DIYaudiophilehack

hd/dvd compatibility and resources ????

I'm trying to mate a Sony HTIB HT-c800dp with a Philips HD monitor 64pp9751. Anyone know or can point me to info telling me whether progressive output from DVD can be used on the HD monitor either through standard or HD component inputs? I tried it though both inputs. Standard input was incompatible, HD input was off center and a touch skewed but had better overall picture quality than 480i through standard component input.

DIYaudiophilehack
    Meant to post this in HT forum. Mods able to move this for me?

Suspended
    For Progressive Scan you would have to use the component video outputs. I have a Denon DVD player and it addressed the possibility of the picture being off center, so I'm assuming this is a common thing. If you can't find the adjustments in your owners manual Sony usually provides a toll free number to call for customer support and they also have a place to email them at their website. Most of the DVD players I've seen have a Pro Scan button that has to be pushed or selected from a menu to tell the unit to use this feature. I also had to adjust the black level on my DVD player when going to Pro Scan.

The days of being able to operate your audio or video without reading the manual are gone. Sadly some manufacture's manuals aren't much help.

DIYaudiophilehack
    I had assumed that in order use progressive scan I had to employ the component outs on the DVD player. What I don't know is whether it can be used (beneficially) when plugged into the HD (1080i) component inputs on the television. There is a menu option for selecting progressive output on the DVD player. I've not found the same option on the television and don't know if the signal is compatible.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Toenail: my understanding is most HDTV's will take the 480p signal and upconvert it to the native resolution (1080i in this case).
    There may be a feature in the TV that selects the 2:3 flagging, in which case you should engage this for DVD's, otherwise, I don't think you'll have to do much for the TV settings, just the DVD settings.

DIYaudiophilehack
    I had thought the same thing about upconverting. My only rewservation is that the TV is from 4 years ago or so and I'll be damned if I can find any info in the owner's manual or specs that mentions upconversion. When I tried the 480p to 1080i connection there were some improvements but it was a sunny day and the glare on the screen made it impossible to really make a proper evaluation.

Suspended
    It's my understanding that the upscaling does not upscale digital signals and component video is digital. I have no doubt that the 480p from the DVD player is capatible with the HDTV but I believe only 480p will be displayed.

DIYaudiophilehack
    That would still be an improvement over the assumed 480i output that the DVD player uses unless switched to progressive output. If that's the case I think the Philips 64" needs some tuning. While jaggies were significantly reduced, there appeared to be focus issues on several areas of the screen. I was able to find options on the HD portion of the TV's menu for straightening and centering the image. One other issue was that half of the DVD collection used is in fullscreen format. I don't think theres a way to view through the HD inputs without squashing the fullscreen image into a 16;9 shape.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Mr. Peabody - maybe I'm way off here, but component video is the best analogue connection, it's not a digital connection. Firewire, HDMI, and DVI are the only digital interfaces, where the TV handles the digital signal instead of the DVD player or whatever...
    Also, I'm fairly certain that 480i and 480p are converted to a native resolution of 540p, 720p, or 1080i (Depending on the model)...my manual clearly states my TV does this, though picture quality isn't necessarily improved...

Thread Information