I Want Better Sound...

Printable View

• 12-10-2005, 05:43 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    Get off the more power the better crap. They must love to see you walk into a B&M to buy something,Ricky.

But isn't louder better?

TURN IT UP
    TURN IT UP!
    TURN IT UP MORE!
  • 12-10-2005, 10:54 AM
    shokhead
    Oh yes. 200watts into some orbs. I wonder how far the would fly? LOL
  • 12-10-2005, 09:11 PM
    RICKY009
    there are huge differences between amplifiers. and i'm not talking about receivers, but separate amps. tube vs. solid state for example. mark levinson vs. rotel. BAT v. Bryston. ...........................
  • 12-10-2005, 09:22 PM
    RICKY009
    first, i do not know what the "B&M" IS THAT you are referring to. obviously you haven't heard high-end audio equipment. And, i will stick by my more power the better. but, i do not refer to receivers, as the tuners create quite a bit distortion. i have heard, systems costing in excess of $100,000. i listened to HALCRO AND BAT if you know what that means. i don't want to brag, but i put together a world-class 2-channel analog system after much experimentation and auditioning.
  • 12-10-2005, 09:32 PM
    RICKY009
    ok, i did look up this B&M site and i can see now what i am dealing with.
  • 12-10-2005, 09:34 PM
    RICKY009
    Wal-mart Version? Lol
  • 12-11-2005, 04:28 AM
    shokhead
    So you got this world class amp,oh lets say 250watts per channal into some nice bookshelfs that max at 100watts. This is a good match and a wise investment? Wouldnt you rather have the same amp at 125watts and a better bookshelf at 120watt max? Maybe i'm confused but when i started screwing around with this stuff at 15,i thought more,more power but then started learning about matching stuff closer and watts wasnt as important and a lot of other factors.
  • 12-11-2005, 04:59 AM
    markw
    Watts are kinda like money.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shokhead
    So you got this world class amp,oh lets say 250watts per channal into some nice bookshelfs that max at 100watts. This is a good match and a wise investment? Wouldnt you rather have the same amp at 125watts and a better bookshelf at 120watt max? Maybe i'm confused but when i started screwing around with this stuff at 15,i thought more,more power but then started learning about matching stuff closer and watts wasnt as important and a lot of other factors.

As long as you have enough for your needs, it isn't important. IAlso, tt helps if they are both clean. You've got the law to be concerned about with one one and your speakers for the other.
  • 12-12-2005, 05:08 AM
    RICKY009
    600 wpc @8 ohms, driving a pair of B&W N801's. no bookshelf speakers. need the power to drive the big speakers. you know, i found this site, by accident and tried to help some person who had a question. i wasn't sarcastic. but then, i found a bunch of ......... criticizing the font size, using caps instead of lower case letters.... i wasn't thinking about such ridiculous things such as that. some guy (+ i am being polite) calls me out about "not yelling!" i wasn't yelling. i did not give a thought to what cap size i was using. i read a question and answered it. you people (few) are ............................................good. polite.

then, some ..................person, tells me about not using alot of power. look, i fricked around with alot of gear over the past years and found that to listen to louder music, primarily rock (classic) i required a high powered amp to drive big floor standing speakers. i had a big room so i chose floor standers. small rooms, you can get by with bookshelf, but i could not. i found, when listening to separate solid state amplifiers, such as mcintosh,mark levinson, krell, bryston, musical fidelity, that higher powered amps seemed to bring out more sound out of the speakers. deep, firm, solid bass. crystal clear mids and highs. lower powered amps just couldn't do it. they would run out of steam. i got mad yesterday when i read some of the responses to my advice, but i realize that some of you may not have been exposed to some of the stuff that's out there. i haven't heard most of it, but i have seen and hears some pretty big-time equipment. bat amps, halcros, with astronomical prices. i have a good high-end system. maybe not world-class, but pretty frickin close. no tubes, no turntables, no esoteric racks and stands. but i found that a good, and i mean good amp, with reasonably high power, will take hold of your woofers and drive them like you never imagined. I NEVER IMAGINED UNTIL I, FOR THE FIRST TIME, BROUGHT HOME A BRYSTON 4B ST AMP, 250 WPC @ 8 OHMS, 400 @ 4 OHMS, AND HOOKED IT UP TO THE SYSTEM THAT I HAD AT THE TIME. I WAS AMAZED.

good bye and good luck.

