Forum Regular

I think I just broke my stereo system...

...So I think I just did something really stupid and broke something somewhere in my stereo set-up. Don't know which part is broken, so that's why I'm posting in the general category here.
    I've got a vintage Marantz integrated amp (SR 6000) hooked up to 2 new Boston CR95s and my macbook. I went to unplug the cable to the amp from the laptop while everything was powered up and playing. A mistake, in hindsight, but then these things are always clearer in hindsight. Something either broke then or when i plugged it back in, because then the music refused to come out of the Bostons and only came out of the laptop speakers. The Bostons only give out a low, angry hum, no matter if I have them hooked up to the aux circuit or either of the tape monitor circuits.
    What is broken? Is it fixable? Crap.

is the macbook your only source? hook up a cd player and see if that gets you anything. if all is well when using the cd, it would be something in the output or the cable from the mac that went south.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Forum Regular
    unfortunately i don't currently own a cd player; my mac is my only source into my system..

kinda hard to test the amp without one ... no dvd player?
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

More than likely you screwed your soundcard in you computer.
    I DOUBT that any momentary short could damage a marantz integrated , or both speakers.
    You might just have jerked the cable and broke it.
    Plug a vcr, dvd or anything with an audio output in and try it.
    DOUBT IF ITS SERIOUS
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

music refused to come out of the Bostons and only came out of the laptop speakers
    Pixelthis: If the sound is coming from his laptop speakers, then how do you figure its the soundcard in the mac?
    Lots of music but not enough time for it all

Forum Regular

Talking

hmm, for whatever reason, it works fine now, 12 hours later.

i wonder what was going on there, but regardless--disaster averted, albeit with the addition of another couple gray hairs on my head.

i really truly don't own any other input source other than my computer (beginning audiophile so no other cd player from an older setup or anything, and no tv, so no dvd player) so i was dreading having to go around and knock on my neighbors' doors begging for the temporary loan of somebody's cd player to test my amp. phew.

thanks guys for your help anyway.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian
    Pixelthis: If the sound is coming from his laptop speakers, then how do you figure its the soundcard in the mac?
    Could damage the switch or other circuitry since the soundcard is a complicated bundle of ICs.

Quote Originally Posted by gloopy

i wonder what was going on there, but regardless--disaster averted, albeit with the addition of another couple gray hairs on my head.

i really truly don't own any other input source other than my computer (beginning audiophile so no other cd player from an older setup or anything, and no tv, so no dvd player) so i was dreading having to go around and knock on my neighbors' doors begging for the temporary loan of somebody's cd player to test my amp. phew.

Being a Mac owner i have had issues with this before in regards to external speakers and the internal speakers...I think the computer gets confused sometimes and you have to go under the system preferences and into the sound settings and make sure that the output it selected to the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by gloopy

Heres some more.
    Go to audiomagnus.com and check out their usb dacs.
    After looking at CD players for a month I have just about decided to go this route.
    These dacs are pretty cheap, they upconvert your audio on your computer and output
    a 192khz signal, digital out or audio, which you can plug into what ever you're using for an amp.
    One has a headphone amp built in so you have your own audio system in ome compact place. They also have a digital amp hooked up to minispeakers, intended primarily for computers.
    Interesting things on this site and, yep, first heard about it here!
    As for the speakers still working, you could blow one section and the other might still work
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information