Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    IBut you will not be able to tell a 300$ Onkyo changer (rather expensive in my book) from a 3000$ dollar linn with a blindfold on...
    I find that actually making such comparisons far more fulfilling and enlightening than merely speculating about them. It's like the difference between enjoying an attractive woman in bed vs. merely thinking about it. Sometimes you really ought to give experience a try. You might find that like Basite and I, you might like it.

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 05-05-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    My vinyl collection is truly invaluable.
    I believe so.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsticks
    My vinyl collection is truly invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    I believe so.

well, time to change that eh bobs

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Mutant from table 9
    This thread is like an Egyptian airliner... its been hi-jacked. I think that you should have to name at least one LP you listened to in the last 24 hours in order to post in this thread. I'll start: In the last 3 hours - Fly by Night, Defenders of the Faith, High and Dry.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I listened to the cd version of "Mule Variations" while staring at the LP's cover and drinking paint thinner...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    I listened to the cd version of "Mule Variations" while staring at the LP's cover and drinking paint thinner...
    You SOB.
    Is this your way of saying that you need another package?

JRA

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    hehehe
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

I have lots'n lots of old LPs. I bought many of them from the Goodwill store for 50cents each. I avoid the ones in bad shape. I have many gems picked up for next to nothing. Mose Allison performing live at the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach is a perfect example. This 40-odd year old record was never opened until I got it. I can't properly convey the sense of realism when I play this record. It transports me to the venue. I feel the ambience, the air of the space, the energy. I am in the crowd. Mose Allison is in front of me. More than this, I really feel the music. Of the several hundreds of Cds/SACDs I own, many are effective at 'getting my groove on', but not one can do it in the same was as many of my records do. As has been proven in Sean of the Dead, records can make lethal weapons if by some weird stroke of fate most people start turning into zombies.
    Last edited by O'Shag; 05-06-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I find that actually making such comparisons far more fulfilling and enlightening than merely speculating about them. It's like the difference between enjoying an attractive woman in bed vs. merely thinking about it. Sometimes you really ought to give experience a try. You might find that like Basite and I, you might like it.

rw
    I HAVE TRIED, and like the experience with a beautiful woman the experience is transitory.
    You either get tired of her or she gets old.
    But its fitting you talk about "beautiful" women, most get their beauty courtesy of
    the cosmetics company, there are few truely beautiful women out there.
    SAME WITH AUDIO EQUIPMENT, the "beauty" is quite often the marketing dept
    putting lipstick on a pig.
    Its the same old law of deminishing returns, the last ten grand you spend on something will give you the least improvement than the first grand.
    If you want to spend a grand on a CD player that is different from a 200 dollar CD player
    in ways only a German shepard can tell, be my guest if it makes you happy.
    But be warned "beautiful women" have litle patience with wasting such sums when you could be spending it on them
    And if you had ever been with a truely beautiful woman you'd know that
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Aging Smartass
    If you want to spend a grand on a CD player that is different from a 200 dollar CD player
    in ways only a German shepard can tell, be my guest if it makes you happy.
    :
    I, and quite a few others here at AR, have spent that "grand," and are far better off for having done so. In my case, the Marantz SA-8001 SACD player ($899.99) has provided me with countless hours of sonic delights, allowing me to hear many instruments and details for the first time, and making my CD library something to continue to listen to to hear how much better they all sound now. Sometimes the differences are subtle, but most of the times, it all but knocks me over. And, I'm not a German shepard either.

'Tis a pity you keep posting such nonsensical drivel. You really have no idea how much better a good CD player can sound, and as long as you keep saying that there's no difference between one and a $200 cheapie, you're only further illustrating your total ignorance. Do you get some sort of perverted pleasure out of making yourself look ridiculous?

I HAVE TRIED, and like the experience with a beautiful woman the experience is transitory.
    But its fitting you talk about "beautiful" women, most get their beauty courtesy of
    Ok. I guess it sucks to be you. Sorry to hear that. The marketing department certainly didn't put any lipstick on my gear. The big black speakers with the metal frames? The black tube amps / preamp with no 3-D backlit multi-color indicators? Do you have any points that are based upon fact?

If you want to spend a grand on a CD player that is different from a 200 dollar CD player in ways only a German shepard can tell, be my guest if it makes you happy.
    The really sad part is your continued speculation bears little resemblance to the truth. At age 51, I do not hear much above about 14k. On the other hand, there are countless cues found in recordings that begin to suggest the live, unamplified event found at frequencies significantly lower than a dog whistle. Such takes more than a *cheapie* player to exploit.

But be warned "beautiful women" have litle patience with wasting such sums when you could be spending it on them
    And if you had ever been with a truely beautiful woman you'd know that
    Boy, ever the pessimist. Her hobbies (like collecting shiny rocks) get equal weighting with mine. Why is it that your posts in every thread always end up with you complaining about something?

