Thread: Hello

Forum Regular

Hello

My first post on this site.

I look forward to listening and learning from others experiences.

I'm primarily vinyl based in my listening, I have some vintage inclinations in my equipment selections. For some reason speakers seem to be attracted to me - I have seven pairs and the number more than likely will go up (looking at a set of Genesis Technologies APM-1).
    I listening to almost all types of music except Italian opera and rap.

There you have it.

Squiddy

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Welcome to AudioReview. You have an impressive list of equipment. I also enjoy vinyl and tweaking my turntable. Years ago I purchased a Rega Planar 2 and often think of upgrading. I have modified it to higher levels of performance with many after market mods. I guess once I have taken it as far as I can it will be time for a new table.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    Hey squiddy, welcome to AR! Nice to have another vinyl head aboard. I think John Micheal may have Krell envy after seeing your equipment list. I too am seeking Genesis speakers. Tell me, what do you think of this, local ad, they are oak veneer and have been refoamed.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...QAdIdZ42369733

Also, check this out, I am going to hear it tommorrow, John Micheal, your opinion would be nice also on this,

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ166677557

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    Hey squiddy, welcome to AR! Nice to have another vinyl head aboard. I think John Micheal may have Krell envy after seeing your equipment list. I too am seeking Genesis speakers. Tell me, what do you think of this, local ad, they are oak veneer and have been refoamed.

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...QAdIdZ42369733

Also, check this out, I am going to hear it tommorrow, John Micheal, your opinion would be nice also on this,

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ166677557

I would love to find me a pair of these. I almost bought them many years ago. I was saving money when they went out of business.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen44.htm
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    I would love to find me a pair of these. I almost bought them many years ago. I was saving money when they went out of business.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/gen44.htm

He charges alot BR. You think he's on point for value? Personally, I'd rather buy the Humans than the EPI or Gen's from him. Great site though. What do you think of the M2 in that ad I posted? Would you pull the trigger?

Welcome squidboyw. Nice gear you got there. The Genesis APM-1's are nice speakers. I've only heard the big (IRS like) and little Genesis models but they both sounded quite good especially the big un's.

PC:
    Beware man!!! A TT like that Ariston is pretty much a Linn clone. It will put you on the Linn merry-go-round. They basically have an upgrade path that has no end. However, it is one damn fine TT. Last I heard John Atkinson was still using a Linn.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9

PC:
    Beware man!!! A TT like that Ariston is pretty much a Linn clone. It will put you on the Linn merry-go-round. They basically have an upgrade path that has no end. However, it is one damn fine TT. Last I heard John Atkinson was still using a Linn.
    Funny you say that, that's exactly the advice my local dealer gave me. Your stock just went up Joe. I heard the table today and it sounded fantastic, it's on consignment at a local vinyl shop. Bought some sleeves while I was there. Anyhow, I think you get a headbang my good man!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Regular
    Thank you all for the welcome!

poppachubby - I'm probably the last person you should be seeking advice concerning speakers - more pairs have followed me home than I should admit to.

Those Genesis speakers you pointed me to could be fine speakers. I like the fact that they have upgraded binding posts too. I'd at least go and listen to them and see if they seduce you.

Quote Originally Posted by squidboyw
    Thank you all for the welcome!

poppachubby - I'm probably the last person you should be seeking advice concerning speakers - more pairs have followed me home than I should admit to.

Those Genesis speakers you pointed me to could be fine speakers. I like the fact that they have upgraded binding posts too. I'd at least go and listen to them and see if they seduce you.
    Oh ok squid, I thought you were implying that speakers were your bag. Well hey, everyone's got that one guilty pleasure. Drag something home and wonder, "what do I need this for again?". As long as he doesn't sell the Gen's, and I'm sure he won't, I will snag them. I think most laymen just see a pair of old looking, wood finish speakers.

You check out that table too? I heard it today, sounded really nice. 500 is a steal for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    He charges alot BR. You think he's on point for value? Personally, I'd rather buy the Humans than the EPI or Gen's from him. Great site though. What do you think of the M2 in that ad I posted? Would you pull the trigger?

I never listened to that model of Genesis but I loved the sound of the 44's and 88's. It might be worth looking at the M's and see what condition the drivers are in. I really digged the Genesis sound.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    PC said

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ166677557[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but I have no previous experience with the Ariston tables so anything I contribute would just be guessing. The table that lived the longest in my system was a VPI 19 MK III w/ an ET2 tone arm. I moved from that to a Sota Cosmos w / SME V arm, and then to my current table. Previous to the VPI, there was an entry level Sony, a Pioneer PL45D, then a Transcriptor Skeleton, a little JVC linear tracker, Dual CS-5000 (I was playing a lot of 78 rpm disks)(still got it for that reason) and then a George Merrill modified AR-ES1.

I don't know what your current situation is concerning vinyl playback. From what little I have read concerning the Ariston table, it has the potential for fairly good playback. From my point of view, I am willing to tweak tables but would rather purchase performance as opposed to modding up to it, unless the price of the table was so ridiculously low, I couldn't pass it up (TT are somewhat like speakers are to me although I'm not so caught up in them).

Forum Regular
    Hello squidboyw, welcome to audio review Nice to see you are into Vinyl also, i got back into it when i got a better turntable

Thread Information