Forum Regular

Question Help

Hello everybody I am a new audiophile I have always delt with shelf
    systems but a couple of weeks ago I walked into a circuitcity and
    heard a harmon kardon reciever with bose speakers and I was hooked
    I live in new york city so I know there will be no problem finding things
    can anyone recomend books or magazines on the subject? any advice
    would be apreciated thankyou

First piece of advice: what sort of system do you want? 2-channel or 5.1 surround sound? What components will you need to buy? Receiver, CD/DVD player, speakers, subwoofer?
    2nd: Pinpoint a budget and we can point you in the right direction.
    3rd: Forget bose. Friends don't let friend buy bose.

First piece of advice you'll get...stay far, far, far away from Bose. They don't get much worse than that.

If you were impressed by Bose, you'll be knocked on your a$$ by a real speaker setup. Without even leaving Circuit City you can find speaker systems by Polk or Infinity that will destroy Bose for half the cost. And like you said, if you're in NYC there's no reason to waste time at Circuit City or Best Buy. Go to a real home audio shop. I'm sure there's someone here familiar with NYC that can point you to some.

Paul is right. Friends dont let friends buy Bose.

Bose is all marketing. All you have to do is open up one of the speakers and it's very obvious how poor there built. Not to mention they dont list specs. Here is some good info on Bose and there practices.

However HK makes some killer products. Plus there power specs are not hyped or manipulated to make a product look better.

http://www.fiendation.com/300zx/bosefaq.htm
    http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

For some great speakers look at -

Paradigm
    Energy
    PSB
    B&W
    Athena
    Klipsch
    KEF

This is just a small sample of great companies with killer speakers at very reasonable prices.

Forum Regular
    Hi Paul

Right now I am concentrating on 2-channel audio
    equipment I have a sony home theatre in a box
    but I will upgrade that also I can work with
    $2500.00 to $3000.00 thankyou for your help

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your help

Forum Regular
    Hello I will defintly look into these companies these companies thankyou
    for your help

Forum Regular
    Hi paul I am looking to upgrade everything

Forum Regular
    Welcome to the fun and rewarding world of audio. As for New York city I would imagine
    alot of possibilites. J and R is a mail order company with great reviews and they have a
    retail store in New York city. I'm sure if you have questions , there are plenty of people
    here in AR forums that are more than willing to helpout. Again welcome

Here are 3 dealers who sell Paradigm in NYC. If they sell Paradigm they should be a good shop and should have anything you need:

ROYAL MUSIC
    31 CANAL ST, ABC BUILDING
    NEW YORK, NY
    212-387-7766

AUDIO VIDEO CENTER
    65 E. BROADWAY
    NEW YORK, NY
    212-571-4143

AUDIO VIDEO CENTER
    133 BOWERY
    NEW YORK, NY
    212-965-1005

Well, with that budget you could build a great 2-channel system or you could begin building a good 5.1 system that would also do a fabulous job with 2-channel audio. If you want to build a separate 2-channel system, I'd recommend getting an integrated amp (for under $1k), which is like a receiver for 2-channel audio but without the tuner which you could always add on via the used market. And then you'd have enough money to get a good CD player and quality kick-ass speakers. Are you looking to get bookshelf or floorstanding speakers?

For a 5.1 system, you could get a good receiver in the neighboorhood of $750, and you may wish to build the speakers a bit at a time, finding those speakers that please you best for music and movies and then find a matching center (the 3 front speakers being the most important). Quality subwoofers usually begin at $500 and can be added last, depending on how far your budget can be stretched. A good universal DVD player can be had between $100 and $300 and will all usually do a good job with CDs.

The most exciting part is getting out there and familiarizing yourself with quality audio brands outside the big box stores and give a listen to what it all sounds like.

Forum Regular

Question speakers

I guess I will go with bookshelf speakers I have a small place
    is there a difference between floor standing speakers and
    bookshelf?

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fuente
    I guess I will go with bookshelf speakers I have a small place
    is there a difference between floor standing speakers and
    bookshelf?
    Is there a difference between a V6 and V8? Both good. Bad V6's and bad V8's. V6 and V8 with same HP,V8 will work abit easier. I think i got lost. LOL
    Look & Listen

Color me gone... Resident Loser's Avatar

First thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuente
    Hello everybody I am a new audiophile I have always delt with shelf
    systems but a couple of weeks ago I walked into a circuitcity and
    heard a harmon kardon reciever with bose speakers and I was hooked
    I live in new york city so I know there will be no problem finding things
    can anyone recomend books or magazines on the subject? any advice
    would be apreciated thankyou
    ...buy whatever speakers you like...they are the most important part of your system...they are what you really hear...your opinion is much more important than anyone else's...If you prefer Bose, by all means buy them...that brand just happens to be the whipping-boy of the industry and the so-called audio pundits.

jimHJJ(...it's THE thing to do...)
    Hello, I'm a misanthrope...don't ask me why, just take a good look around.

"Men would rather believe than know" -Sociobiology: The New Synthesis by Edward O. Wilson

"The great masses of the people...will more easily fall victims to a great lie than to a small one" -Adolph Hitler

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves" -Goethe

If you repeat a lie often enough, some will believe it to be the truth...

That's a healthy budget for a two channel rig. Without question, you should apply the vast majority of your budget towards the speakers. This thread should give you plenty of ideas of what to audition. Speakers are the most important, as well as the most subjective, of an link in the audio chain. Because every speaker interacts differently with a given room, it's best to take the speakers you like best and demo them in your own home. You'll quickly find that what may sound great in the dealer's listening room may not like your room one whit. Listen to everything you can find, believe in your ears, and vote with your wallet.

