Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    I'd like to hear suggestions on how we can improve the AudioReview forums. What can we as users do to attract and keep new members?

I know I've worked and am working hard on the SPAM issues, it seems to be going well.

We are in the middle or upgrading our vBulletin software - this will give more web2.0 features and tie-ins with social media.

But what do we are users have control over to attract new members? Better post? More reviews. How can we attract manufacturers to participate in the forums?

WE need to make this place more popular so that it doesn't fade away.
    I think just keep on doing what your doing. I'm amazed at how much I have learned and how good my system sounds. I try to return the favor to people, but there's not a lot that I can offer. I think the real value that audioreview has over other sites, is it's 'close feeling'. There are not tons of users.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    I can see how a photo showing up every post.... PC are your ears burning?... could get a little old. reduced sigs?
    Adam, your cup runneth over with jealousy. Infact, all of you dirty sunns-uh-biches are afraid of what you don't know...and "what's that?" you might ask? True high fidelity. Looking at pics of a truly top shelf system makes all of you insane with lust and jealousy.

That said, Audio Karma limits the sig significantly as compared to AR. I don't think there's any limits at all Adam. One can make it as big as they like with unlimited words and images.

I'm with Tommy, it would be great to have something like what the Asylum has. A member's area strictly for posting your system contents...including pics. Only paying members can add pics at the Asylum. I think that if AR had this same idea but with the ability to post pics for free, we would be a touch ahead on that front.

Terrence, and anyone else interested, if we went to having a review area in the forum, how would that look? Would it exist within the forum, or just link/connect to it? Perhaps the way to go would be to have it lumped into the general review area as it exists now. From there we could have a link or hotboard connecting people to the newest or most interesting reviews. Surely we can squeeze a small box somewhere in between Solar Aid and Micro Finance.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby

Terrence, and anyone else interested, if we went to having a review area in the forum, how would that look? Would it exist within the forum, or just link/connect to it? Perhaps the way to go would be to have it lumped into the general review area as it exists now. From there we could have a link or hotboard connecting people to the newest or most interesting reviews. Surely we can squeeze a small box somewhere in between Solar Aid and Micro Finance.
    Poppa,
    You can have the review section as a topic just like the hometheater, rave reviews, film sections. You split them up as movie(Bluray, DVD, streaming whatever) and music(Bluray, CD, download, vinyl, etc). You teach the movie reviews how to place screenshots within the review via HTML, and you are ready to go. Then you provide a link on the front page that directs you to that section.

Having both a music and movie review section along with equipment reviews is a tremendous draw to this website if it is done with quality in mind. If it is a hack job, forget it, it will get no respect.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    I guess while I am at it I will throw this out there. One of the several main reasons I don't participate as much as I used to is because this site has become quite unstable. Lately when I have come here, I am met with a "Server is busy" message. After I refresh a couple of times, and it still says that, I am off to another site. I sometimes check in here between recording and mixing sessions, so if I cannot get on, I move on.

The powers that be have got to tackle that issue before you can grow the site. I am not sure their heart is in that at this moment.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    I guess while I am at it I will throw this out there. One of the several main reasons I don't participate as much as I used to is because this site has become quite unstable. Lately when I have come here, I am met with a "Server is busy" message. After I refresh a couple of times, and it still says that, I am off to another site. I sometimes check in here between recording and mixing sessions, so if I cannot get on, I move on.

The powers that be have got to tackle that issue before you can grow the site. I am not sure their heart is in that at this moment.
    That's a very valid point. It took me several time refreshing just to get to reply just now. The site has trouble handling the little traffic we have now. If it grows, the problem will only get worse.

All true. I have issues all the time. Server busy, can't post twice when it was the first time I posted, etc.. Something just isn't working right.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    All true. I have issues all the time. Server busy, can't post twice when it was the first time I posted, etc.. Something just isn't working right.
    The Load Balancer is just really a Load. I also think the crystals are dying, Captain!

A thought / ideas

- in an effect to draw more traffic to the forums, when someone submits a review and hits the 'submit' or 'post' button (whatever they do to post it), a popup message or new page is displayed that asks, "would you like to discuss this "blank" piece of equipment in our forums?"
    Or, just ask them if they would like to be directed to the forum area, etc.

Basically, after each review is submitted, an offer is presented to them to join the discussion forum.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel_
    A thought / ideas

- in an effect to draw more traffic to the forums, when someone submits a review and hits the 'submit' or 'post' button (whatever they do to post it), a popup message or new page is displayed that asks, "would you like to discuss this "blank" piece of equipment in our forums?"

Basically, after each review is submitted, an offer is presented to them to join the discussion forum.
    Best idea yet! Guarenteed to increase traffic exponentially.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible

STtT - over the last two months we've been working on getting new load balancers in place to speed up the sites - as well we are breaking a few connection with part of the company that has split off. Lets just say it hasn't gone smoothly - there are so many interconnections it is mind boggling. Hopefully the stability issue will be resolved soon. It is getting better each week as we fix bugs that pop up here and there.

A thought / ideas

Not a bad idea - i'll see what I can do for that.

Ajani
    A thought / ideas

As others have said: that is a really good idea...

I first learned of these forums over 10 years ago through the reviews section... Actually, I first learned about the existence of High End Audio from that reviews section 10 years ago (back in the days when I thought Panasonic made the world's best stereo products)...

atomicAdam = any action from this thread?

Here we have a collection of folks with nothing but the best interest for this community...having said that, i must be blunt....has any progress been made?

Chicago IL
    Here we have a collection of folks with nothing but the best interest for this community...having said that, i must be blunt....has any progress been made?
    Few days ago I was thinking the same thing. I added some products to the list here but I don't see anything new!

