Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Michael Jackson.... regardless of the negative press he has received in the last twenty years for his 'skin condition' and fondness of sleepovers with small children... I still regard him as the greatest pop singer of all time.... He is/was both a great vocalist and a master stage performer... very few artists today are good at both.... I suspect (haven't checked the statistics though) that he outsold Sinatra....
    Sinatra only had a few number one selling recordings . Sinatra successfully performed in movies , radio , television , clubs and on the stage.
    Sinatra also had his problems with the press. I would think there are popular artist of today that that can perform on both stage and recordings.

It would be difficult to compare the two as they are from different generations.
    Sinatra's career in movies and recordings spanned several decades , from the 40's through the 90's. One of the longest careers in entertainment. 50 years is a long time in show business , taste change.
    I respect your opinion.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

We got along fine before you came and we'll do fine after you're gone.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin walker
    Your analysis of me is becoming a bore. You can do better than that !
    I don't see anyone else complaining. I'm just calling you on your verifiable BS. And, it's fun!

if one is not willing to pay the price for an item , than that item is not for them.
    Granted. I just question the need for such items and what posses one to purchase them and then brag about them. Deep rooted feelings of a lack of self-worth perhaps?.

That is why there are items to meet all interest.
    ...and you really expect us to believe that a human wrote this? gimme a break, meltronic 2000

Why name call ?
    Whose name calling? You started this long ago. I'm just categorizing you based on your posts.

no one forces anyone to buy anything. There are those who can afford and will except nothing but the best and are willing to pay for it. And there are those who have no interest in the the best and has no interest in paying for it.
    That depends on what ones definition of "the best" is, now doesn't it? An overpriced watch that doesn't keep time as accurately as one that costs about 1% of it's price is "the best" Actually, I consider that a vulgar display of wealth intended to imply an air of superiority. Many see it as a waste of money.

We should respect both
    .. and this from a man who, fifty years later, still bemoans the fact that "hi-fi" went downhill as soon as it became affordable to the masses?

Gimme a break, meltronic2000. If you don't like my running commentary, ignore them.

Look at me as a Greek chorus, here for the audience to enjoy...

You don't know me, you have no knowledge of what class I am
    Oh, yes I do. We all do. It's you that seem to be confused.

Can you post one opinion without the personal attacts ?
    I tried that way back when but this is more fun and productive. I enjoy the chance to exercise my sardonic writing skills and it's rare that such a perfect target presents itself.

If you read back you'll notice that at one time I actually tried to engage you in a discussion about audio. But when asked direct questions you ran and hide behind bravado and bluster, and bullshiite, That's when I started this approach, remember?

So, about Avery Fisher Hall in Washington?
    Last edited by markw; 01-24-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Sinatra only had a few number one selling recordings . Sinatra successfully performed in movies , radio , television , clubs and on the stage.
    Sinatra also had his problems with the press. I would think there are popular artist of today that that can perform on both stage and recordings.

It would be difficult to compare the two as they are from different generations.
    Sinatra's career in movies and recordings spanned several decades , from the 40's through the 90's. One of the longest careers in entertainment. 50 years is a long time in show business , taste change.
    I respect your opinion.
    Movies? I thought we were talking about audio.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Even though she doesn't fit into my style of music, MARIAH CAREY has a lot of singing talent. This seems to be what you are interested in. All the "greats" you brought up were singers. I am more into the music itself. But that doesn't mean that I can't spot singing talent when I see (or hear) it. I bet she could sing circles around Bing or any of the other singers you think so highly of.

As far as speakers & equipment? How long of a list are you looking for? There are hundreds of great brands out there today. Probably thousands of crap brands too. Back in your day, there were a few greats and a few not so greats. These days there is more to choose from. This can get the average Joe in trouble if they don't research. But research is much easier to do these days. No more depending on word of mouth or magazines. The internet is a wonderful tool. With a little work, Joe can bring home a fantastic system for the same number of loafs of bread it would cost to put together a system back in your heydays. Many others here have given you examples. Have you looked into any of them?
    The 1970 addition of the High Fi Stereo Review Directory listed over a 1000 audio manufacturers. There is a global market today. The problem with the Internet is that it provides quick answers, much as a calculator. Easy is not always better.
    Incomes have not kept up with inflation. Joe has found himself falling further behind in
    his buying power. The gap between the haves and have not's is growing in America.
    The middle class has been losing ground.