PS CHECK OUT "MUSIC DIRECT" ON THE WEB. THEY HAVE SOME OF THE STUFF THAT I AM REFERRING TO. BAT TUBE AND SS AMPS; EDGE AMPS, LEGACY SPEAKERS. GREAT WIRES FROM NORDOST AND SUPERB POWER CONDITIONERS FROM SHUNYATA (I OWN HYDRA 2 AND HYDRA 6), PS AUDIO AND NORDOST.
  • 12-12-2005, 05:17 AM
    RICKY009
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RICKY009
    600 wpc @8 ohms, driving a pair of B&W N801's. no bookshelf speakers. need the power to drive the big speakers. you know, i found this site, by accident and tried to help some person who had a question. i wasn't sarcastic. but then, i found a bunch of ......... criticizing the font size, using caps instead of lower case letters.... i wasn't thinking about such ridiculous things such as that. some guy (+ i am being polite) calls me out about "not yelling!" i wasn't yelling. i did not give a thought to what cap size i was using. i read a question and answered it. you people (few) are ............................................good. polite.

then, some ..................person, tells me about not using alot of power. look, i fricked around with alot of gear over the past years and found that to listen to louder music, primarily rock (classic) i required a high powered amp to drive big floor standing speakers. i had a big room so i chose floor standers. small rooms, you can get by with bookshelf, but i could not. i found, when listening to separate solid state amplifiers, such as mcintosh,mark levinson, krell, bryston, musical fidelity, that higher powered amps seemed to bring out more sound out of the speakers. deep, firm, solid bass. crystal clear mids and highs. lower powered amps just couldn't do it. they would run out of steam. i got mad yesterday when i read some of the responses to my advice, but i realize that some of you may not have been exposed to some of the stuff that's out there. i haven't heard most of it, but i have seen and hears some pretty big-time equipment. bat amps, halcros, with astronomical prices. i have a good high-end system. maybe not world-class, but pretty frickin close. no tubes, no turntables, no esoteric racks and stands. but i found that a good, and i mean good amp, with reasonably high power, will take hold of your woofers and drive them like you never imagined. I NEVER IMAGINED UNTIL I, FOR THE FIRST TIME, BROUGHT HOME A BRYSTON 4B ST AMP, 250 WPC @ 8 OHMS, 400 @ 4 OHMS, AND HOOKED IT UP TO THE SYSTEM THAT I HAD AT THE TIME. I WAS AMAZED.

good bye and good luck.

PS CHECK OUT "MUSIC DIRECT" ON THE WEB. THEY HAVE SOME OF THE STUFF THAT I AM REFERRING TO. BAT TUBE AND SS AMPS; EDGE AMPS, LEGACY SPEAKERS. GREAT WIRES FROM NORDOST AND SUPERB POWER CONDITIONERS FROM SHUNYATA (I OWN HYDRA 2 AND HYDRA 6), PS AUDIO AND NORDOST.

NO LAW TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT SINCE I BUILT A BIG ROOM IN THE BASEMENT TO LISTEN TO MY STUFF. AND, ITS CLEAN. IT BETTER BE, ALL THE FRICKIN AROUND I DID.

ALSO, THE NAUTILUS 801's HANDLE POWER AMPS UP TO 1kW, SO NO PROBLEM THERE. IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A PAIR OF MUSICAL FIDELITY TRI-VISTA kW (1000 WATTS) "MONOBLOCS" OR A PAIR OF SIMAUDIO MOON ROCK MONOBLOCKS (1000 WATTS @ 8 OHMS, 220 LB BEHEMOTH!). OR, I'D SETTLE FOR A PAIR OF VTL-450 (TUBE) MONO'S.

GOOD BYE
  • 12-12-2005, 05:22 AM
    RICKY009
    One More Thing.......... Person Who Said "watts Not Important." You Are Correct. It Is Current.
  • 12-12-2005, 07:02 AM
    shokhead
    Quote:

NO LAW TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT SINCE I BUILT A BIG ROOM IN THE BASEMENT TO LISTEN TO MY STUFF. AND, ITS CLEAN. IT BETTER BE, ALL THE FRICKIN AROUND I DID.

ALSO, THE NAUTILUS 801's HANDLE POWER AMPS UP TO 1kW, SO NO PROBLEM THERE. IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A PAIR OF MUSICAL FIDELITY TRI-VISTA kW (1000 WATTS) "MONOBLOCS" OR A PAIR OF SIMAUDIO MOON ROCK MONOBLOCKS (1000 WATTS @ 8 OHMS, 220 LB BEHEMOTH!). OR, I'D SETTLE FOR A PAIR OF VTL-450 (TUBE) MONO'S.