After you pick your speaks, start auditioning proper integrateds that can drive the speakers properly. Creek, Roksan, Cambridge Audio, Nad, Rotel, Jolida, and ASL are but a few that make very nice integrateds <$1K. Throw in a nice cd player like the Cambridge 540c and you've got the makings of a very satisfying rig.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Forum Regular
    Hi Fuente and welcome,
    It's a little bewildering, isn't it? Especially since you live in NYC and virtually every brand in existence is available to you. First you want to get educated a little. Sites like this one can be very helpful. One site that I've found has a lot of good, basic info is www.audioholics.com. A good book is The Complete Guide to High End Audio by Robert Harley. Rather than buy it, get it at a library and/or skim through it at a bookstore first to make sure you find it helpful. It's good but it's very in depth and may have more than you want or need. Magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound or What HiFi can be helpful and you can check them out but I think websites are actually a little better.
    So what should you get? You've had some good suggestions so I'll just try to boil it down a little. First decide what you want. Basically you need three things: 1) power-an integrated amp or a receiver (an integrated with a radio), 2) source-cd player (or dvd if you wish), 3) speakers. You already have the second item, a budget. Frankly with yours you can buy a really nice system in the $2k-$2.5k range and save a little. Third pick out a couple of favorite cd's that you know and like really well. Take these to stores with you so you can listen to equipment with familiar music. This makes it a little easier to decide what you like. Fourth, and maybe most important, be patient. Take your time. There is a lot of good stuff out there so try to find that which is best for you. So what to look at first. You've had a couple good suggestions already-- J&R Music World and Paradigm dealers. Brands to look at would include Cambridge Audio, Rotel, and NAD in integrated amps. Denon (DRA-685 or 395), Yamaha (RX-797) or Harmon Kardon (HK3380 0r 3480) for receivers. Cambridge, Rotel, NAD, Denon and Yamaha all make good cd players so a wise move here is match brands with your integrated or receiver for simpler operation (one remote can control both). It's ok to mix'em though, I use a Harmon receiver and a Denon cd player with good results but I also have two remotes. One thing here, the HK cd players have had some reliability problems so I would choose another brand. Their receivers are good though. Finally, your speakers. There a probably a hundred choices but I'll list a few to check out and one real winner at the stores already mentioned.At J&R look at Polk Audio Rti6, Klipsch RB-61 and NHT(Now Hear This) Classic 3. These are very different speakers so when you listen to them just try to decide which type of sound you like best. A really good set of speakers are at the Paradigm dealers, ReferenceStudio Monitor 20, version 3. These are very solid speakers. You might listen to them first and use them as a point of comparison for the others. There are a lot of other good choices. Listen to as many as you can to determine your listening preferences.
    I'll suggest a sample system just to get you started-- Denon DRA-685 receiver, Denon DCM-380 cd player and Paradigm Reference Studio 20 speakers. Unless you have something that you will place the speakers on (like a shelf) you will need stands. You don't need anything fancy, just 24"-28" tall and solid construction (should be able to get something good for say $80-$150 at your store). For wire and connectors just use the connectors with the cd player for starters, they're ok and you don't need to get bogged down in the cable debates right now! In speaker wire use some basic 12 gauge wire and some screw type banana plugs which are the easiest (check out audioholics diy speaker cable).
    Lastly, remember that you are the most important part of your system and you are perfectly correct to make equipment decisions which seem right to you. Our opinions are only guidelines, yours are the ones which count. 'Trust your own ears' is advice you'll hear on this site and others, and it's the best advice. So take your time, do your homework, have fun shopping (don't get so serious you miss out on the fun!) and trust yourself.
    Boy I sure didn't intend to go on so long. Just get me started and see what happens! I hope this helps a little and enjoy your new system.
    Gary

With all the audio emporiums in NYC available to you a visit to one of the high end stores should be made. At a place like Singer you will get a chance to see and hear high end components. Once you hear some of the cost no object speakers and electronics you will know what music can sound like with a large budget. No offense to Paradigm and Energy owners but a pair of big Martin Logans, Magneplaners or Sound Labs sound a lot better than small boxes. Knowing what can be done with lots of money can give you a target to aim at. Getting as close to the expensive sound as you can with a reasonable budget is good start.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Horn lover
    You can get a great system for your money, even more if you buy used equipment. You need to decide if you want to go with a receiver, an integrated or separates. Do you want a turn it on and forget it system or do you like to tinker? Are you old enough to have a large record collection or are you a little younger and only have CDs? (Though you might be older and gave away your LPs and have moved to CDs! Or are younger and found the richness that vinyl provides ) Do you want to stay with Solid-state equipment or move up to tubes and all that comes with them?

Your ears have only started to listen into the LARGE room that is high-end audio. There are many flavors of sound out there and you need to listen to a lot of systems and do a fair amount of research if you want to spend your money wisely.

Please don’t get sidetracked by the audiophool garbage of “magic pebbles” or mega buck interconnects, or silver speaker wire, or ……. Just concentrate on the basics, look at decent quality products (get OUT of Best Buy!) decide on the level of quality you want to get involved with and take your time.

Forum Regular
    Thanks a lot guys I think I am going to star with a good intergrated amp
    and a pair of good speakers but I have a long way to go befor I decide on
    what to buy thankyou everybody for your insight

Thread Information