Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    I presume other people did like it. Otherwise, Ray Charles wouldn't have been so rich. You can't force someone to listen to a particular genre, so if someone started singing R&B, it must have been because he or she liked it. and as it happened other people liked it too. That's why there are different genres, because people have different tastes.

It's not because R&B appeared that Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Coltrane and others suddenly disappeared. Another genre just appeared.
    besides, what would have happened if no one else started making music after the legends like Sinatra and such? We can't listen to Frank Sinatra forever you know, new things are welcome, and if I don't like them, I don't listen to them. But if I do like them, then what's wrong with that?

And be proud that you are an audiophile, it's not a common hobby (not everyone can pay it too ), so it's normal that there are less audiophiles. In fact, I'm only 17, and I'm an audiophile, guess how many 17 year old people actually are audiophiles? And which of them actually have a decent s

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    There are 17 year old that drive $100,000 + cars. There are also 17 year old that own very expensive audio systems. I have seen parents buying their 17 year old children $10,000 watches, what else is new.

No one is forced to listen to anything , I would suggest that you do a little research , and you will find R&B artist in the 1950's had a very difficult time getting their music played on radio. Artist such as Ray Charles because of payola earned less money because of that. You should also remember R&B artist generally did not appear on television and
    none had TV programs, Nat King Cole was the first Black singer to have a TV program and he could not attract sponsors. His program was cancelled after one season , although he had excellent ratings.

Artist such as Frank Sinatra's music is played today. So is Cole's , Mathis . Como .and as well as popular artist of the 30's , 40's , 50's and 60's.
    Standards live on as does classical music.
    Music is learned , class plays a major role in what we listen to. The more affluent we are the more likely our parents played a role in the type of music we listen to.
    Generally lower class people are exposed to music by their peers. On the other hand classical , jazz , broadway etc , parents generally play a role in exposing their children to those forms of music.
    There are exceptions.

I have many hobbies audio is only one. I am not proud of being an audiophile, it is only another hobby. I enjoy music , that is why I am an audiophile. Audio equipment enabled me to listen better because of the equipment I used.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    There are 17 year old that drive $100,000 + cars. There are also 17 year old that own very expensive audio systems. I have seen parents buying their 17 year old children $10,000 watches, what else is new.
    well, not here in belgium... you have to be at least 18 to drive a car, and my parents didn't give me a 10k watch, I paid my watch (a Swatch irony), myself. As I also payed my audio system myself.

Artist such as Frank Sinatra's music is played today. So is Cole's , Mathis . Como .and as well as popular artist of the 30's , 40's , 50's and 60's.
    Standards live on as does classical music.
    as well as Ray Charles is played on the radio today...

and other R&B artists.

and pink floyd lives on too.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Nope, but I'll keep an eye and an ear out. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Go to you tube...she is great! I think Krall sorta took on her style. She is more polished on the piano than Krall. She's Mexican and is married to Randy Brecker, the brother of the late Micheal Brecker.

frenchmon

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    class plays a major role in what we listen to. The more affluent we are the more likely our parents played a role in the type of music we listen to.
    Generally lower class people are exposed to music by their peers. On the other hand classical , jazz , broadway etc , parents generally play a role in exposing their children to those forms of music.
    Generally, the affluent have no idea what the 'lower class' listen to. Generally the affluent avoid the 'lower class'. Am I to understand from your comment that you believe, generally, that the 'lower class' can't afford parents?

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Generally, the affluent have no idea what the 'lower class' listen to. Generally the affluent avoid the 'lower class'. Am I to understand from your comment that you believe, generally, that the 'lower class' can't afford parents?

I am with you noddinOff. Melvins comments were the most offensive I have ever read. I grew up in a low income household but we were not "lower class". Education was stressed and the sacrifice was made so we could attend private schools. We were taught manners and so were comfortable in many social situations. We were exposed to music both in the home and at school. As the success of the family improved we never forgot from where we came.

How can you generalize "lower class"? I now hold you in such utter contempt. I would go on but I must moderate myself.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I understand "swatch" is short for "Swiss made Watch"

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    I paid my watch (a Swatch irony), myself. As I also payed my audio system myself.
    Aren't you glad they weren't made in Croatia?

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    Am I to understand from your comment that you believe, generally, that the 'lower class' can't afford parents?
    From his postings here, I tend to believe that the lower class has only one parent, a female.

Nah, he's not an elitist, is he?

