Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Feanor
  • 1 Post By hifitommy

Thread: Hello

Forum Regular

Hello

Hello everyone

I am just getting back into audio as far as actually having a system other than my computer.

I wish I hadn't but over the years I replaced my music formats with newer and better(?) formats as they came along.

I replaced all of my records with cassette tapes. I replaced my tapes with compact discs. Then I got a computer... After I ripped all of my music onto my computers hard drive I realized that I hardly ever listened to my stereo anymore - it was just easier to play something on the computer. So I sold my stereo system. I did keep my CD's but I took them all out of the cases and put them into 6 or 7 of those big CD cases and tossed them up on a shelf in the closet and forgot about them.

Life went on, marriage, kids etc. Last year I was going through an old box and found my Pink Floyd LP's that I had saved. My wife (a bit younger than me) thought it would be nice to get a record player so we could play them.

So we bought one. We bought one of those cheap $100 old fashioned looking things that incorporates a TT, radio, CD and cassette player. What a piece of junk! LOL I wasn't expecting the world out of something that costs $100 but I was expecting something I could at least listen too without cringing.

Anyway... I have the bug again and I am determined to have a stereo again that I can enjoy my music on weather it's my thin selection of LP's, my decent size CD collection or my much larger digital media. Unfortunately I am a man with a family now and I have somewhat limited funds for something that I don't HAVE TO HAVE. My wife seems perfectly happy with the current stereo and cannot see the benefits of having a better system. Plus a big ugly black stereo (her words) doesn't quite fit her vision of our family room.

So i have purchased a stereo receiver as well as a compact disc player cheaply at a local pawn shop as well as EBay. They are both JVC units from the early 90's. I was happy with it then so I think I will be happy with them now- at least I will be for the interim.

- Mike

Forum Regular
    This is the receiver I purchased. I used to own the JVC 507 so this one is a little bit more powerful.

Forum Regular
    And this is the CD player I purchased. I don't remember the model I had before but it was just a single tray player. I'm not sure if I will be using the magazine changer but I guess it could be a plus.

Welcome to AR Forums, Mike.

I hope you enjoy your return to the '90s: nothing wrong with that.

Did you rip your CDs to a lossless format or just to MP3? With DAC you can, of course, play you digital files through your new old receiver. I'll never go back to using an actual CD player.

Suspended
    Welcome to the forums. I'm sure the JVC is a step up for where you were but things have progressed a bit.

You may not need this much power but look at the Cambridge Audio SR-20. This has the phono stage for the turntable, built in DAC to play your computer files as well as an upgrade from the JVC disc player if it has a digital output.

What speakers do you have?

Welcome to AR. I think I have that same model JVC that I picked up in a garage sale for $20. I bought it for my kids.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Welcome to the forums. I'm sure the JVC is a step up for where you were but things have progressed a bit.

You may not need this much power but look at the Cambridge Audio SR-20. This has the phono stage for the turntable, built in DAC to play your computer files as well as an upgrade from the JVC disc player if it has a digital output.

Heehee, but the Cambridge looks so plain & simple compared to the JVC ...

(Looks can be deceiving.)

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Welcome to AR Forums, Mike.

I hope you enjoy your return to the '90s: nothing wrong with that.

Did you rip your CDs to a lossless format or just to MP3? With DAC you can, of course, play you digital files through your new old receiver. I'll never go back to using an actual CD player.
    They are all still in MP3 format. Thanks for the tip.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Heehee, but the Cambridge looks so plain & simple compared to the JVC ...

Aw
    (Looks can be deceiving.)
    i like the looks of this a lot. I'll have to check it out. One of the reasons I went with this JVC line back in the 90's was because they were the only manufacturer that didn't use a ton of big knobs everywhere. I like this simple, clean look.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Welcome to AR. I think I have that same model JVC that I picked up in a garage sale for $20. I bought it for my kids.
    Yeah, that's about what I paid. Strangely, a bit more for the CD player. Sadly I am falling victim to my own decision to live debt free (except for the mortgage) so I can hardly justify a larger purchase on something only I want at the moment. Hopefully that will change!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post

No speakers yet. This was the one thing I wanted to spend a little more time on. I'm leaning towards floor speakers again but I really don't have room for them in my condo. Plus I have a three year old son. I'm guessing floor speakers would be getting climbed on, sat on, pushed over, you name it. Those issues keep making me think I should just go with a some good bookshelf speakers or a 5.1 system.

Michael, if you are in the market for good budget speakers, then check out Elac. They were the talk of this summers Newport Beach Audio show and blew every one away. I have not heard them but they were designed by Andrew Jones, a famous speaker designer. They perform way above their price point.

speakers ? Welcome to ELAC Americas

The B6's and F5's would be the way to go. Eventually you should upgrade your CD player or even get a good DAC that has usb and digital optical or coax input and find a CD player or DVD player with an optical or digital coax output that you could run into the DAC. I would do this before upgrading the receiver. The amp or receiver will sound only as good as the music source.

