Question with my little unorthodox setup.

Here is what I'm using
    Yamaha CDP, Rotel HT receiver, and Tube Integrated.

Lately I've been getting sick of my Yamaha's on-board DAC. so I got digital out to my Rotel and using it's DAC. Then going Pre-out from my Rotel to back of my Integrated.

Alot of routing and kinda goes away from more minimal approach.

To turn the volume up, I have 3 options. Adjust volume on my my CDP, Receiver, and integrated amp. Of course I can use all 3 combination.

What I wanna ask it, do I need to watch how much voltage I'm ultimately feeding into back on my Tube Integrated? I really dont hear any distortion when I crank up on my Rotel, but a bit worried about how much I'm feeding the tube pre-stage.

Sound wise, it's not as bright as thru my Yamaha. Sounds much smoother, but killed overall dynamic.
    -JRA

Suspended
    You might try using the tape monitor output of your Rotel, if it has one. That way the output would be fixed and the only volume you'd have to adjust is the tube integrated. You really should just keep your eye out for a good buy on a used DAC. Or maybe just upgrade your cdp.

Humm!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Here is what I'm using
    Yamaha CDP, Rotel HT receiver, and Tube Integrated.

Lately I've been getting sick of my Yamaha's on-board DAC. so I got digital out to my Rotel and using it's DAC. Then going Pre-out from my Rotel to back of my Integrated.

Alot of routing and kinda goes away from more minimal approach.

To turn the volume up, I have 3 options. Adjust volume on my my CDP, Receiver, and integrated amp. Of course I can use all 3 combination.

What I wanna ask it, do I need to watch how much voltage I'm ultimately feeding into back on my Tube Integrated? I really dont hear any distortion when I crank up on my Rotel, but a bit worried about how much I'm feeding the tube pre-stage.

Sound wise, it's not as bright as thru my Yamaha. Sounds much smoother, but killed overall dynamic.
    -JRA
    Does your Yammy indeed have a variable digital out?? Generally digital outs are fixed. As for the Rotel I'm inclined agree with Mr. Peabody: use a tape-out from it, i.e. fix volume. This means that you tube integrated gets maximum voltage and you would use its volume control to control the level.

On the other hand, does your tube integrated have a remote control? If not, use the preamp-out on the Rotel and set the tube's volume to "unity gain", (no gain or attenuation of the incoming signal); this way you can use the Rotel's remote to control volume. If you're not sure where the tube's unity gain setting is, just set its volume to 12 o'clock and you'll be in the general area.

Thread Information