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Nah, he's not an elitist, is he?
    At first blush maybe. But stop and think for a moment. He's rockin' fifty year old JBLs. Sure they go for 12 grand on audiogon, but not when he originally bought them. Jump to cars, since he is fond of that analogy. You can get 1985 Cameros on Ebay for 3 grand. In 30 more years they sure as hell will go for alot more than that! But that doesn't mean they are actually worth it with their 200hp d!ckcheese motors. Furthermore, he's rockin a USED! BMW - he says its better than the current version. Okay... sure buddy... whatever helps you sleep at night.

He's worse than an elitist... he's a posuer. He's an aspiring elitist that can't really run with the big boys. He talks sh!t about the Corvette, but drives a 15 year old BMW. I've driven the C6, and the BMW 7-5-3 series, and the Audi A8-6-4, and the various Diamlers. Helps to live in Detroit, where everyone is actually in the car biz and not just talking about what they saw in their dealer show rooms, Although not many people I know can swing the ZR1. Mel reveals that his ignorance runs the gamut of many hobbies when he compare the Corvette C6 to sports sedans and saloon cars.

I have no problem with him driving an old car. I'm saving up for an old Wrangler myself. But, to declare that you are driving your old, tired piece of crap because it is better than everything else just stinks of desperation. The same with clinging to your fifty year old speakers that were initially designed for mono reproduction. Visit a stereo shop already...jeez.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Wow. I love it when Slumpy gets on a roll...

I'm sure Melvin will be indignant with the state of modern manners and yet surprised at the same time, since young people have no reading comprehension.

Mutant from table 9
    Oh, and the best part about that 12 feet advice is that he offered it to a guy with Paradigm Studio 20s, I speaker he clearly has never heard. Has anyone seen or does anyone have their 20s set up 12 feet apart. I've never seen it! Twelve feet really is quite a distance.

One of the nicest showroom experiences I ever had was with the 20s, an Arcam integrated and Music Hall turntable, but apparently I was had, because they were only 6 or 7 feet apart at best.

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    . One of the nicest showroom experiences I ever had was with the 20s, an Arcam integrated and Music Hall turntable, but apparently I was had, because they were only 6 or 7 feet apart at best.
    Well, that's to be expected...folly of youth and all that.

Get regular oil changes.

Mutant from table 9

Finally, Mel, this is why you can't be so shy about the use of words like "douchebag." If you have truely seen parents buying thier children 10k watches, you could have done something about it if only you had the word "douchebag" in your arsenal. It would have been the perfect time to deploy it! I don't know who the bigger douchebag is in that scenario, the parent for buying it, the kid for wanting it or those witnessing the scene for not declaring the parent and the child to be douchebags. What 17 year old kid wants a 10k watch!?! When I was 17 I needed only 3 things - gas in my stationwagon and a mix tape in my Clarion... so I could get the third thing. Snootchies!

Maybe Mel's right times have changed if a 17 year old needs for than that.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Well, that's to be expected...folly of youth and all that.

Get regular oil changes.

Sorry... that is what happens when your on a roll. I switched from the car showroom to the stereo showroom. If I found a showroom that carried Arcam and Chevy... I'd leave my wife.

There are seventeen year-olds in my neighborhood with expensive 10k watches and those newer, less functional Bimmers...and they all particpate in activities decried by our protagonist as anti-ethical.

Suspended
    Like it are{or} not your son will be effected by his environment. You are effected by poor taste and bad manners. If you live in a large American city it is unsafe to walk the streets at night. if your son attends a public are{or} private school today he is exposed to bad lang{u}age ,
    sex , drugs , etc.

The poor behaviour of others effect you. America has the second largest prison population in the world , paid for by you a tax payer. When a car is stolen , you pay for it with higher insurance rates. When someone steals a loaf of bread in a food market are{or} steals a shirt in a department you pay for it with higher prices. The same when a burglary
    occurs you pay for it with higher home insurance rates.

You may not agree with censorship , we use it to protect others , would you not want some censorship in the school your son attends ? Are{Or} should the students speak what they choose. Maybe your son doesn't attend a public are{or} private school , are{or} attend movies , are{or} use a computer , are{or} read books and magazines. If your son goes put to play he is at risk , are{or} maybe he doesn't go out to play.

You can ignore all that , but the world will not ignore you ! It's sad but that's the world we all live in.
    I wonder if the people killed and injured at the World Trade center felt the way you do ?
    What happen there changed all Americans lives , like it are{or} not.
    We are{ } a nation and we are dependent on each other.
    Thomas Jefferson wrote " If men were angels we would need no laws , but men are not angels" We need censorship.
    Get the picture? Weird huh?

