Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I had a pair of AT-15 when i was younger and the first thing I did after getting them was go purchase an eq to tame the things. without proper equalization they are a very blatty sounding mess and by no means balanced. With me saying that they do have there place in the audio world. For someone that listens to rock music at loud levels with a good dose of power these speakers will definitely crank and give you what you want. I owned mine for a while but the harshness got to me and I moved to Paradigm monitor series which was an improvement to say the least. Not as loud but sonically superior. I will say that I would not ever own a pair of vega's again but if I had a kid straight out of high school going to college and wanted to set up a system at least you can know that most likely if set up right he's not going to call you and say he blew his speakers. Now I have heard that their new line of speakers especially the 215's are worlds above their previous models but I have not heard them for myself to know.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    "A little elbow grease and Vega knocks high-end."

i am sorry to tell you but youre only kidding yourself if you think most CVs approach high end. perhaps its all one needs with a sony receiver but that isnt near high end either. once you get some decent speakers like a pair of used vandersteens and some real and clean power in your room, you'll get the picture. surely in the denver area there are some stereo shop that carry the better makes so you can wet your whistle.

take along some of your favorite CDs and also be open to the unfamiliar music the sales rep might suggest. it may just highlight a performance characteristic significant to YOUR music. i learned a lot in hif fi shops by keeping my mouth closed and my ears open.

i am also one who rarely buys equipment but when the improvement is large for a small amount of cash, i fork it over. now and again, there will be a more major purchase that will be worth the wait saving up for.

i am the one who cited the absolute sound review of some $1000 CVs and they were reviewed by robert e. greene, a UCLA math professor. so i am aware that CV is capable of very good sound IF they put their mind to it.
    ...regards...tr

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by (O0o*o0O)
    As a Cerwin Vega fan I will be the first to admit a few things. Like the fact that most Cerwin Vega speakers look like they belong in a roller ring. Bass is a little intimidating and they're usually sold that way to attract the younger crowd.

I have yet to find a pair of stereo speakers built to perfection by them. Its usually the tweeters, or the lack of bi-ampable terminals, or those damn crossover level controls. I hate those things; I've had to rebuild them on several speakers.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of AL1000's or DC1515's. The CLS series seems very promising, but till I actually have them I'll never know. Any speaker or piece of equipment for that matter being that I don't usually buy from stores.

I think Cerwin Vega speakers are for the DIY'ers. They build them so far and the rest is up to the consumer. If you want concert loudspeakers you leave them be and if you want more out of them its usually doable and low cost.

I'm not finished on my end and I just introduced the AT-15's to my set-up. My apartment now sounds like a roller ring. I usually have many speakers on hand to compare with or to substitute. I sell a little I buy a little and I mean little! An almost ten year process.

I'm like Al Bundy - tarnished, but determined. Cerwin Vega is an intelligent buy, but not always bought by the intelligent. Craftsmen is smart and they're in a lot of stupid hands. A little elbow grease and Vega knocks high-end. Not to say that there isn't high-end speakers out there I would prefer; there are..
    YOU SHOULDN'T NEED "elbow" grease for a new speaker. FYI , when you buy a new
    speaker it should be complete.
    AND BY "DIY do you mean dump in yard?
    You would have better luck "fixing" a Yugo. AND CONCERT USE???
    They will not last under such use, unless you are talking ablut a "sangin " at the old church place by the creek..
    THERES BETTER OUT THERE for the same price, you could walk into BEST bUY
    and pick out better blindfolded, and best Buy is not known for their speakers.
    GET HELP, or at least a shrink that is liberal with the prescription pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    pixi,

have you been to best buy lately? the old magnolia outlet is now in their stores (has been for years) and one of their brands is martin logan.

its not so much that they lack in speakers but electronics. yeah, denon and marantz make some pretty OK electronics but theyre a bit mass market. they fill their market niche well though.

those CVs reviewed by tas would be worth looking into even if they ARE cv.

youre right about the bulk of the cv line though. simoniz on excrement doesnt work.
    ...regards...tr

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    pixi,

have you been to best buy lately? the old magnolia outlet is now in their stores (has been for years) and one of their brands is martin logan.

its not so much that they lack in speakers but electronics. yeah, denon and marantz make some pretty OK electronics but theyre a bit mass market. they fill their market niche well though.

those CVs reviewed by tas would be worth looking into even if they ARE cv.

youre right about the bulk of the cv line though. simoniz on excrement doesnt work.
    You are right about the MAGNOLIA room, although my local "Buy " only has a "music room", usually with some young punk punishing an innocent drumkit.
    I WAS talking about the KLIPSCH, POLK, and other middlin speakers that , while great
    in someones rec room or den, are somewhat lacking in the "audiophile"
    category.
    WHICH brings up something interesting. I bought a complete Klipsch setup, complete
    with sub, and returned them, bought them from my audio dealer.
    NOT MY CUP OF TEA, but perfectly respectable speakers. HOWEVER, when I went to
    "Buy" the Klipsch they had on sale was dreadful, to say the least. I think they have lesser gear that they send to the big box outlets.
    Thanks for the clarification on the MAGNOLIA stores, however. THE ONES I have seen are nice. But outta sight, outta mind.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Vega trash talkers

I was thinking about swapping out some KLH 9915 speakers with a pair of Aspara HL-1's, but I'm not sure it will match my decor.
    I'm a frequent reader in here and understand the audio world pretty well to know my list seems trailer park. You must admit I have balls for listing it. Its a project with a goal and an end. Also a theme; Sony ES, Cerwin Vega, Monster Cable, and DIY's.
    I may look to match up other components and build other systems. Every friend and family member I have must have a stereo system so that keeps the range open. Its usually if I can't have it, someone I know can..

No, your gear isn't "trailer park". I can't imagine any of those boobs on Springer having anything better than an OEM stereo in their 87 F-150. I presume your rig sounds good to you (as it should).. That's all that really matters.
    I'm puzzled as to what "high end" speakers you compared to your (modified) CV's. I'm also curious about your reasons for preferring CV's over other speakers. If the ability to play loud is the primary reason no other response is necessary.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by (O0o*o0O)
    I was thinking about swapping out some KLH 9915 speakers with a pair of Aspara HL-1's, but I'm not sure it will match my decor.
    I'm a frequent reader in here and understand the audio world pretty well to know my list seems trailer park. You must admit I have balls for listing it. Its a project with a goal and an end. Also a theme; Sony ES, Cerwin Vega, Monster Cable, and DIY's.
    I may look to match up other components and build other systems. Every friend and family member I have must have a stereo system so that keeps the range open. Its usually if I can't have it, someone I know can..
    Not saying it is "trailer park", but hear for the hills during a tornado warning.
    And no, you do NOT have any "balls" due to "decor" entering into your decision process.
    Sorry.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information