AR Newbie Registered Member

Hook up cd carousel or dvd/cd to vintage receiver?

I hope someone out there has the knowledge needed for my question. I am wondering if I can hook up a new cd carousel or dvd/cd player to my Pioneer SX580 receiver. I was looking at home theater systems and shelf stereo systems and my head began to spin. Then I had the thought that maybe what I should do is purchase the component and hook it up to my Pioneer and purchase some new speakers. Can I do this? Is it a good or bad idea? I have always liked the sound quality of my tube receiver. If it will work, I'd also like opinions about some decent speakers, including wireless.

Thanks,
    Faith

Suspended
    Hi Faith and welcome. You can absolutely hook up a CD player to your vintage receiver, just go from the CD analog output (L/R RCA) to any input on the receiver except "phono". For speakers, my advice would be to listen to what's available to get a feel for what you like, and forget wireless, if you found some that worked they wouldn't sound nearly as good as wired. If your receiver is tube you may want to stick with speakers that are above 90dB sensitive, depending on the receivers output power. What is your budget?

If you are interested in home theater (surround sound) you would have to get a new receiver. If your primary concern is stereo listening, I'm sure the concensus around here would be to keep that sweet ole tube receiver.

Of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Faith
    I hope someone out there has the knowledge needed for my question. I am wondering if I can hook up a new cd carousel or dvd/cd player to my Pioneer SX580 receiver. I was looking at home theater systems and shelf stereo systems and my head began to spin. Then I had the thought that maybe what I should do is purchase the component and hook it up to my Pioneer and purchase some new speakers. Can I do this? Is it a good or bad idea? I have always liked the sound quality of my tube receiver. If it will work, I'd also like opinions about some decent speakers, including wireless.

Thanks,
    Faith
    Faith...you can hook it up as Mr. Peabody mentioned and might be the best bet for right now, but you might be looking to do something in 5.1 surround sound in which case you could easily get a capable new receiver for about $300 from Pioneer that would be sufficient. Do you have any pics of the Pioneer you own?

Forum Regular
    Hi Faith, I just did an internet search and found details of your receiver. It is a transistorized-solid state unit. It is rated 20 watts per channel; a low output powered unit for its day but very functional nevertheless. If you purchase two speakers for this unit, you need to take its power output in mind. Your selector knob indicates AUX. Your connection would be from the L/R audio outputs of your new dvd/cd player into the AUX input of your receiver.

Suspended
    Actually back then a 20 or 25 watt receiver was pretty common. You didn't see many receivers approaching 100 watts. Speakers were more sensitiv because most were paper cones and watts then were generally quality watts due to all discrete circuits ( no IC chips). If you want decent volume you should stay above 90dB sensitivity (SPL).with modern speakers. Give Paradigm a listen.

Hook up cd carousel or dvd/cd to vintage receiver?

Thank you for the replies to my questions.

This is mainly about listening to music, however it did occur to me that maybe we could hook up a dvd/cd player for the TV, too. We aren't very interested in surround sound right now and could do without hooking up a dvd/cd player to it. We already have a dvd/cd player and with all the talk about changes coming, I don't want to invest in anything too expensive in that line.

We originally were looking at something for both, but I don't think that is a good idea right now. If we bought a whole system, I wouldn't want to spend more than $1200, if that. And it would have to include a carousel. So I'm thinking getting a carousel (could be dvd/cd) and some new speakers would be best for now. Then I could hook up my other components to the receiver, too.

I was disappointed that the reply about wireless speakers wasn't positive. We were hoping to have the system go all over the house and outside without a lot of wires.

I'm thinking I'd like to stay below $500 for the carousel and speakers. I can hook up more that 2 speakers, though.

Don't have a picture handy, but I found pics on the web.

Any more suggestions?

Again, thank you for taking the time to address my questions.

Faith

Suspended
    A company called Recoton made some wireless speakers that sent the signal through your homes AC wiring via wall outlets. I haven't heard these but if they are still available you could try a pair. If aren't great, they still could work for outside.

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

And...

...please do give some consideration to your neighbors with those outdoor speakers...no one likes being a captive audience to someone else's musical taste...

jimHJJ(...just some food for thought...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

I fully agree with you, having listened to people blasting their music at a former residence of mine. We aren't planning on playing loud music unless it would be at a tent party at the back of our land, which is about 1 acre. Even then it wouldn't be that loud.

Oh I do...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...please do give some consideration to your neighbors with those outdoor speakers...no one likes being a captive audience to someone else's musical taste...

jimHJJ(...just some food for thought...)

My favorite is when I am walking from a store to my car and I hear BOOM BOOM RRRR RRRR BOOOM BOOOM.....and look in the distance at the dented Chevy Cavalier rolling up the road rumbling away as the rusted tailpipe bounces off the ground and the license plate holder does a dance. I thoroughy enjoy listening to songs with only the frequencies below 20hz, it's kinda like a game...it's called "Guess the bassline". It's almost like Morse Code with solid bass tapping out a distress signal saying "please put me out of my misery...this system cost more than my vehicle".

Thread Information