AR Newbie Registered Member

Remote listening to Internet Radio streams?

From the Internet connected computer in my office, I would like to stream:

mp3's from my hard disk and

streaming Internet Radio, including:

XM Satellite from their website, Real streams (radio and real player), Windows Media Player (Ver. 10) streams, and various other streams, proprietary and nonproprietary

to my A/V receiver in the sitting room. I have an ethernet wire already run and would prefer to use this, although I can go with a WiFi type system if I can't find the right system with hardwire option.

Have looked at various devices: Streambox, Airport Express, Soundbridge, D-Link MediaLounge DSM-520, and several others (Sonos and Olive Musica are too expensive), but cannot determine which of these will handle my objectives (see above). I do not care if they can play the proprietary file formats such as Apple, WMA Protected, and other Internet purchased song files as I will only be playing my own ripped mp3's and listening to Internet Streams.

It is the latter that is the problem as the device advertising is very vague (purposely?) on this point.

I supose that any device that simply takes the output from my sound card will do this, no?

Can anyone point me to an Internet site that discusses this matter in detail, or perhaps might supply the answers themselves? Many thanks.

There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

i second that suggestion!

nightflier

Thread Information