Here is a place that you can buy some nice gear at discounted prices, like Marantz receivers and Turntables.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hallberg View Post
    i like the looks of this {Cambridge} a lot. I'll have to check it out. One of the reasons I went with this JVC line back in the 90's was because they were the only manufacturer that didn't use a ton of big knobs everywhere. I like this simple, clean look.
    Actually I agree about the JVC, both the receiver and CDP are quite elegant units, especially relative to some of the equipment that was being sold in the early '90s.

I note that the JVC receiver is a Dolby Pro-Logic multichannel whereas the Cambridge is strictly two-channel. Dolby Pro-Logic was the forerunner to Dolby Digital; it derived a surround effect from two-channel sources by exploiting phases relationships between the Left and Right channels.

Forum Regular
    Hun
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Michael, if you are in the market for good budget speakers, then check out Elac. They were the talk of this summers Newport Beach Audio show and blew every one away. I have not heard them but they were designed by Andrew Jones, a famous speaker designer. They perform way above their price point.

speakers ? Welcome to ELAC Americas

The B6's and F5's would be the way to go. Eventually you should upgrade your CD player or even get a good DAC that has usb and digital optical or coax input and find a CD player or DVD player with an optical or digital coax output that you could run into the DAC. I would do this before upgrading the receiver. The amp or receiver will sound only as good as the music source.

Here is a place that you can buy some nice gear at discounted prices, like Marantz receivers and Turntables.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!
    Thanks for the info!

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    the ELAC B5s were what i heard on stands at THE Show Newport in 2015 driven by a 100wpc bel canto amp. suffice it to say they were fantastic and had bass that wold allow you to delay the purchase of a subwoofer.

at $229 per pair, they are an outright bargain. i had a pair of andrew jones designed pioneer bs22s and they were $90 delivered ($130/pr list price). they punch way above their fighting weight but need the augmentation of a sub to be entirely satisfying. still, one could have lived without one until finances allowed.
    Michael Hallberg likes this.
    ...regards...tr

AR Newbie Registered Member Dragos Andreescu's Avatar

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hallberg View Post
    Hello everyone

I am just getting back into audio as far as actually having a system other than my computer.

I wish I hadn't but over the years I replaced my music formats with newer and better(?) formats as they came along.

I replaced all of my records with cassette tapes. I replaced my tapes with compact discs. Then I got a computer... After I ripped all of my music onto my computers hard drive I realized that I hardly ever listened to my stereo anymore - it was just easier to play something on the computer. So I sold my stereo system. I did keep my CD's but I took them all out of the cases and put them into 6 or 7 of those big CD cases and tossed them up on a shelf in the closet and forgot about them.

Life went on, marriage, kids etc. Last year I was going through an old box and found my Pink Floyd LP's that I had saved. My wife (a bit younger than me) thought it would be nice to get a record player so we could play them.

So we bought one. We bought one of those cheap $100 old fashioned looking things that incorporates a TT, radio, CD and cassette player. What a piece of junk! LOL I wasn't expecting the world out of something that costs $100 but I was expecting something I could at least listen too without cringing.

Anyway... I have the bug again and I am determined to have a stereo again that I can enjoy my music on weather it's my thin selection of LP's, my decent size CD collection or my much larger digital media. Unfortunately I am a man with a family now and I have somewhat limited funds for something that I don't HAVE TO HAVE. My wife seems perfectly happy with the current stereo and cannot see the benefits of having a better system. Plus a big ugly black stereo (her words) doesn't quite fit her vision of our family room.

So i have purchased a stereo receiver as well as a compact disc player cheaply at a local pawn shop as well as EBay. They are both JVC units from the early 90's. I was happy with it then so I think I will be happy with them now- at least I will be for the interim.

- Mike
    Sorry but I may post a different view on things, different than maybe what you want to hear. If you go through life doing what you're supposed to do and buying what you are supposed to buy, you know what that sounds like. Going for the tiniest pleasures, sometimes called hobbies, is a must. It looks to me you are suppressing to yourself a lot of that. Sometimes a bit of freedom won't hurt. Again, I apologize if this isn't what you wanted to hear or I offended in any way.
    As for the gear itself, I agree Cambridge is a strong possibility. They also make good CD players, so you can find one that fits into your budget. How about a turntable as a source? If you can put up with the hassle (some people look at it that way), 'tables can bring life in an old flame. If you want your hobby at the minimalistic level, watch out. Turntables can really run you down the slipery slope of audio fever. Improvements are huge but costly.
    I always liked those Linn Majiks for the CD's/Pre/Power/Tuner way back when. For a relatively modest sum you can have a taste of hi End. Plus you get to have an analog source as well, without the need for spinning discs.
    AN-CD3
    Kondo M7 derivative
    Beard P100 Signature
    Audio Innovations 200 Shishido Mod
    Yamaha NS-1000m Special Modification
    Shishido Silver& Copper wire
    Goldmund cones

Thread Information