Forum Regular

???

more equipment reviews, more film reviews, more pics and easier to use still don't know how to copy previous comment to post also every time you post the Title is blank so why do you have to enter a new title every time you post a repy also how do you post pics??
    I don't even remember the correct name of this thread now as there is nothing on the screen to tell me

I assume there are some simple answers to this but it should not be a chore to post
    thanks

I have always loved this site because it have reviews of components that other sites do not have. But you always have to look passed the non professional reviews from people that really have no business reviewing audio electronics. I think some professional reviews would be a cool addition but I do understand the financial constraints of doing something like that. But I also agree that we need a larger invite on the main page for the forum. A lot of people miss the forum part of this site due to the fact that they simply do not see it as a option. I know that part of the problem is that most people don't look at a website for all its worth when they are scanning the web but if we could have something that invites them and tells them that they could get information and answers to their audio related questions and advise plus just the plain old talk of audio which I know some younger people do not know about since they were raised in the mp3 environment which is not exactly a audiophile world but that is the future people of audio and that is a fact. Getting some of these younger people interested in higher end audio is going to be the ultimate goal if we plan on keeping any of this going. The best results I have had is to have people over and actually have them listen to their music through some good equipment and most times they are astounded at the difference but usually freak out at the price. But the thing is there are affordable options for them that they might not even know about that we as audiophiles could inform them on and as well tell them that there is a great site like this that they could get a plethora of information about the equipment they just heard and plenty more plus they could gain some friends that share the same music loving passion that they do.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

I will add that there is a fine line between being helpful and being opinionated. I like to help people with the knowledge I have and get help from the people that have been around this hobby a little longer than I have but I think sometimes peoples opinions override one fact that we can not overlook, Every person on this planet has ears and some hear things differently than others and with that in tact people will hear things in some equipment that others don't and some will like products that others hate. That being said I think that we need to understand that some people like certain types of sound from their system what ever their background in this hobby. I know the argument between tube and SS has been going on since way before my time and is there as I am trying to figure out some future system decisions myself but some people prefer the speed and accuracy of SS verses tubes and others prefer the warmth and presence of tubes and do not care about the accuracy or bass presentation of solid state. Same goes with speakers and how they are built or sound. I would wish that this site would have a common goal to get the best sound that every person on this forum can personally achieve within their personal budget and tastes, If the person likes high powered solid state with dynamic speakers that has detail and slam or they prefer the high efficient designs is up to them and we need to realize that we need to be a helping hand and a forum friend for their needs not our own. I would not think that there would be so many brands and types of systems out there if every person had the same hearing or the same tastes.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harley .guy07
    The best results I have had is to have people over and actually have them listen to their music through some good equipment and most times they are astounded at the difference but usually freak out at the price. But the thing is there are affordable options for them that they might not even know about that we as audiophiles could inform them on and as well tell them that there is a great site like this that they could get a plethora of information about the equipment they just heard and plenty more plus they could gain some friends that share the same music loving passion that they do.

I agree with you fully. I think one of the best areas right now, would have to be DACs as far as intruiging the masses. Most of everyone has a computer or laptop, and of those I think alot of people have music files. A DAC is a great "gateway" item as after someone has purchased one, I think natural curiousity will occur.

Portable items are also a good draw and can be a good starting point to stoke the fire of curiousity.

Adam is infact working away on some ideas guys, but red tape prevails like in all walks of progress.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Harley hints at something that might help this site
    I suspect a fair number of people visit the review section but for whatever reason fail to see or don't visit the Forum section. Perhaps when someone visits the review section a little pop-up advertising the Forum section might get their attention or possible linking the gear they are reading reviews on takes them to threads in the forum section regarding that gear.
    not a tech guy so I don't even know if those things are possible.
    Last edited by thekid; 12-03-2010 at 06:25 PM.

A thought / ideas

Another vote for this idea. Like Ajani, I too discovered the Forums while looking for reviews.

Forum Regular

Simple fix

GET RID OF THE REVIEW ENTRIES WITH NO REVIEWS!!!!!!!!!! Second,something I'm guilty of, post a review ,or 10, of some product,particularly a good one, You got audio geniuses here,and it is easier to deal with than other forums. The silence accompanying my response makes me think that these entries are put in by advertisers,and can't be removed. Naive.
    Last edited by Bill K Davis; 12-04-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Suspended
    How about active recruitment? All of us have friends with music and equipment interests. I always point out these forums to people in hopes to add new blood.

Doesn't always work but worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    How about active recruitment? All of us have friends with music and equipment interests. I always point out these forums to people in hopes to add new blood.

Doesn't always work but worth a try.
    thats a great idea. Have a easy email or link add on that you can send to anyone with an email address and make it very user friendly so even people without computer skills that still like to be online can do it. We could send and invite to anyone that could possibly be into audio and a friend of ours and to boot it would not be like junk mail or spam because it is coming from someone they know. Kudos on that one.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Samsung 46" LED TV

Hi Tarheel_

Yes and no. Some action has been made in terms of FaceBook integration with the "like" widget and FaceBook Recommendations. I figured out where/how to edit the page following a review, and am looking at how to better promote the user reviews that you all write. You do write them, right?

I've not had a minute to look through this thread, but I will do that today and make a plan for some of the ideas I can implement, and address others I can't.

Hi Tarheel_

Yes and no. Some action has been made in terms of FaceBook integration with the "like" widget and FaceBook Recommendations. I figured out where/how to edit the page following a review, and am looking at how to better promote the user reviews that you all write. You do write them, right?

I've not had a minute to look through this thread, but I will do that today and make a plan for some of the ideas I can implement, and address others I can't.
    Thanks for answering...i realize everyone is busy so i was just checking in to see where they (suggestions) sit.

Merry Christmas!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information