Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Regular
    I have spent a few years lurking the various Audio Sites and have recently started hanging around AR again after some time away. This was one of the first sites that I found because of the Reviews. I learned a great deal from the guys here and have moved much further up the audio chain than I ever thought possible. You are some of the guys that got me hooked.
    I read with great interest in recent days about your concern with gaining interest from new members. You had an excellent opportunity here and it appears that you shot yourself in the foot. I think that there was some interesting information regarding measurements with the Radio Shack meter and Rives Test cd. Nobody interested in quality sound be without these or similar tools. It however, appears to me that the thread starter was interested in what he could do to make what he had sound better. He was told very politely to "sell your junk and get better equipment". Clearly a 10' x 10' room is problematic and quite possibly the subwoofer should be turned off for two channel listening. He was obviously very proud of his system and I think he could have been given guidance with positioning of speakers, inexpensive room treatments, and bass control.

You guys have more knowledge about audio than I can ever hope to learn. I used your knowledge and the help of others to put together three systems in my home (all of which are decidedly mid-fi or better). I did it all a bit at the time. When I first looked at the AudioReview forums and asked questions I had an inexpensive Yamaha receiver and a Klipsch HT. If I had been told to sell my stuff and get new stuff, I would have left offended and found other places to spend my time.

This is a great resource and this is a great place to learn. Please remember that we all started somewhere.

Just my 2 Cents.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson

This is a great resource and this is a great place to learn. Please remember that we all started somewhere.

Just my 2 Cents.

Jeff
    Not only do we all start somewhere, but in this hobby we are NEVER done. It's not about 'finishing' it's about running the race and always looking for better. If the quest is over, there is little point to this hobby. It is the quest that keeps making things better and better! Hope you wish to continue the journey.
    Last edited by PeruvianSkies; 09-02-2007 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson
    I have spent a few years lurking the various Audio Sites and have recently started hanging around AR again after some time away. This was one of the first sites that I found because of the Reviews. I learned a great deal from the guys here and have moved much further up the audio chain than I ever thought possible. You are some of the guys that got me hooked.
    I read with great interest in recent days about your concern with gaining interest from new members. You had an excellent opportunity here and it appears that you shot yourself in the foot. I think that there was some interesting information regarding measurements with the Radio Shack meter and Rives Test cd. Nobody interested in quality sound be without these or similar tools. It however, appears to me that the thread starter was interested in what he could do to make what he had sound better. He was told very politely to "sell your junk and get better equipment". Clearly a 10' x 10' room is problematic and quite possibly the subwoofer should be turned off for two channel listening. He was obviously very proud of his system and I think he could have been given guidance with positioning of speakers, inexpensive room treatments, and bass control.

You guys have more knowledge about audio than I can ever hope to learn. I used your knowledge and the help of others to put together three systems in my home (all of which are decidedly mid-fi or better). I did it all a bit at the time. When I first looked at the AudioReview forums and asked questions I had an inexpensive Yamaha receiver and a Klipsch HT. If I had been told to sell my stuff and get new stuff, I would have left offended and found other places to spend my time.

Just my 2 Cents.

Jeff
    JEFF, you are absolutely right that you "have to start somewhere" and in the case of this paticular poster that "somewhere" was the nearest dumpster, where most Cerwin vegas belong.
    Ever heard that you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear?
    My first receiver as an "inexpensive" yamaha, 35 watts times two, really nice, but it was something to build on, hooked to a pair of genesis speakers.
    But my VERY first was a "morse" compact stereo with a record changer in the top, a gift from the folks at 13. As soon as I could I put a better pair of speakers on it, helped a little
    at least.
    Basically though you can "place speakers" all day long, it wont help if they are car stereo speakers in a cheap cabinet. That guy wanted help, and to tell him anything else would be malpractice. After wasting his time "placing" speakers and really not getting much improvement how much will he think that we "know"?
    bose sucks as a general rule but they make a great "mini monitor " system callede media mate, in several different flavors.
    I guarentee ya that these hooked up to an ipod will beat any pair of cerwins out there
    (easy to do really)
    Sometimes the truth hurts, but with pain begins healing
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

I think we are all wasting our breath...this guy is probably gone and won't listen anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information