Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...exception to the statement that equates "gearheaded-ness" and collecting various performances of the same piece...

As an example, I have three recordings of Orff's Carmina Burana...One I recorded from a New Years Day simulcast some years ago...It was my introduction to the piece and it has a certain sentimental value, but also has some technical deficiencies...The second was my first commercial recording of it and the chorus is impeccable...in the third, one of the male vocalists rolls his Rs in a highly theatrical manner that is at once amusing and entertaining...

Same with Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5, "The Emperor"...I have a number of performances of the piece from a Telarc Ozawa/BSO/Serkin collaboration to others purchased from the Musical Heritage Society and others from Ax and Brendel. My first exposure to it was it's final movement contained in a sampler disk obtained as a freebie from the company that manufactured my loudspeakers...Eight or ten excerpts from the Mercury Living Presence recordings...It included Mussorgsky's Pictures At An Exhibition of which I have a number of performances, ranging from the full Mercury recording to the original un-orchestrated solo piano work to Emerson, Lake and Palmer's interpretation of it...And I believe that is the key word "interpretation"...
    Funny, I used that word over in RR and it has since caused quite a stir. RL, you mention the Mercury recordings. Is this the same as the Mercury Theater on the Air that broadcast programs on the radio before the TV was invented? I'm trying to find the vinyl recording of The War of the Worlds that was broadcast and narrated by Orson Wells, which if you'll recall caused widespread panic when people listening to it thought we really were being invaded from outer space. We had it in our family when I was very young, but I think it got thrown out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by RL
    Wagner with and without words...Mozart operas and symphonies for winds...transcriptions of major pieces of the classical canon for solo classical guitar, etc. Interest in the potential variations of particular pieces has zero relationship to to the constant equipment "upgrade-itis" that afflicts many.

Whether it is simply a search for the elusive "sonic grail" or the "my dog's bigger'n'your dog/bragging rights" syndrome, that is the addiction IMHO...Wanting to hear Caruso vs. Pavarotti, the BSO vs. the NY Philharmonic, Bernstein vs. Ormandy, or even mono vs. stereo, or analog vs. digital is another whole can of beans...

Gear is gear is gear, but the magic of the moment contained in a particular recording is THE reason for the gear...

jimHJJ(...and some folks seem to lose sight of that salient fact...)
    I don't necessarily agree with your assumption that gear is gear is gear, but I do agree that the software is what drives the hardware.

This feels like....

....a definitive case of deja vu. I am sure we have been here before, several times! Yes?

Anyway, although I agree with Jim's and Rich in Texas' post, there is however a flip side to the coin. If the music drives the gear then surely the gear plays the music. You need both unless, you pick up the old six string and entertain yourself.
    I find both sides exciting. A great new album, picked up on recommendation from RR or a piece of equipment that fit's into my set-up really well and does exactely what it says on the tin.
    Oddly enough, most of my new music gets it's first listen either in the car or in my study. And I enjoy getting the basics of the piece. When it's played later in the listening room, there's lot's more to discover.
    I mirror Basites sentiment that you don't have to have exotic multi K gear to enjoy it. It's what you get out of it that counts.
    On top of that I like my system to look good too. I am not into hair shirt set-ups and trailing wires everywhere.
    My point is, I guess, that I love listening to my music, and if I can afford it I like to hear it on a decent system, without giving any thought whatsoever to the cost of it all.

Peace

Last edited by Bernd; 07-05-2007 at 07:38 AM.
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Funny, I used that word over in RR and it has since caused quite a stir. RL, you mention the Mercury recordings. Is this the same as the Mercury Theater on the Air that broadcast programs on the radio before the TV was invented? I'm trying to find the vinyl recording of The War of the Worlds that was broadcast and narrated by Orson Wells, which if you'll recall caused widespread panic when people listening to it thought we really were being invaded from outer space. We had it in our family when I was very young, but I think it got thrown out at some point.

I don't necessarily agree with your assumption that gear is gear is gear, but I do agree that the software is what drives the hardware.
    FWIW, The two Mercury's are mutually exclusive...the Theater Of The Air, a collaboration of Orson Welles and John Houseman has nothing to do with Mercury Records...Unfortunately, from my brief surfin' safari, it seems WOTW is out of print on any media, however if you go to:

http://www.mercurytheatre.info

...you may be able to download a copy of it.