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Get the picture? Weird huh?
    No, not really. He's so OLD, that the word "or" hadn't been invented yet. In fact "ARE" is a slightly more superior word than "OR". It has 3 letters instead of 2. This very fact proves that "ARE" is more better than "OR".

3 letters also cost more than 2. Why go cheap and only use 2 letters. Only low class people would consider paying less, and only getting 2 letters. When Melvin was a lad, his father insisted on only using words 3 letters or more. Less they appear to be part of the lower eschelon of society.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    No, not really. He's so OLD, that the word "or" hadn't been invented yet. In fact "ARE" is a slightly more superior word than "OR". It has 3 letters instead of 2. This very fact proves that "ARE" is more better than "OR".

3 letters also cost more than 2. Why go cheap and only use 2 letters. Only low class people would consider paying less, and only getting 2 letters. When Melvin was a lad, his father insisted on only using words 3 letters or more. Less they appear to be part of the lower eschelon of society.
    Would that make 4 letter words better?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Would that make 4 letter words better?
    Well that depends. In the world of Alphophiles, yes. 4 letter words are superior to those of 3 letter words.

It gets a bit tricky over 5 letters. At this point, only the most talented and intelligent linguists should be using those types of words. In the wrong company, using 5 or more letter words can lead to an inflated ego, or worse. A sense of superiority over those that can only use the most basic of words (3 or less letters).

And don't get me started on those that use punctuation, thats an entire subset of the "letter snobs" that profess to hold more power over people than the "alphabet snobs".

According to the punctuation crowd, nothing happens without them. I tend to agree, but then again, why not. After all without a period, your just another run on sentance...(or pregnant depending upon the topic)
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Suspended
    Nothing burns me up more than sentences without periods!

Not only should those of us from the lower class minimize the number of letters we should also avoid using polysyllabic words.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Nothing burns me up more than sentences without periods!

Then do not try to read James Joyce's "Ulysses".
    JohnMichael
    Digital
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Not only should those of us from the lower class minimize the number of letters we should also avoid using polysyllabic words.
    Thats a big word. I agree, those in the lower class should avoid them. Although the always popular "double entendre" is more than welcome. Because even if you don't have money, you can still...use big words?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

U Guys R 2 Funny
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Oh, and the best part about that 12 feet advice is that he offered it to a guy with Paradigm Studio 20s, I speaker he clearly has never heard. Has anyone seen or does anyone have their 20s set up 12 feet apart. I've never seen it! Twelve feet really is quite a distance.

One of the nicest showroom experiences I ever had was with the 20s, an Arcam integrated and Music Hall turntable, but apparently I was had, because they were only 6 or 7 feet apart at best.
    Electronic World reprint , George L. Augspurger Technical advisor for James L. Lansing speaker Corp. " To achieve maximum stereo effect it is suggested that the distance between stereo speakers should be no less than twelve feet , . therefor achieving maximum stereo imaging" . "This will allow the operation of various types of devices used professionally and in homes. "

Mr. Augspurger was referring to JBL's Horn loaded speaker systems. Which at the time was some of the finest speaker systems in the world.
    The JBL Hartsfield was pictured on the front page of life magazine.
    Mr. Augspurger was a noted engineer and audio scientist of his era.

You may find Hartsfields on Ebay since they weight in at about 280 lbs each the transportation cost alone is very expensive.
    12 feet was my suggestion , if you disagree , that is your right , why make an issue of it.
    At the time some audio engineers suggested 8 feet , it all depends on the type of speaker system used. It was only a suggestion.

Electronic World reprint , George L. Augspurger Technical advisor for James L. Lansing speaker Corp. " To achieve maximum stereo effect it is suggested that the distance between stereo speakers should be no less than twelve feet , . therefor achieving maximum stereo imaging" . "This will allow the operation of various types of devices used professionally and in homes. "

Mr. Augspurger was referring to JBL's Horn loaded speaker systems. Which at the time was some of the finest speaker systems in the world.
    The JBL Hartsfield was pictured on the front page of life magazine.
    Mr. Augspurger was a noted engineer and audio scientist of his era.

You may find Hartsfields on Ebay since they weight in at about 280 lbs each the transportation cost alone is very expensive.
    12 feet was my suggestion , if you disagree , that is your right , why make an issue of it.
    At the time some audio engineers suggested 8 feet , it all depends on the type of speaker system used. It was only a suggestion.
    I'm gonna agree with Melvin on this one. I had my speakers 11'4" apart, and it was awful. I moved them back 8" and now, its like I have new equipment.

Who would have thought 8" would be such a big deal?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information