Help for a novice ?

Printable View

• 12-08-2015, 04:38 AM
    Wolfie2
    Help for a novice ?
    Hiii Seeing the interest in vinyl coming back i would like to play my old vinyl. I have an old JVC LE-20 Turntable but no speakers or amplifier. Mt son used it last as part of a system to digitalise his music). I am looking for the most cost effective way of playing them. I am not worried about really hi - fidelity sound .
    the only other things that i have of possible use apart from a newish samsung TV ( speakers??) is a Altec Lansing 'InMotion' mobile MP3 player - as far as i know just speakers.
    With all the new gagets around s it possible to get a cheap simple amplifier and possibly computer speakers ( if the altec lansing is no good)
    The jackplug sockets i have on the turntable are
    Phone Output R and L and
    Synchro (E30B)

On the Mp3 speaker there is a single Input jackplug socket ( Like on a phone ) or a 'male' MP3 jackplug on a lead.
    Sorry toi be so longwinded but hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than me can help with this hopefully simple task
  • 12-08-2015, 06:16 AM
    Mr Peabody
    Any idea if the phono preamp is built into the turntable? If so, you could plug the L/R into any AUX input. You could buy a boombox with AUX or a used receiver and speakers, which would work even if the phono preamp wasn't built in as long as the receiver had the phono preamp built in.

As I have time I will try to see if I can find info on your table for a better answer. Welcome to AR
  • 12-08-2015, 09:31 AM
    blackraven
    Without knowing how much you want to spend, this Onkyo Receiver has a built in Phono preamp and a front usb port for connecting your IPod. If you want to connect it to a computer you will need to buy a cheap usb DAC. It has plenty of power to drive most speakers.

ONKYO TX-8050 80watts x 2ch Network Stereo Receiver | Accessories4less

These Elac B5 speakers are small and sound great. They were the talk of the Newport Audio Show this past summer. If you have the space and money consider the larger B6's.

ELAC Debut B5 Bookshelf Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

Here are some other speakers-

Bookshelf at Music Direct

And these Powered speakers will work but you will need to buy a cheap phono preamp-

Audioengine A2+ Powered Bookshelf Speakers at Music Direct

Phono preamps-

Budget Phono Preamps
  • 12-08-2015, 04:39 PM
    Wolfie2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Any idea if the phono preamp is built into the turntable? If so, you could plug the L/R into any AUX input. You could buy a boombox with AUX or a used receiver and speakers, which would work even if the phono preamp wasn't built in as long as the receiver had the phono preamp built in.

As I have time I will try to see if I can find info on your table for a better answer. Welcome to AR

Thanks for your answer that was exactly what i was looking for
    I have found a belgian site that offers every part of the lE 20 as spares and nowhere on the page does it talk about anyting other than the turntable parts belt etc no preamp parts mentioned so i can only assume it does not include a preamp
    now that i know what i am looking for there is a discount electrical store ( Maplins) here in the uk that sells a stereo phone pre amp for about $75. A tiny little thing . lookng at the photo it has 2 jackplug in and 2 jackplug out sockets L & R so if i attach the in to the turntable and the out to my altec lansing speakers ( using a 2 male jackplug lead one end connected to a 3 .5 ml phono plug the other i reckkon it will work.
    What i needed was the suggestion and name of a pre amp
    Thanks so much