Thread: Wiring Question

Forum Regular

Wiring Question

Almost feel ashamed to ask this but I can't seem to find answers elsewhere. Please try to keep your laughter to a minimum

How do I go about wiring a single speaker to a stereo amp to get a mono mix? Don't want to see any blue smoke today if at all possible hehe.....

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Bill L
    Don't know what you mean by mono "mix".

Run speaker wire from positive left and right on the amplifier to positive terminal on the speaker. Do the same for negative left and right to the negative terminal of speaker. You will have two wires going to each speaker terminal.

Or, splice positive left and right from the amp and connect to positive speaker terminal. Do same for negative, You will have one wire going to each speaker terminal, with splices wherever you want to hide them.
    Music:
    Magnepan 1.6 QR's, upgraded xovers
    B&K 125.2 reference amp
    SONY SACD 2000ES
    Technics direct drive TT

HT:
    Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
    Bang&Olofsun Penta Surrounds
    SONY Bravia 46" HD LCD

You can't. connecting both channels together brings a good risk of neither channel working, at least without repairs.

Connect the speaker to one channel and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by fleecaf
    How do I go about wiring a single speaker to a stereo amp to get a mono mix? Don't want to see any blue smoke today if at all possible hehe...
    While Mark is correct, there are a couple of outside possibilities:

1. Your amp is bridgeable. That means there is a way to switch the amp's configuration to use both sides of it with a single output. Such would be evident in the manual or by looking at a switch on the amp.

2. Your speaker is bi-ampable. In which case you would split the signal and send the same input to each channel of the amp. One channel output would be connected to the woofer's connectors and the other to the upper driver(s) connector.

rw

Forum Regular
    Thanks all...Managed to get a plug-in for winamp that allows for mono out, so I'm just running the speaker using the left channel of the amp...The beatles sound fine through it, so it must be working

Thread Information