GOOD BYE

Your yelling again. :p
  • 12-12-2005, 07:06 AM
    shokhead
    Nobody is saying to run sonething like the 801's with a 100watt amp/receiver but a 1000watt amp/receiver with 100watt max speakers is to much power.
  • 12-12-2005, 07:31 AM
    noddin0ff
    Quote:

(edit) bunch of stuff, twice...(/edit)

You needed to quote yourself? I'm glad you clean your basement. Bye.
  • 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM
    RICKY009
    Quote:

Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    You needed to quote yourself? I'm glad you clean your basement. Bye.

idiot. OOPS, I FORGOT, USE CAPS. CLEAN POWER. LIKE I SAID, CHECK OUT SOME GOOD EQUIPMENT. I MERELY SAID "STUFF" B/C I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR YOU KIDS TO UNDERSTAND. OBVIOUSLY, MOST PEOPLE HERE LIKE TO CRITIQUE, OR TEAR APART SOMEONE WHO IS GIVING ADVICE. I SEE QUOTES FROM ADOLPH HITLER, RECOMENDATIONS FOR PURCHASING AUDIO EQUIPMENT FROM WAL-MART, PEOPLE WHO GET ANGRY WHEN SOMEONE USES CAPITAL LETTERS (THAT'S THE KICKER, LOSERS), AND SOME GUY OR GIRL, CONTINUING TO SELL EMPTY BOXES. OF COURSE, THAT IS WHAT YOUR SPEAKERS PROBABLY CONSIST OF.

NEXT, IT IS FUTILE TO ARGUE WITH PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE THAT B/C THEY HAVE POSTED GREATER THAN 1,000 (!) GOOD FOR SH.. COMMENTS, QUOTES, COFFIN SALES, ETC. WOW! THAT'S ALOT OF TIME ON THE COMPUTER. LIKE I STATED ABOVE, I STUMBLED ACROSS THIS BUSH-LEAGUE SITE CHECKING-OUT AMPLIFIERS. I MEAN BUSH. AKIN TO A COFFIN, OR EMPTY BOX. INITIALLY, I WANTED TO TRY TO ANSWER A QUESTION AND IT EVOLVED INTO ARGUMENTS WITH GOD KNOWS WHO. WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD A AMPLIFIER THAT COSTS AS MUCH AS MY POWER CONDITIONERS MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND. TO THE OTHERS THAT HAD TO READ THIS, IS SUPPOSE IT IS GOOD READING. I ENJOYED IT. BUT, I COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT THE CHICKEN **** QUIRKS THAT APPARENTLY A COUPLE OF YOU HAVE. I LIKE THE TWO-ON-ONE GANG, LISTED ABOVE. ONE CRAPS, AND THE OTHER FOLLOWS.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST. WRITING. I WILL NOT COMMENT ON SOME OF YOUR POSTS, SINCE IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF PUTTING TOGETHER A RESPONSE LONGER THAN 100 WORDS. BUT, YOU BIG BOYS OF THIS SITE RULE. SO, I SUCCOMB TO YOUR SUPERIORITY AND BID YOU, WELL, GOOD DAY.

QUOTE: ONLY BOXES SELL UNDERTAKERS. THAT MAKES MORE SENSE.
  • 12-12-2005, 08:44 AM
    shokhead
    I would tell you to go fuc$ yourself but i'm trying to be nicer on here. I thought my replies were nice and thoughtfull. I can see how full of yourself you are so you can go somewhere else and post if you like,you dont have to be here otherwise i'll stick by what i'm trying to say,i wouldnt spend more money on more watts i cant use even if it means my friends wont say,gee,you have a lot of watts,your cool. You have some nice stuff but i'm not impressed,sorry RICKY. You have a lot of watts and i have just what i need we differ and thats fine but dont be an a$$wipe.
  • 12-12-2005, 08:47 AM
    noddin0ff
    Quote:

I STUMBLED ACROSS THIS BUSH-LEAGUE SITE CHECKING-OUT AMPLIFIERS. I MEAN BUSH. AKIN TO A COFFIN, OR EMPTY BOX.

I think you're mixing your similes (either that or you don't know what a bush is).
    Quote:

WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD A AMPLIFIER THAT COSTS AS MUCH AS MY POWER CONDITIONERS MAYBE YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.

Understand what? Your writing? Your use of the word 'bush'?
    Quote:

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST. WRITING. I WILL NOT COMMENT ON SOME OF YOUR POSTS, SINCE IT IS OBVIOUS THAT YOU ARE INCAPABLE OF PUTTING TOGETHER A RESPONSE LONGER THAN 100 WORDS.

