AR Newbie Registered Member

Help: B&O Beo-Lab5000 Speakers need a receiver!

Hi - looking to setup my first audio system. Inherited a pair of Beo-Lab 5000 B&O speakers - the taller panel speakers. I would like to start small and just setup audio via a receiver and some cable wire. I would use this mostly for mp3 music from my computer, either via hardline or Apple Airport Express (wireless iTunes to Airport Express to Receiver to Speakers). Down the road, I would like to use the same receiver/speakers as part of a surround sound setup so any receiver I buy now would be able to support that. I am very new to audio - have been told $300ish is more than sufficient for a beginner receiver. What type of receiver should I get and any other suggestions on how to accomplish?

Ultimate goal: play music from my computer into these speakers, and possibly television as well.

Thx in advance.

PDN
    Forum Regular
    Well, the selection of an AVR for these loudspeakers depends on the specs of the speakers themselves. I just found them on-line (the ones with built-in amps but I'll assume you don't have the amps) and see that they are rated at a nominal 8 ohms, long term max power input of 120 watts, and a sensitivity of 89dB. That's about average. You don't want to select an AVR with too little power which can not drive these to their full potential. For a brand new unit, you may have to spend more than $300.00. Don't go that low. Can you squeeze out $500.00 for new? Try and shoot for an AVR rated at 100 watts/channel into 8 ohms all channels driven. Rotel and NAD rate their AVRs this way (all channels driven). Many of the others such as Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, etc will publish a per channel watt power output rating but then in the small fine print state that this is based on 2 channels driven, not all channels driven. Just my input for you.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Specific Receiver

Do you have any suggestions for a specific model? Will any of these be able to be used down the road when I ultimately use this for surround sound? Do you suggest using these speakers for TV as well as playing music?

Thx
    DL

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nwpumacats
    Hi - looking to setup my first audio system. Inherited a pair of Beo-Lab 5000 B&O speakers - the taller panel speakers. I would like to start small and just setup audio via a receiver and some cable wire. I would use this mostly for mp3 music from my computer, either via hardline or Apple Airport Express (wireless iTunes to Airport Express to Receiver to Speakers). Down the road, I would like to use the same receiver/speakers as part of a surround sound setup so any receiver I buy now would be able to support that. I am very new to audio - have been told $300ish is more than sufficient for a beginner receiver. What type of receiver should I get and any other suggestions on how to accomplish?

Ultimate goal: play music from my computer into these speakers, and possibly television as well.

Thx in advance.
    According to what I have found on the net, the BeoLab 5000 is a self-powered speaker. This would need a preamp or at least a CD player with a volume control.

The VeoVox 5000 is the passive version. This would require amplification from a receiver or other amplifier.

http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=1002

I imagine any good receiver should drive the Beo vox reasonably well, but I really know nothing more about them. You can check the link to follow further links to the systems it was supposed to go with.
    "Opposition brings concord. Out of discord comes the fairest harmony."
    ------Heraclitus of Ephesis (fl. 504-500 BC), trans. Wheelwright.

Thread Information