Interconnect Cables

I consider the labelled or banded end of an interconnect cable to be the source end. Is this the generally accepted norm? Some cables are just plain. But when you purchase cables with a band or label at one end, often this means something, but they rarely tell you what. Somewhere along the way I think someone told me that this is the source end. Thank you!

Suspended
    the majority of my ICs have arrows but in many lower end cables they will most likely sound the same either way. Some cables are shielded in a certain way and those MFGs will advise if direction is important.

There will be those who will say any cable can be used both directions no matter the marking or MFG recommendations, but you will need to decide if it matters in your system.

Thanks, Lurker!
    I certainly cannot tell any difference - which is why I asked the question in the first place. LOL!

There is is a simple way to find out if [labeled] cable directionality have any meaning. If cable is shielded and the shield act also as return signal path, then cable's directionality is meaningless

Some of my cables are Tributaries brand - which I have much respect for. They do indeed have an arrow. The reason for the arrow is that one end is "grounded" and the other end is not. All of my cables are "RCA" - not XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by menschenstimme View Post
    Some of my cables are Tributaries brand - which I have much respect for. They do indeed have an arrow. The reason for the arrow is that one end is "grounded" and the other end is not. All of my cables are "RCA" - not XLR.
    I looked at Tributaries brand ICs and they do use two conductors (plus the shiled) configuration for their RCA cables. Although this configurtion allow the cable to be labeld as directional, electrically it will not matter. The shield will be at same [electrical] potential as ground whether connected at one end or two

Thread Information