You just commented.
    Quote:

I SUCCOMB TO YOUR SUPERIORITY AND BID YOU, WELL, GOOD DAY.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

….dang, I need sixty-one more words.
  • 12-12-2005, 09:20 AM
    shokhead
    How dare you respond to RICKY,you dont have 1000 posts yet.
  • 12-12-2005, 09:36 AM
    GMichael
    Easy guys. Let's just try to help the original poster.

More power (or current) is great, if your speakers can take it. If not, you may be better off looking and listening to as many speakers as you can. Once you find the ones you like then you can look into what amps are good for those speakers.
  • 12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
    shokhead
    Quote:

**** you. there. i'm not nice. does shock **** and nod eat it? i think he does! you are not impressed because your jealous, admit it. go ahead. you'll never have what i have. and **** YOU.

HEY NOD, SHOCK IS READY TO ****. YOU BETTER HURRY AND WIPE HIS ASS

LMAO. Oh stop it RICKY. Stop it right now! OK,i forgive you,you are a newbie so we can start all over again. I agree with GMichael. Thats what i thought i was trying to say but maybe it didnt come across that way.
  • 12-12-2005, 10:19 AM
    noddin0ff
    Quote:

**** you. there. i'm not nice. does shock **** and nod eat it? i think he does! you are not impressed because your jealous, admit it. go ahead. you'll never have what i have. and **** YOU.

HEY NOD, SHOCK IS READY TO ****. YOU BETTER HURRY AND WIPE HIS ASS

Pottymouth! Pottymouth! RICKY009 is a Pottymouth! You must make your mother proud (set you up for a free shot).
    Remember, **** is the crutch of the illiterate.
  • 12-12-2005, 08:52 PM
    bobsticks
    RAGE MANAGEMENT for RICKYRASKOLNIKOFF
    The "you" generalization is pejorative, effectively implying that nobody on this sight is capable of completing a 1000-word composition. Believing that brevity is the soul of wit I'll attempt to finish in 999 words or less.
    Points of contention:
    1) You obviously did intend to capitalize everything on your first thread which, no doubt,
    accomplished your goal of being the center of attention.
    2) You fail to understand that if any of us Newbies wanted a recitation of your magazine readings(looking at the pictures,I'm sure) we could employ a google search and be spared your open-mouth breathing antics.
    3) You use the word "BIG" repeatedly...compensating?
    4) "I DON'T WANT TO BRAG...", "BUY A(N) AMPLIFIER AS EXPENSIVE..."...compensating again?

Ostentation is in bad form, but being a hack poseur is just plain rude. So run, Ricky,run to your basement dungeon, crank up Gene Loves Jezebel on you 600 watt phallic symbol and repeat the following line..."IT PUTS THE LOTION IN THE BASKET!"
  • 12-12-2005, 09:01 PM
    bobsticks
    Sorry about the rant
    Accastil,
    Let us, or at least me, know if you try using the receiver as a preamp with a poweramp. I've been considering trying this as a short-term solution while doing the long-term upgrade thing, and I'd love to hear your input.
    Sorry about the rant, but it seems from a newcomers standpoint, that while 99% of people on these forums wish to engage in helpful discourse, there is the self-egrandizing 1% that waste time.

Hope you find what you are looking for,
    Bobsticks
  • 12-12-2005, 09:20 PM
    RICKY009
    I Accept Apology + Apologize Myself. But What's W/your Buddy Nod? He Waits For You To Say Something, Then He Posts Some Stupid Comment Cheering You On? I Apologize To Him Too. Sincerely.

But, Now, I Have "bob" Here. What Do I Say To This ..... Person? I Am Sorry Bob. And No Bob, I Did Not Intend To Purposely Write In Caps On My First Thread. And As Far As My Reading Ability, I Will Humbly Say That I Graduated From Uw Wis Law School With A Jd. I Am A Member Of The Bar. Probably Not The Same Bar You Attend.