Back to the thread topic, yes I truly value my vinyl collection as well. It contains decades of many happy memories having begun the collection when I was a kid. Quite a few discs are irreplaceable. Recent spins? Grand Canyon Suite, Deeper Reasons by Liz Story, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis.

rw

[QUOTE=E-Stat]. Recent spins? [i] The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis.

rw[/QUOTE

Their finest hour. And the inspiration I needed for that all important first disc to go on the platter tonight. Damn fine choice.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Their finest hour. And the inspiration I needed for that all important first disc to go on the platter tonight. Damn fine choice.
    Lots of good stuff indeed. For some reason, The Lamia is playing in my head. I can hear Gabriel carefully punctuate each phrase.

The scent grows richer.
    He knows he must be near.
    He finds the long passageway lit by chandelier.
    Each step he takes the perfumes change from familiar fragrance to flavors strange.
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye...

(cue haunting synth melody)

Or something like that!

rw
    Last edited by E-Stat; 05-06-2008 at 07:36 AM.

Its the same old law of deminishing returns, the last ten grand you spend on something will give you the least improvement than the first grand.

yeah, I quite agree with E-stat, I guess it sucks to be you

and actually, the cheap products often get more of the 'lipstick' treatement than more expensive products...

yeah, my Mcintosh is an exeption here, but of course, the black front/blue meters are there trademark...
    I'd still buy a Mcintosh if it didn't have the blue lights you know...

and you definately hear an improvement with the next 10k you spend, and it's a pretty big improvement...

anyways, let's get back to the original question

although my vinyl collection is still small, and not worth that much (no special pressings, 180g ed, ...), I still value it alot, I don't think I could live without it, in fact...
    it's not worth much money, but there's a good deal of personal value in them (or emotional value or however you should say it...)

keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by emaidel
    I, and quite a few others here at AR, have spent that "grand," and are far better off for having done so. In my case, the Marantz SA-8001 SACD player ($899.99) has provided me with countless hours of sonic delights, allowing me to hear many instruments and details for the first time, and making my CD library something to continue to listen to to hear how much better they all sound now. Sometimes the differences are subtle, but most of the times, it all but knocks me over. And, I'm not a German shepard either.

'Tis a pity you keep posting such nonsensical drivel. You really have no idea how much better a good CD player can sound, and as long as you keep saying that there's no difference between one and a $200 cheapie, you're only further illustrating your total ignorance. Do you get some sort of perverted pleasure out of making yourself look ridiculous?

You're the one who called me a nazi, which is why I IGNORE YOU, since I DESPISE
    anti-semitism or any kind of bigotry and dont apprieciate being lumped in with some of the worst mass murderers in history.
    But I CANT RESIST HERE, see I am considering a player that is the same as yours,
    that is the Marantz with the custom drive that I WAS TALKING ABOUT.
    Is it better than a 200 dollar one? MAYBE, probably, but you can get a Cambridge for 300
    bucks you know.
    the point being that a 2,000 linn is better than your 900 dollar unit (which is considered cheap by some) in very small ways, and you couldnt double the performance if you spent a million dollars on a CD player.
    In other words, LIKE I SAID , after the first grand it takes thousands to get a substantial improvement, whats so controversial about that ?
    Its common HT or audiophile knowledge.
    And the only place people have argured about it is on THIS site for some reason
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

the point being that a 2,000 linn is better than your 900 dollar unit (which is considered cheap by some) in very small ways, and you couldnt double the performance if you spent a million dollars on a CD player.
    In other words, LIKE I SAID , after the first grand it takes thousands to get a substantial improvement, whats so controversial about that ?

that it's not true IMHO...

I find big differences between players costing 1 grand and 2 grand...

and 900 is not cheap, but it isn't overly expensive neither.
    those are considered normal prices in this hobby...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Aging Smartass
    You're the one who called me a nazi
    I can't believe you still believe this. We had a neo-nazi banned from this site, and aside from his obvious anti-semitic remarks (that were becoming increasingly inflammatory), many of his posts were flat out inane, just as many of yours are. I suggested that you might be next to go, not because you're a nazi, but because of the nature of what you have to say most of the time. If you believe that such a comparison is because I think you're a nazi, then you've really got your head screwed on at the wrong end.

And STOP using CAPS all the time where they don't belong! It's the internet equivalent of shouting, looks ridiculous, and makes reading your posts annoying.

