Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nightflier

How does alcohol affect your apreciation of music?

OK, we've all heard that certain drugs affect our senses. I frequently listen to music with a little wine, especially when I'm settling down with Coleman or Marsalis. Of course not so much with the kids or when I'm auditioning new equipment, but there is something to be said for how it enhances the experience. So what's your prefered beverage/music combination?

Alcohol really kills my high frequency. I never sit around and drink by myself anyways. Good for venues where I dont need to sit and give absolute focus.

Opium tea w/ something mellow. Works like a miracle and it is legal.

-JRA

not that i have too much experience (none actually, i do drink a glass of wine sometimes, but that is not particulary when listening to music) but what theory has learned me is that it can't be any good if you're drunk (of course) but as long if you're not drunk or getting drunk (on the way to being drunk) i think it would'nt affect your listening too much.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Mutant from table 9
    Up to a certain point, alcohol will enhance instument isolation for me. I might pick out the bass line and follow that or pick out a guitar and follow that.

After that point, it always ends up the same for me. I wake up the the next morning with cottonmouth and a Bay City Rollers LP looping endlessly on the TT. Sing it with me now, "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y-Night!"

Forum Regular
    I do not use alcohol to enhance my appreciation of or experience with music. But I do use music to enhance my experience with alcohol-ha.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Cola based drinks tend to interfere with my sinuses and ear canals. Some artificial sweetners cause the same problems. This can create either very scratchy sounding highs or muffled highs depending on quantity. When it is time to listen a good glass of wine will open up the passages and improve my hearing. I also use sudafed if I have drank some diet cola before critical listening if it is too early or inconvenient to drink wine.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Bottle of wine and a jazz venue. Doesn't get much better. Honed the combo at Dimitrou's in Seattle, then onto Yoshi's in Oakland...and one at the Blue Note.

nightflier
    Opium tea. Haven't heard of that one. Legal? Are you writing in from Canada?

Ahem, to get back to the topic, I wasn't implying that alcohol had to enhance the experience. Sometimes a little dulling of the senses makes for a pleasurable experience too - kind of that comfortably numb feeling. Wow, I really should dust off some Floyd records this weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    Opium tea. Haven't heard of that one. Legal? Are you writing in from Canada?
    Nah, I'm write from Denver.
    Legal? Yes(in America), as long as you dont try to sell or make it into other stuff. If you live in Texas, maybe you shouldnt bother. It's herbal medicine. If anyone is curious, PM me.

Since I dont like to drink by myself, music and drinks with my system isnt for me.

I need to stop getting pissed when my phone goes off when I'm listening to music.

peace.

Forum Regular
    I tend to not appreciate music very much with alcohol. It makes me want to keep turning the volume up, but I'm also aware that the music stops sounding good. Also, if I've had too much to drink-and I'm a relative lightweight-I tend to keep changing CDs. My attention span just becomes non existent.

For me, good music or should I say "Great Music" does not need any assistance from a beverage, although I can understand how certain beverages enable a listener to feel more relaxed in that environment, so I suppose it depends on if you are doing casual listening or critical listening that really decides it all.

Usually when I am doing some serious listening I am at it for hours and I like to have something that keeps me alert like sweet tea or Mt. Dew. In a more relaxed state though anything goes.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Actually, I find alcohol dehydrates me, and makes me dizzy. So it gives a false sense of "surround".

On the other hand, it has a "euphoric" effect on carppy music, so...there's that. Think "beer goggles", only listening.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

As the resident drunk, I, unfortunately, would report that alcohol has little impact on my appreciation of music, except maybe to distract me too much. On the other hand, I'd say that my mood has the greatest impact on which music I appreciate at a given time.

cam
    When not having a few cocktails, I tend to put on a cd and skip through to only the songs that I like. When indulging a little, I will play any cd and listen to it from start to finish. Alcohol is useful when you haven't heard parts of your cd collection lately.

Linear Guy

intoxicants

I used to partake of the green leaf every now an then and I always thought it was a music enhancer. Even though alcohol is also an intoxicant, it doesn't do the same for me when listening to music.

Forum Regular
    A nice port with nice music= heaven.

Alcohol is basically a relaxer, and I find it actually heightens some of my senses somewhat i.e. almost like going under anesthetics.. or drifting into a nice deep sleep, being under hypnosis.. where the only sound is the music...

I mean people close their eyes every time when listening to a nice piece of music. Just imagine sipping on a nice vintage, fireplace going in a dark room, sitting in a nice leather recliner, feet up, eyes closed, listening to your favorite Jazz or Classical.... hmmmm...

Of course getting drunk will only make you fall asleep and listen to yourself snoring. Sipping is the key.

I also heard once that for example with Opera you should drink a very light tea (not lipton, but more fancy stuff like camomile or something). I dunno...

Suspended
    Back in the days when I drank, I'm with the guy who said music was to enhance the drinking. What I listened to depended on my mood. The only thing I remember alcohol doing is the more I drank the louder the music had to be. So it either decreases your hearing or increases your appreciation so much you have to feel it.

Large cherry red leather couch, glass of red\white\scotch\beer etc Tosca's J.A.C cd playing, eyes closed........excuse me I have to go

My best listening time

OK, we've all heard that certain drugs affect our senses. I frequently listen to music with a little wine, especially when I'm settling down with Coleman or Marsalis. Of course not so much with the kids or when I'm auditioning new equipment, but there is something to be said for how it enhances the experience. So what's your prefered beverage/music combination?
    In fact I listen best and enjoy music the most on a Saturday or Sunday morning after I've had a cup of coffee. Music is best for me when I'm rested, relaxed, but wakeful.

I quite often sip a glass of wine or beer while listening to music in the early evening around supper or else just be for bed time. However this isn't by my best or most enjoyable listening.

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    I used to partake of the green leaf every now an then and I always thought it was a music enhancer. Even though alcohol is also an intoxicant, it doesn't do the same for me when listening to music.
    I still do and I think it still does. Alcohol which for me means Beer or Wine (I don't drink hard liquor) doesn't enhance the listening experience. It helps with dry mouth. It also helps wash down my munchies food.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Forum Regular
    The smoker you drink, the player you get...

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I dont know about alcohol but listening to music after smoking ganja is an incredible experience, you can focus your hearing onto a single instrument and the sound stage just explodes into 3D since your concentration is all focused to your hearing.
    Some music can get boring because you pickup on some things like using the same 4 chords in the whole song etc.

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    If I'm reviewing gear, or doing an A/B I won't even drink a cup of coffee. Tepid water, and cold concentration are what's called for then. Om the other hand, I've been to my share of Grateful Dead concerts, and as you know (or might have heard) very few people were NOT using some kind of mind altering substance during those (myself included). For MOST concerts I watch on my home system; the DVD goes in, and a bottle of wine gets opened. Perferable a Pinot or Cabernet...
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Wholly crap, Geoff's alive.

I don't find booze enhanced the music much at all...Maybe it blocks out some bad parts - if it can make ugly women look good, maybe it can make bad music sound good? Seemed to work for Metallica in the early days...maybe they should quit AA...

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Yup, still here!

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Wholly crap, Geoff's alive.

I don't find booze enhanced the music much at all...Maybe it blocks out some bad parts - if it can make ugly women look good, maybe it can make bad music sound good? Seemed to work for Metallica in the early days...maybe they should quit AA...
    The reports of my demise have been greatly exagerated. Major project at work has left me little time for fun. But I did have time last night for some BV Cab and Elvis Costello recorded live on Austin City limits....
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information