And For The Size Of My Schlong, I'm Too Old To Worry About That Crap Anylonger. What I Have Has Served Me Well. I'll Repeat, When I Wrote My First "thread" I Was Sincerely Trying To Give My Input To A Person Who Asked The Original Question. I Didn't Brag. Just Gave What I Have Learned Through The Years. And Bob, Now I Know Why Tigers Eat Their Young.
  • 12-12-2005, 09:24 PM
    RICKY009
    Pottymouth? Are You Gay?
  • 12-12-2005, 09:28 PM
    RICKY009
    $30,000 Phallic Symbol System. Bob Stick. Is That Some Sort Of Reference To Your Organ? A Stick? What Does "lmao" Mean?
  • 12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
    RICKY009
    Hey Bob. Remember, I Am The Center Of The Universe, Not This Site!!! And Never Forget It.
  • 12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
    RICKY009
    Bob. What Do You Do For A Living? What Does Your Audio System Consist Of?
  • 12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
    RICKY009
    Nod, I Know You Are Here. Why Not Respond? Are You Waiting For Someone Else To Write First, So You Can Chime In?
  • 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM
    RICKY009
    hey nodd, I FIRGURED IT OUT. YOU ARE EITHER GAY OR ARE A BROAD. RIGHT? RIGHT. WELL, I HATE TO DISAPPOINT YOU FEW ASSSHOLES, ESPECIALLY THE ASSSS HOLE THAT SOMEHOW FRICKED WITH MY ABILITY TO WRITE IN SMALL/CAPS - WHAT A LOSER!! IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THIS IS A BUSH LEAGUE SITE, WITH NO REAL EXPERTS GIVING GOOD ADVICE. NOBODY SEEMS TO MENTION BRANDS OF EQUIPMENT. JUST A BUNCH OF FIGS CRITICIZING OTHERS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY KNOW THAT SOMEONE MAY BE AS SMART OR SMARTER THAN THEM. OR, HAVE BETTER EQUIPMENT THAN THEY HAVE. THAT'S TOO BAD. IT IS CALLED JEALOUSY. I SEE IT CONSTANTLY. AND THE REAL CULPRIT, COMPETITION.

SOME ALPHA TYPE JAG FEELS THREATENED B/C HE/SHE (WHO KNOWS NOW ADAYS) NOW REALIZES THAT HE/SHE HAS A RIVAL. DOESN'T START OUT THAT WAY. SOME OTHER PERSON STUMBLES ACROSS NEW TERRITORY AND THE OLD ALPHA JAG TRIES TO RUN OFF THE NEWCOMER. SEEN IT BEFORE. THEN SOME OTHER JAG FOLLOWS ALONG, ONLY WHEN THE KING OF THE THREAD ROARS FIRST. OTHERWISE, THE SECOND JAG REMAINS QUIET AS A MOUSE. HIDES. MAYBE ITS THE ALPHA FEMALE?

I'LL SEE YOU FROM TIME TO TIME. BUT THIS BULL SH$IT IS DONE.
  • 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM
    RICKY009
    I Was Wrong. Caps Still Available. But Not Before.
  • 12-13-2005, 01:28 AM
    RICKY009
    first, i want to apologize to everyone. Some people made me angry as I wandered into this site. I AM SORRY.

MY SYSTEM (NOT WORLD CLASS, BUT TOO FRICKIN COSTLY)

