day the Earth Stood Still" UFO design) but when I A/B'd a 1500 against mine, the audible differences were very small, and certainly not worth the 5K difference.

Maybe some new speakers for the bedroom, but what I want back there is really a pair of JBL L-100s (or something very similar) and no one makes what I would call a bookshelf/studio monitor like that any longer. All bookshelf speakers now are the size of actual books and the prices... have you looked at Totems and Mark & Daniel stuff lately?

I could always be tempted to get a Butler 3150 to replace the 3 mono amps that drive the center and rear channels, just have to find one that is being given away.... which is why I spend many hours on the 'gon, looking for that deal.

I know, this is pretty boring. Sorry.
    Boring? Maggies? These two words do not belong in the same post. (I know, two wrongs don't make a right. But three rights do make a left) I love Maggies. They were on my list for a long time. I ended up going with a pair of hybrids though. These are much easier for my receiver to drive. I'd love to step up to separates. I may get there some day, but it doesn't look like it will be soon. Till then, I'll settle for what I have. It's not like I'm suffering. My only upgrade this year was to hang a few pictures. Doesn't seem like much, but these pictures are about an inch and a half thick. Hollow behind them. At least, they were hollow. Now they have insulation stuffed in them. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

old & quite mad
    My only upgrade this year was to hang a few pictures. Doesn't seem like much, but these pictures are about an inch and a half thick. Hollow behind them. At least, they were hollow. Now they have insulation stuffed in them. It's not a huge difference, but every little bit helps.
    Money spent on the room is money very well spent. I sincerely do not intend to start any fires by saying this, but the room is half of what you hear when you power your toys up. DIY corner traps, acoustic foam on the walls, bass traps, clouds, extra rugs, wall hangings, fake ficus trees in the corners, all of that stuff comes into play and you can take a so-so system and really make it shine in the right room.

Money spent on the room is money very well spent. I sincerely do not intend to start any fires by saying this, but the room is half of what you hear when you power your toys up. DIY corner traps, acoustic foam on the walls, bass traps, clouds, extra rugs, wall hangings, fake ficus trees in the corners, all of that stuff comes into play and you can take a so-so system and really make it shine in the right room.
    I think that most here will agree with you on this.

Yep. I totally agree. For example, the kind of paint you can use can also make a HUGE difference.

BTW how far apart do you place your speakers? Word on the street is that 12' is the universal standard for any speaker placement. A guy on this board conducted a test on the theory, and it was proven (until his speaker was stolen off the porch).
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Yep. I totally agree. For example, the kind of paint you can use can also make a HUGE difference.

BTW how far apart do you place your speakers? Word on the street is that 12' is the universal standard for any speaker placement. A guy on this board conducted a test on the theory, and it was proven (until his speaker was stolen off the porch).
    Try not to chase off the new guy.

Try not to chase off the new guy.
    Right. Sorry. I should have qualified my statement. IF you are going to leave a speaker on your porch, MAKE SURE to lock it up.

(sometimes I can be a bit of a smartass. If your not sure...just ask. GM shadows me to keep me in line. He's a bit of a "stalker", but does host a mean Christmas Party)
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    ...IF you are going to leave a speaker on your porch, MAKE SURE to lock it up.
    Yeah, NOW he tells me.

Welcome all!

old & quite mad
    BTW how far apart do you place your speakers?
    Speaker placement. Another topic that can start a BBQ.

George Cardas has done a lot of work on that subject and shares his thoughts here:
    http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=room+setup

There is the Equilateral Triangle School of Placement:
    http://www.soundvideo.com/value_speakers.htm

There is the Degrees of Separation School:
    http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/12/...ze-your-sound/

And Mister Linkwitz has a few words to say:
    http://www.linkwitzlab.com/surround_system.htm

My mains are about 9 feet apart. They are 9 feet apart because if they were 10 feet apart, one of them would get walked into, a lot. Placement has to be done in the real world, and until I hit that 9 figure lottery payout, my real world consists a room that I have to make work. Rest assured that if I do score a bazillion dollars of a lottery, I will build a home around a dedicated audio room that Mr. Cardas would approve of (not a home theater, that will be elsewhere... in fact, I will just buy a theater and have done with that).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information