Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm back

I'm back

Been in the hospital since 11/14. Was released from inpatient status 12/1. Had a full laryngectomy. So, I can no longer speak. Well I'm alive and very healthy otherwise. Nobody listened to me when I could talk so I'll be able to save my breath. My medical team is very enthusiastic about a full recovery.

I have chemo and radiation therapy to look forward to. At least that's done on an outpatient basis. Being without music for my hospital stay was bad for my mental health. I've got to get some sort of personal digital player. I just really, I mean really hate headphones.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welcome back and sorry to hear about the surgery but happy that your team is very enthusiastic about your recovery. Wishing you continued return to health.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Wow Joe, that's great news that you're home and on the road to a full recovery. Do you think that you'll want to learn to sign or is it still too early to think about that? What hospital were you in?
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

Glad to hear you're back in circulation, Joe. You know we're all routing for your full recovery.

I've always hated headphones too, but other than that, my new iPod Touch is great.

Hope for quick recovery and good health. There is nothing worth more than good health. Not even all the money in the world

Thanks for the kind responses. I was at Albert Einstein Medical Center in Phila.
    Learning Ameslan is an option. Currently I'm using a Lenovo netbook with a speech to text application. I don't have to learn anything new while using it and it has increased my typing speed.
    My doctors have been mentioning some sort of electronic device. It's apparently not the same as that vibrator thing some use.
    I've ordered some Grado SR80's and am looking around for a music player. I want something that plays FLAC files. Any recommendation would be helpful.
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Charm Thai™
    Keep the faith Joe! Sounds like you are one tough S.O.B.

I hope you enjoy those nice new Grado's you got

Glad to hear you are doing well Joe! Hang in there, that's a tough surgery to go through.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    I'm happy to hear that you're on the road to recovery Joe. I hope that the rest of your treatments go well and that the time passes quickly so that you're back to full health before you know it.

Forum Regular
    Good to have to you back Joe! Soon you will be a master of facial, eye, and telepathic expressions
    Stay strong Joe.

Thanks guys. That should have read text to speech application. I now sound like Stephen Hawking. I keep a lot of answers to questions I know my doctor will ask loaded and ready on a netbook.

Any suggestions for a portable player that plays FLAC files? There are plenty of iPod's available but I would prefer using FLAC files.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Glad to have you back, and wishing your life returns to normal as fast as possible.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9 View Post
    Any suggestions for a portable player that plays FLAC files? There are plenty of iPod's available but I would prefer using FLAC files.
    I convert my FLAC files to VBR MP3 using dBpoweramp Batch Converter, placing them in separate directory. I then link (but not move them) to my iTunes directory and let iTunes sync them to my iPod Touch.

This works well enough for me. It is only a tiny portion of my total music that I would ever want on my iPod. In any case, FLAC files would be quite a space hog even on a 32 GB Touch.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Been in the hospital since 11/14. Was released from inpatient status 12/1. Had a full laryngectomy. So, I can no longer speak. Well I'm alive and very healthy otherwise. Nobody listened to me when I could talk so I'll be able to save my breath. My medical team is very enthusiastic about a full recovery.

I have chemo and radiation therapy to look forward to. At least that's done on an outpatient basis. Being without music for my hospital stay was bad for my mental health. I've got to get some sort of personal digital player. I just really, I mean really hate headphones.

Bummer. As a life long stutter, I know how difficult it can be to be speech deficient, in a speech driven world. Some advice: Try to keep a good sense of humor; if not you'll go nuts. I was at Home Depot tonight trying to get some help. Took me 10 minutes to get my point across..

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Have a speedy recovery, Joe!

I, too use FLAC for my computer based music system, but simply convert them to Apple lossless for use with an iPhone.

Hey... Hey... HEY!!!!

Glad you're back Joe and sorry to hear about your health problems. As another member of the "double nickle club" I know that things start going south after a certain age. Here's hoping your medical problems are behind you (or at least manageble) and that you're on the road to a speedy recover.

Worf

Forum Regular
    Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery Joe. Take care.

cubdog
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Klipsch RF7II

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Joe, I second E-stats recommendation. I prefer FLAC, but I convert to Apple Lossless for my iPod.
    Sometimes, as Feanor does, I'll convert them to vbr mp3 if I'm working out or traveling on a plane or something. For the most part in these situations, any degradation in sound quality from the filetype is negated by the activity consuming my focus (or the background noise) so the space becomes more valuable.

Glad to hear you're back on the road to recovery. Take care.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

I suppose I'll have to go with an iPod. There's plenty of them available on CL. I'll be spending time in doctors waiting rooms and will need some distraction (music) to make the time go faster. I've got a pair of Grado SR-80's waiting for one.

MS: I stuttered when I was younger. I finally stopped when I realized I didn't care what people thought of my stuttering. Stuttering is a lot better than having no speech at all.

I've loaded my netbook with a text to speech application and a lot of answers to questions I'm certain the doctors will ask me during my next appointment (Wed). I can't wait to see their reaction to my imitation of Stephen Hawking!

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Thanks for all the kind thoughts. They are greatly appreciated.

MS: I stuttered when I was younger. I finally stopped when I realized I didn't care what people thought of my stuttering. Stuttering is a lot better than having no speech at all.
    You're the man Joe! Very good points. I appreciate the feedback.

Also, take care. I can only imagine what your going through now. But it must take a huge amount of courage. More then I've got.....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Suspended
    Well good to have you back JoeE, I also hope the best for you with what you are dealing with.

I use a text to speech program called Jaws, just curious what you have? I hear Apple product (computers) have speech built in already but I have yet to switch. May be a good time if I can't get my home computer to where I can access AR when I wish.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Glad to see that you're ok and back at it.

Joe -

Good to see you back, but sorry to hear about your health difficulties. Since we all communicate by text on this board anyway, you're as good as new, as far as I'm concerned.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Well good to have you back JoeE, I also hope the best for you with what you are dealing with.

I use a text to speech program called Jaws, just curious what you have? I hear Apple product (computers) have speech built in already but I have yet to switch. May be a good time if I can't get my home computer to where I can access AR when I wish.
    I'm currently using Natural Reader 9. Any text I type in any application can be verbalized by highlighting it and pressing Ctrl+F9.

Stereo value > car value texlle's Avatar
    Hi Joe. Gotta say, I am truly humbled by your courage and upbeat attitude. I can't imagine what you're going through. As an owner of sr-80s for the past 4 years, I can say they're a good purchase. Very airy with a good sense of detail. I use them with an iphone 4 when i travel and am quite pleased with the sq. Apple products are designed to be geared towards music fanatics and have some of the best bang for dollar internal amps you will find in terms of portable devices, imo. I wish you the best in your recovery.
    Dynaudio Audience 42
    Conrad-Johnson PV14
    Sonographe SA-250
    Music Hall CD 25.2
    Musical Fidelity V3 series- X-LPS phono preamp, X-DAC, X-PSU
    Rega RP1 w/ performance pack
    Pure i-20 iPod dock
    -----------------------------
    B&W DM603s2- B&W LCR60s3- B&W DM302
    Velodyne CT-120 12" sub
    Rotel RSX-1055
    Arcam CD73T