1. BRYSTON 14B SST POWER AMP (600 WPC/8 OHM. 900 WPC/4 OHMS). STOCK 14 AWG CORD USED BETWEEN DEDICATED 20 AMP CIRCUIT AND AMP. NO CONDITIONERS.
    2. BOWERS & WILKINS (B&W) NAUTILUS 801's- PAIR
    3. BI-WIRED WITH BRYSTON 9 AWG SPEAKER WIRE
    4. BRYSTON SP-1 PROCESSOR/PREAMP. HAS ANALOG BY-PASS TO LISTEN TO PURE 2-CHANNEL ANALOG MUSIC WHICH BYPASSES ALL DIGITAL CIRCUITRY. USE 14 AWG STOCK AC CORD INSTEAD OF 18 AWG IT CAME WITH. DISCONTINUED.
    5. CONNECTED WITH ANALYSIS PLUS SOLO CRYSTAL 1M BALANCED (XLR) INTERCONNECTS (AMP -PROCESSOR FOR STEREO)
    6. ARCAM CD23T CD PLAYER. WITH HDCD. AND DCS RING DAC. DISCONTINUED.
    7. MUSICAL FIDELITY TUBE BUFFER, POWER SUPPLY, AND DAC. ALL LATEST, VERSION 3. CONNECTED BETWEEN CD AND PREAMP (EXCEPT NOW, NO M/F DAC)
    8. TRANSPARANT INTERCONNECTS FOR CD TO TUBE BUFFER TO PREAMP/PROCESSOR.
    9. SHUNYATA HYDRA 2 POWER CONDITIONER, WITH COPPERHEAD 10 AWG AC CORD FOR CD AND M/F TUB BUFFER AND ITS PSU (POWER SUPPLY UNIT). AC CORDS FOR CD AND PSU: AUDIOQUEST 12 AWG.
    10. PAIR OF INFINITY INTERMEZZO 1.2S, 12" 850 WATT SUBWOOFERS. SEALED ENCLOSURE, WITH ROUNDED REAR ENDS. AND INFINITY'S RABOS WHICH I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SET. YOU HAVE TO CHART ON GRAPHS AND MEASURE SPL'S......... FRICK IT. DID IT BY EAR. USED PRIMARILY FOR DD 5.1, BUT WHEN I GET A BUG UP MY ASS (I'LL TAKE HEAT FOR THAT, BUT WHO CARES) I'LL LISTEN TO THEM IN STEREO MODE. ADDS EXTRA BASS WALLOP, AND SET UNDER 1/2 VOLUME. DISCONTINUED + GOT DEEP DISCOUNT.
    11. INFINITY INTERMEZZO 3.5C, CENTER CHANNEL, W/BUILT-IN 250 WATT AMP FOR WOOFERS. DISCONTINUED. ANOTHER DEAL. 1/2 OFF RETAIL ($1500)!
    12. CENTER CHANNEL AMP IS AN OUTLAW M-BLOCK 2000. 200 WPC/8 OHMS + 300/4 OHMS. CHEAP. ONLY $300.
    13. BRYSTON 4B ST AMP FOR REAR SURROUNDS. 250 WPC/8 OHMS + 400/4. DISCONTINUED + REPLACED WITH SST LINE (SUPER STUART TAYLOR. MAN WHO DESIGNED THE ST AND SST BRYSTON AMPLIFIERS). REPLACED THE NRB AMPS.
    14 DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP-30 TOWER SURROUNDS. BI-POLAR SPEAKERS - IDENTICAL SPEAKERS ON FRONT AND REAR BAFFLES. I BELIEVE TWO SEVEN INCH WOOFER/MID DRIVERS WITH 1" ALUMINUM TWEETER. GOOD SPEAKERS. HIGH POWER CAPABILITY FOR HARD ROCK FANS (500 WATTS). BRYSTON 4B ST DRIVES THESE DEF/TECH's.
    15. SHUNYATA HYDRA 6 POWER CONDITIONER. HOME-MADE 10AWG AC CORD USED TO POWER THE HYDRA 6. HAD TO SEND AWAY FOR 20 AMP IEC FOR THE REAR OF THE HYDRA. HIGH CURRENT CONDITIONERS. PASSIVE.
    16. CHEAP, BUT SURPRISINGLY SUPERB SONY DVP-NC685V,CD/DVD/SACD FIVE-DISC CHANGER. $250. UNREMARKABLE CD PLAYER, WHICH I DO NOT USE (USE ARCAM), BUT EXCELLENT SACD PLAYBACK RIVALLING ANY PLAYER $1000 OR LESS.
    17. THREE (3) SEPARATE ELECRICAL CIRCUITS IN MY 16 FT X 28 FT ROOM. ONE 20 AMP CIRCUIT USED ONLY FOR AUDIO EQUIPMENT-STAR GROUNDED. AND , OUTLETS (20AMP) APPROX. 15-20' FROM ELECTRICAL SERVICE. OTHER 20 AMP CIRCUIT USED FOR SUBS (RAN OUT OF OUTLETS. ONLY MISTAKE, NOT ENOUGH OUTLETS) AND FOR DEHUMIDIFIER OUTSIDE OF ROOM. AND 15 AMP CIRCUIT FOR LAMPS, FANS, CHARGERS, FLOOR HEATER, ETC. PLENTY SOUND CONDITIONED, BUT NOT PROFESSIONALLY. IE, NO LIGHTS IN CEILING. SPECIAL SUSPENDED CEILING W/ HIGH SOUND ABSORBING PANELS 9CAN'T REMEMBER THE SPECS). DRYWALL WALLS, AND CARPETTED (W/PADDING) CONCRETE BASEMENT FLOOR. HOME-MADE SOUND-ABSORBING PANELS BEHIND FRONT SPEAKERS AND TO THE SIDES. SOLID, SIX PANEL DOOR FOR ROOM. USED 1.5 - 2" PINK PANELS PURCHASED AT LUMBER YARD.
    ALL EQUIPMENT IS ON FLOOR. SET ON SPARE LUMBER FROM MY HOUSE. NO EXPENSIVE ESOTERIC STANDS. ALL WIRES ---------MOST WIRES OFF THE FLOOR. IF ON FLOOR, MAKE SURE THEY ARE PERPENDICULAR TO OTHER WIRE. ART DUDLEY'S (STEREOPHILE MAGAZINE) SUGGESTION, NOT MINE.