I can't believe you still believe this. We had a neo-nazi banned from this site, and aside from his obvious anti-semitic remarks (that were becoming increasingly inflammatory), many of his posts were flat out inane, just as many of yours are. I suggested that you might be next to go, not because you're a nazi, but because of the nature of what you have to say most of the time. If you believe that such a comparison is because I think you're a nazi, then you've really got your head screwed on at the wrong end.
    Nothing more than another one of Pix's typical diversionary tactics whenever he's at the losing end of an argument (which is just about every thread that he participates in). On the HD Radio thread, I pointed out how to correctly calculate an inflation rate that he was too mathematically challenged to figure out for himself. Rather than thanking me or at least correcting himself, he proceeded to call me an accomplice to the greatest theft in history, and accused me of engaging in a coverup and conspiring to destroy this country! Detect a pattern at work here?

His false accusation that you called him a nazi is just more of the same. And if he can't conflate someone pointing out his idiocy into some conspiracy, he'll just pull out the lame personal attacks. This board has always had its resident court jester/whipping boy. Before it was Lexmark and his various incarnations, then you had Perv (who very well might have been the same person) and his multiple personalities, now you got pix. So long as you know his role, and treat him as such, you'll be fine!
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

I

The topic, and the "LP vs. CD" argument are linked in that the decision to keep records is likely tied into whether or not one prefers the sound of a record to that of a duplicate CD. I'm one of those who prefers the CD, especially now that I have a really superb CD player (the Marantz SA-8001) that has virtually eliminated all the negatives that people once attributed to CD's (harshness, steely-sounding strings, etc.)

Another member, JohnMichael, said that my turntable would probably get dusty now that I've purchased this SACD player, and he's right - I haven't played a record since I got it. So, the temptation to sell off some of my record collection is even greater now.
    Then again, here is a person who has not upgraded/updated his analog gear since the 70's. If you believe in modern technological improvement in digital palyback, then perhaps it's time you updated your LP gear, and share your experienced opinion.
    SA-8001 is a decent player, but you should experience analog with LOMC with a modern deck. Of course I'm not going to criticize anyone for their taste/preference, but anyone who criticize vinyl playback with 70's and 80's gears is obsurd.

JRA

Cool

[Woochifer]Nothing more than another one of Pix's typical diversionary tactics whenever he's at the losing end of an argument (which is just about every thread that he participates in). On the HD Radio thread, I pointed out how to correctly calculate an inflation rate that he was too mathematically challenged to figure out for himself. Rather than thanking me or at least correcting himself, he proceeded to call me an accomplice to the greatest theft in history, and accused me of engaging in a coverup and conspiring to destroy this country! Detect a pattern at work here?
    The pattern has existed throughout history, funny money is issued without any backing ,
    is quickly printed on a 24hr basis until its worthless, bankrupting the country.
    USUALLY COVERED UP BY govt wonks like yourself.
    Pardon me if I dont "thank you" for helping to cover up one of the greatest thefts in history,
    either through collusion or outright incompetence.
    And you "way of figuring out an inflation rate" is an outright LIE.
    And inflation rate is simple, its how much money is printed in a year that is not backed up by ANYTHING, has nothing to do with prices, and over twenty years our currency has lost at least 80% of its value, and thats an understatement

His false accusation that you called him a nazi is just more of the same. And if he can't conflate someone pointing out his idiocy into some conspiracy, he'll just pull out the lame personal attacks. This board has always had its resident court jester/whipping boy. Before it was Lexmark and his various incarnations, then you had Perv (who very well might have been the same person) and his multiple personalities, now you got pix. So long as you know his role, and treat him as such, you'll be fine!
    This isnt "false", ITS A FACT.
    IMPLIED in such a way that only a coward would do so, saying that I WAS "JUST LIKE"
    an anti semite nazi that was banned from this site.
    LET ME ASK YOU , are you stupid enough to actually think that when the dollar is gone that your buddies in the govt will help you?
    Are YOU that stupid?
    MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS ALL YOU WANT, I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH, SADLY.
    You just wont be man enough to admit it, but if you were a man you wouldnt have a job of covering up for the people working to undermine your country
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Aging Smartass
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Then again, here is a person who has not upgraded/updated his analog gear since the 70's. If you believe in modern technological improvement in digital palyback, then perhaps it's time you updated your LP gear, and share your experienced opinion.
    SA-8001 is a decent player, but you should experience analog with LOMC with a modern deck. Of course I'm not going to criticize anyone for their taste/preference, but anyone who criticize vinyl playback with 70's and 80's gears is obsurd.

JRA
    My turntable is a Dual CS-5000. Though I only obtained it this past summer, it was last manufactured in the late 80's. It's still considered by many to be a top notch performer. Is a $300 Rega better? Frankly, I don't know, but I do know the 5000 is awfully good. I recently upgraded its performance with an Achromat mat.

