Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

If ya haven't gonefishin...

...didja ever get the Frisell cd?

If you posted re: same, my apologies...been a looong weekend!

I'm curious as to your opinion and I'd love to compare notes to see how we line up subjectively...

jimHJJ(...thanx...)

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...didja ever get the Frisell cd?

If you posted re: same, my apologies...been a looong weekend!

I'm curious as to your opinion and I'd love to compare notes to see how we line up subjectively...

jimHJJ(...thanx...)

Hi ya RL

Yeah, I did mention when I received the CD in a post. But I didn't go much further than to say thanks for the recommendation. Again, thanks!

You know...the album is just a real joy to listen to. Albeit I prefer the acoustic guitar to electric...but the electric guitar still seems to get the music across quite well. I actually enjoyed this CD alot, even tho I was a bit thrown off by it at first. Maybe that isn't the best way to say what I'm trying to say.

When I was first listening to this album there was just a curious look on my face. I couldn't say why, but my eyebrows were a bit scrunched. The music isn't strange by any means...so that wasn't the source of my confusion. Not knowing what was so "different" caused greater confusion as to what was so puzzling (or familiar). Once I set this aside. There was something very familiar about these guys. I still don't know what or why. But something just seems familiar. Perhaps it's just that something just seems so right about them...I'm not sure.

Bill Frisell on guitar, Jim Keltner on the drums and Viktor Krauss on bass just got things done. It's funny, when I received the disk in the mail...I figured I'd listen to some songs and pay attention to any drum solos Jim Keltner has on this CD and see how it sounds.

But once listening...I did just that.

thanks (what a joy!)
    dan

enjoy the music!

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Glad it worked out...

...I'd hate to have misled you.

I know what you mean, I said it was a bit "quircky"...When I first heard the first cut and it sounded as though he was plucking the strings between the bridge and tailpiece making those tinkly sounds, I said to myself "uh-oh"...then the bass line asserted itself and things got interesting...I think the second is my fave...all in all it's quite enjoyable and sounds like music, imagine that! The sound quality is really first-rate IMO...talk about presence.

I borrowed "Nashville" one of his earlier works, but really haven't given it time to "burn-in"...this one has a couple of vocals..the lady has a voice sorta' like Buffy Saint Marie meets Emmy Lou Harris(?)...not too sure about those...and the guy(my apologies) from Union Station plays Dobro on a few...HE is good, hot d@mn!

Also, "The New Miles Davis Quintet"...I may prefer "Birth Of The Cool"...but I plan on doing a little serious "audiophile-grade" listening over the holiday weekend, so time will tell.

jimHJJ(...in case I don't get the chance, have a happy and safe Fourth...)

Every once in a while I like to give "unknown" (to me) music a try. Kind of keeps me on my toes. While this has sometimes led to a waste of money...other times it has payed off quite well (like in this case). I will admit that I've gotten a little picky who and when I take the recommendations. I've also learned that the best recommendations are usually made when people are not giving them. Just seems like music is more of a key this way.

With that said...The sonics of this album were really great. Hmmm...let me rephrase (I don't want to have someone listen to it and "expect" too much...or listen for something that's not there. The album seems to be carefully recorded to preserve the feeling of an actual performance. LOL. Ok, I do apologies...I'm just cracking myself up a bit .

The recording was quite good. It sounded like music. Clean, clear...good presence without having any one aspect bring attention to itself. It didn't seem to "run out" of dynamic headroom. (you'll love this one) It also allowed my system to project a nice soundstage with good width and depth with nothing sticking out as if it's too large...or out of place. The imaging was also pinpoint accurate. The album really didn't draw attention to itself while still sounding superb. If you ask me...this IS an example of a very good recording.

Another album I enjoy has a little different style of recording. Even tho I enjoy the music...and love the "style" it's recorded in. I can see how some people would find that the style just doesn't suit them. It just gives me a much different feeling than the Bill Frisell CD did. Different, but still good. A LA CARTE BRASS & PERCUSSION - Boogeyin'! Swamprock, Salsa & `Trane is the album. The recording isn't a "perfect" recording...but it does capture the music well. Well, to me at least

dan (same to ya have a good fourth)

enjoy the music!

Thread Information