COST: I WENT NUTS AND SPENT WAY WAY TOO MUCH, AFTER MY DAD DIED. HE HAD SAVED ALOT OF HIS OLD RECORDS. SOME VINYL, SUCH AS DAVE BRUBECK QUARTET, TIME OUT, TAKE FIVE, CLASSIC VINYL JAZZ RECORDING. MOST OF HIS RECORDS, HOWEVER, ARE OLD 78 RPM FROM BENNY GOODMAN, LOUIS ARMSTRON, STAN KENTON, TOMMY DORSEY, CHARLIE BARNET, PEE WEE HUNT, TONY PASTOR, AL JOLSON, HENRY BUSSE, FREDDIE SLACK, HARRY JAMES,COUNT BASIE, BUDDY RICH, LES PAUL AND HIS TRIO............AND DOZENS MORE. PAIN IN THE A$$ TO LISTEN TO, W/ALL THE POPS, STATIC ETC. TRIED TO LISTEN TO SOME, BUT TOO DIFFICULT. OF COURSE, I HAVE TO INVEST IN A GOOD RECORD CLEANING MACHINE AND A TABLE THAT PLAYS 78 RPM RECORDS - THEY'RE OUT THERE. I HAD A CHEAP THORENS, BUT RETURNED IT. I DIDN'T REALIZE, BUT MY FATHER WAS A MUSIC LOVER TOO, BUT HE NEVER BOUGHT ANY GOOD AUDIO EQUIPMENT, BUT FOR A CONSOLE STEREO IN THE EARLY 1960's. CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT BRAND IT WAS, BUT I DO REMEMBER SEEING HUGE WOOFERS, ON EACH SIDE - PROBABLY 12". IT PLAYED RECORDS AND AM/FM. I WANT TO SAY MAGNAVOX???

FINALLY, I FRICKED AROUND WITH ALOT OF DIFFERENT EQUIPMENT, BEFORE I SETTLED ON THE ABOVE. 7 DIFFERENT PAIRS OF SPEAKERS, AND AUDITIONED A COUPLE IN ADDITION - VANDERSTEEN 2CE SIGNATURES, WHICH I DIDN'T LIKE. I TRIED BOSE 701's - JUNK; PARADIGM MONITOR 7's - GOOD, BUT COULD NOT PLAY LOUD ENOUGH FOR PINK FLOYD; DEFINTIVE TECHNOLOGY BP-30's, WHICH WERE BETTER, COULD PLAY LOUDER, BUT WASN'T HAPPY; MARTINLOGAN ASCENT'S - GREAT, BUT WOOFER BLEW OUT AND SENT THEM BACK, BEFORE THEY WERE BROKE-IN (RUN-IN, AS THE BRITISH SAY); B&W CDM 9 NT'S (?) NICE, BUT COULD NOT HANDLE HIGHER SPL's; B&W NAUTILUS 802'S - GREAT, BUT HAD WOOFER PROBLEMS WITH ONE OF THEM; AND FINALLY, B&W NAUTILUS 801's, WHERE PIANO MOVERS HAD TO DELIVER THEM TO MY LISTENING ROOM. TOO FRICKIN HEAVY!!! I STILL HAVE THEM, BUT WOULD LIKE TO TRY B&W 800D'S, DALI MEGALINE, WILSON MAXX 2, MBL 101E'S, NOLA GRAND REFERENCE III's ($126,000/PAIR!). RIGHT NOW, THE MBL 101E LOUDSPEAKER IS (46,900/PAIR) DRIVEN BY MBL ELECTRONICS, ARE AMONG THE BEST IN THE WORLD. OR, HOW ABOUT A PAIR OF FOCAL-JMLAB GRANDE UTOPIA'S Be ($85,000/PAIR), OR A PAIR OF CALIX PHOENIX GRAND SIGNATURES @ $ 67,500! OR EVEN A PAIR OF MCINTOSHS' MARQUIS LOUDSPEAKER, THE XRT2K's!!! W/2000 WATT POWER HANDLING CAPABILITY. BUT YOU'RE GOING TO NEED A CATHEDRAL TO HAVE THEM SOUND THEIR BEST!
  • 12-13-2005, 07:20 AM
    shokhead
    At least you have the right speakers in B&W. LOL
  • 12-13-2005, 07:30 AM
    FLZapped
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GMichael
    Easy guys. Let's just try to help the original poster.