Insofar as the cartridge I'm using, I don't use the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 because I was the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Stanton. I chose it because I like the way it sounds, and that's as compared to two Ortofon moving coil models, and the Denon DL-103. When I purchased the 5000, it came with a perfectly functioning Shure V/15 Type Vmxr, which many consider a truly fine cartridge. There was no comparison (at least in my mind) that the CS-100 considerably outperformed the V/15 V, which says a lot for it.

I think my turntable/cartridge combination is quite good, but I'll admit that newer, and far costlier, models may sound a good deal better.

Read that which you've quoted a bit more carefully, and you won't find that it's a criticism of the sound of vinyl as you suggest it is. I prefer CD's, and now SACD's to vinyl, as do many others. You may feel differently, and that's your prerogative. If I disagree, that's my prerogative too, and it's not "obsurd" in any way.

The pattern has existed throughout history, funny money is issued without any backing ,
    is quickly printed on a 24hr basis until its worthless, bankrupting the country.
    USUALLY COVERED UP BY govt wonks like yourself.
    Pardon me if I dont "thank you" for helping to cover up one of the greatest thefts in history,
    either through collusion or outright incompetence.
    And you "way of figuring out an inflation rate" is an outright LIE.
    And inflation rate is simple, its how much money is printed in a year that is not backed up by ANYTHING, has nothing to do with prices, and over twenty years our currency has lost at least 80% of its value, and thats an understatement
    To the court, I present EXHIBIT A -- pix's response when someone points out his deficiencies in basic math! Change the subject, repeat lies and idiocy, accuse the truthteller of lying, go into paranoid rants, etc.

And to rebuttal - if the currency has lost at least 80% of its value in 20 years, that would imply that consumer prices on average are now 5X more than they were in 1988. Aside from gas, you still haven't come up with a single example of a consumer spending category where price escalations of this magnitude have occurred. Nor have you explained how a dollar, by your calculation, can attain a negative value after 26 years or lose 1,092% of its value (a mathematical impossibility) since 1785 when the first U.S. dollars were printed. Defense is ruled incompetent, the prosecution rests ...

You really are a monument to accidental comedy!

This isnt "false", ITS A FACT.
    IMPLIED in such a way that only a coward would do so, saying that I WAS "JUST LIKE"
    an anti semite nazi that was banned from this site.
    LET ME ASK YOU , are you stupid enough to actually think that when the dollar is gone that your buddies in the govt will help you?
    Are YOU that stupid?
    Hmmm, let's see, whose word do I trust more? A knowledgeable and respected poster like emaidel, or an unrepentant serial liar who can't even figure out junior high school math like pix? Tough choice!

MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS ALL YOU WANT, I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH, SADLY.
    You just wont be man enough to admit it, but if you were a man you wouldnt have a job of covering up for the people working to undermine your country
    Last edited by Woochifer; 05-08-2008 at 07:12 AM.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

My turntable is a Dual CS-5000. Though I only obtained it this past summer, it was last manufactured in the late 80's. It's still considered by many to be a top notch performer. Is a $300 Rega better? Frankly, I don't know, but I do know the 5000 is awfully good. I recently upgraded its performance with an Achromat mat.

Insofar as the cartridge I'm using, I don't use the Stanton Collector's Series CS-100 because I was the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Stanton. I chose it because I like the way it sounds, and that's as compared to two Ortofon moving coil models, and the Denon DL-103. When I purchased the 5000, it came with a perfectly functioning Shure V/15 Type Vmxr, which many consider a truly fine cartridge. There was no comparison (at least in my mind) that the CS-100 considerably outperformed the V/15 V, which says a lot for it.

I think my turntable/cartridge combination is quite good, but I'll admit that newer, and far costlier, models may sound a good deal better.

Read that which you've quoted a bit more carefully, and you won't find that it's a criticism of the sound of vinyl as you suggest it is. I prefer CD's, and now SACD's to vinyl, as do many others. You may feel differently, and that's your prerogative. If I disagree, that's my prerogative too, and it's not "obsurd" in any way.
    Ah, same turntable that I've been using for the past 18 years! Definitely a nice deck. I use an Ortofon OM30, and that performs quite well. Only drawback is that the OPS tonearm is a low mass design that works best with a high compliance cartridge. This pretty much excludes moving coil carts, and that's why the CS5000 is considered a good match for the Ortofon OM series.

FWIW, I grew up with the Stanton 681 series.
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Hey Wooch, Pix called you a "Government Wonk".

I might have to give him a greenie for that. Only because he used the word "Wonk".

And it made me giggle. Just a little bit.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Hey Wooch, Pix called you a "Government Wonk".

I might have to give him a greenie for that. Only because he used the word "Wonk".

And it made me giggle. Just a little bit.
    More testament to pix's cluelessness, since a wonk by definition is someone who's considered an expert on and knowledgeable of public policy matters!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Policy_wonk
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information