RR is a forum that has many land mines in the guise of absolutist POVs allowing for little latitude IMO...you think the great cable debate is messy?

A bit of clarification on my "gear" remark, my brevity may have been somewhat confusing...Obviously one can opt for more power, "better" speakers and the like, but essentially the gear is merely the delivery system, albeit a system that has any number of performance "levels" (for lack of better words) up 'til the point of diminishing returns...As I have stated previously, I can be utterly transfixed by Pavarotti's performance of Nessun Dorma via my GE portable radio with its single 2.5 in. speaker simply because it's the performance that really counts.

Obviously a full range and dynamic orchestral piece will benefit from a system of a commensurate abilities...however, I don't really feel it is an absolute necessity to appreciate the complexities (or simplicity for that matter) of the composition or artistry of the performers(s).

Improving the gear may raise your level of enjoyment on some ephemeral and/or subjective level, but no level of expenditure will make a lesser performance or recording be anything more than what it is.

jimHJJ(...it will probably only be louder...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    ....a definitive case of deja vu. I am sure we have been here before, several times! Yes?
    ...but it sure beats answering questions like "Does this integrated amp have a pre-amp?" or other inanities...and yeah I know, we all started there but fer crissakes, if you're gonna' include a link to the owners manual, at least thumb through it...

Anywho, these sites just seem to recycle old news, particularly in fallow times...

But to get back on track with the OPs post (you great big PITA)...Obviously the hardware should be able to extract the max from the software...but...once you reach a certain point, all the $$$ cables and preamps etc. will, for the most part, will allow you to play it louder...

Since we are dealing with software that is inherently flawed (again for the most part multiple mono tracks synthesized into a stereo or MC presentation) any supposed nuances afforded by the big bucks are suspect in my book...

jimHJJ(...insert Bronx cheer here...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Loser
    ...but it sure beats answering questions like "Does this integrated amp have a pre-amp?" or other inanities...and yeah I know, we all started there but fer crissakes, if you're gonna' include a link to the owners manual, at least thumb through it...

jimHJJ(...insert Bronx cheer here...)
    Ha-ha. And me (like a fool) didn't notice that he had the manual link at first. I found it was being sold on Ebay for $20 with lengthy explanations. Then I found the manual link and was about to post it when I noticed that he already had it.
    Sometimes I feel like such an idiot.

I know that this thread is a bit of a rehash, but we needed something to talk about. It's been soooooooo sloooooooooooow.....
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Well....

....I get my hat and coat then.

Oh by the way- does my integrated has a pre-out.....................................

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Quote Originally Posted by gmichael
    This was all just something to talk about. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I.
    Verily. As Jim pointed out, this is so much better than the normal dribble and I applaud you for creating this thread. As you noticed, this is the most I've posted in a while. There's a reason for that; there's been nothing worthwhile to post about.

Make more interesting threads like this Mike, and I'll be happy to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Verily. As Jim pointed out, this is so much better than the normal dribble and I applaud you for creating this thread. As you noticed, this is the most I've posted in a while. There's a reason for that; there's been nothing worthwhile to post about.

Make more interesting threads like this Mike, and I'll be happy to contribute.
    Thanks Speedy,

Although not as controversial as this thread, we could use your input over here.

Specs 101. Class has started
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

within your means

thats what your system should be. IF it were within my means, the MBLs would be in consideration. etc. a dedicated, purpose built room would be also forthcoming. a walker or sirius or other worthy tt would be there. meitner digital front end maybe. likely some tubes in the front end, and not sure if ss or tubes would be the power.

as for now, my system will do. changes come slowly, variety in music is a must, hence the large arsenal that resides here. video is not as important to me but surround will evolve from my dynaquad eventually, it will just not be sonically intrusive. naturalness is the keyword.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/588.html

when i went to the arc preamp, the quality level rose dramatically, perhaps as much as when i went to separates in the first place.

it CAN be about money but fine sound can be affordable. high end is a sound, not necessarily a price. the nad 3020 and adcXLM are perfect examples of that.
    ...regards...tr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information