More power (or current) is great, if your speakers can take it. If not, you may be better off looking and listening to as many speakers as you can. Once you find the ones you like then you can look into what amps are good for those speakers.

Actually, more power may not be a good thing. Power Amplifiers are rated for a S/N ratio based on Max rated output. Therefore, two amps, each having a 105dB S/N rating, yet one is 400 watts and one is 100 watts. The 400 watt amp will have a higher absloute noise floor by 6dB - which might make the noise audible in your speakers with no other signal present.

If you've read enough reviews, you will also find that distortion follows a bathtub curve depending on power output. With a too powerful amp, you're running the risk of increased distortion on quiet passages.

-Bruce
  • 12-13-2005, 07:41 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Actually, more power may not be a good thing. Power Amplifiers are rated for a S/N ratio based on Max rated output. Therefore, two amps, each having a 105dB S/N rating, yet one is 400 watts and one is 100 watts. The 400 watt amp will have a higher absloute noise floor by 6dB - which might make the noise audible in your speakers with no other signal present.

If you've read enough reviews, you will also find that distortion follows a bathtub curve depending on power output. With a too powerful amp, you're running the risk of increased distortion on quiet passages.

-Bruce

A bathtub curve? OK, now you've peaked my interest. What's a bathtub curve? Does the tub have water in it?

I do see what you mean that more watts don't equal better sound. Too many other factors to factor in as they say. But if you stay within one class or manufacturer the other numbers tend to improve as the power goes up. Not that they have to. Just in a lot of cases they do.

I still think set-up, placement and speakers make the biggest difference.
  • 12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
    shokhead
    What good is more watts if your speakers are rated at, lets say 125max? Is there a reason to spend your money on a 250watt per amp/receiver? If you upgrading to better speakers latter sure but not if your staying with the speakers ya got right?
  • 12-14-2005, 09:02 AM
    FLZapped
    Quote:

A bathtub curve? OK, now you've peaked my interest. What's a bathtub curve? Does the tub have water in it?

I do see what you mean that more watts don't equal better sound. Too many other factors to factor in as they say. But if you stay within one class or manufacturer the other numbers tend to improve as the power goes up. Not that they have to. Just in a lot of cases they do.

I still think set-up, placement and speakers make the biggest difference.

Just as described, distortion goes up and really low power levels, is low in the middle, and goes up as it approaches clipping. Resembles a bathtub....

-Bruce
  • 12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FLZapped
    Just as described, distortion goes up and really low power levels, is low in the middle, and goes up as it approaches clipping. Resembles a bathtub....

-Bruce

Oh, very simple. I'm supprised that someone as simple as me didn't get that.

Thanks, but you still didn't say if the tub needs water.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • 12-14-2005, 10:03 AM
    Resident Loser
    1 Attachment(s)
    It's like this...
    Quote:

A bathtub curve? OK, now you've peaked my interest. What's a bathtub curve?

...If you plotted the numbers on a graph the end result would look like the profile of a bathtub...starting out as a high number(relatively speaking), dropping precipitously to a much lower level, staying there as a straight horizontal line for a bit and finally, rising in a similar fashion to the way it fell...sorta' like this:

---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---
    ---I---\---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I/--I---I---
    ---I---I\--I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---/---I---I---
    ---I---I-\-I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I--/I---I---I---
    ---I---I--\I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I-/-I---I---I---
    ---I---I---\---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I/--I---I---I---
    ---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---

jimHJJ(...please pardon the extemporaneous "artwork"...)

Finally figured out how to do it, this might be mo' betta'...

P.S. to quote a certain Mr. Bond "...shocking..."

...Go figure, it took me an hour to dash-dash-dash an example, then to find graph paper I could copy, then figure how to connect the jpgs...talk about a day late and a dollar short...gotta' get a hobby...
  • 12-14-2005, 10:11 AM
    GMichael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...If you plotted the numbers on a graph the end result would look like the profile of a bathtub...starting out as a high number(relatively speaking), dropping precipitously to a much lower level, staying there as a straight horizontal line for a bit and finally, rising in a similar fashion to the way it fell...sorta' like this:

---I---\---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I/--I---I---
    ---I---I\--I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---/---I---I---
    ---I---I-\-I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I--/I---I---I---
    ---I---I--\I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I-/-I---I---I---
    ---I---I---\---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I---I/--I---I---I---

jimHJJ(...please pardon the extemporaneous "artwork"...)

Finally figured out how to do it, this might be mo' betta'...

P.S. to quote a certain Mr. Bond "...shocking...")

But where's the water?