There are great speakers today , as it was 38 years ago. The difference is affordability.
    A quality men's suit today is 10 times more costly than it was 38 years ago. few Joe's have seen their incomes increase by ten times. That applies also to housing , transportation , and especially high end goods and services.

The issue is not so much whether there has been improvements in audio , and there has , but can the average Joe afford it ?

Suspended

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    We got along fine before you came and we'll do fine after you're gone.

I don't see anyone else complaining. I'm just calling you on your verifiable BS. And, it's fun!

Granted. I just question the need for such items and what posses one to purchase them.

...and you really expect us to believe that a human wrote this? gimme a break, meltronic 2000

Whose name calling? You started this long ago. I'm just categorizing you based on your posts.

That depends on what ones definition of "the best" is, now doesn't it? An overpriced watch that doesn't keep time as accurately as one that costs about 1% of it's price is "the best" Actually, I consider that a vulgar display of wealth intended to imply an air of superiority. Many see it as a waste of money.

.. and this from a man who, fifty years later, still bemoans the fact that "hi-fi" went downhill as soon as it became affordable to the masses?

Gimme a break, meltronic2000. If you don't like my running commentary, ignore them.

Look at me as a Greek chorus, here for the audience to enjoy...

Oh, yes I do. We all do. It's you that seem to be confused.

I tried that way back when but this is more fun and productive. I enjoy the chance to exercise my sardonic writing skills and it's rare that such a perfect target presents itself.

If you read back you'll notice that at one time I actually tried to engage you in a discussion about audio. But when asked direct questions you ran and hide behind bravado and bluster, and bullshiite, That's when I started this approach, remember?

So, about Avery Fisher Hall in Washington?
    That kind of language , many forums would dismiss you. Your disrespect for yourself and others is unbelievable. There appears to be no monitors on this site. That's sad.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    Movies? I thought we were talking about audio.
    The forum member , gave his opinion to whom he thought was the top popular singer , I responded to his post. He also posed a question concerning Sinatra.

There is a need for a moderator , the language on this site is terrible. Personal attacks are the norm it appears. There needs to be some controls.

The 1970 addition of the High Fi Stereo Review Directory listed over a 1000 audio manufacturers. There is a global market today. The problem with the Internet is that it provides quick answers, much as a calculator. Easy is not always better.
    Incomes have not kept up with inflation. Joe has found himself falling further behind in
    his buying power. The gap between the haves and have not's is growing in America.
    The middle class has been losing ground.

There are great speakers today , as it was 38 years ago. The difference is affordability.
    A quality men's suit today is 10 times more costly than it was 38 years ago. few Joe's have seen their incomes increase by ten times. That applies also to housing , transportation , and especially high end goods and services.

The issue is not so much whether there has been improvements in audio , and there has , but can the average Joe afford it ?
    In 1967 my dad bought a house for $16,000. (It's hard to buy a car for that now) That house in now worth more than the house I had built for $255,000 in 2006. Inflation hits everywhere. Not just audio.
    It seems to me that I see a lot more high end cars & SUV's on the roadways now than ever. There are quite a few Joes out there making ends meet. Most of these Joes are more into Bose, but that's how it goes. (sorry, was on a roll) Plenty of them could afford hi-end if that's what they wanted.

The internet may be fast, but it's not always inaccurate. You have to know where to look and how. I use it every day to supply the company I'm at. So far, so good.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

The problem with the Internet is that it provides quick answers, much as a calculator. Easy is not always better.

So, an answer to a mathematical equation is better if it is done by hand???
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

The forum member , gave his opinion to whom he thought was the top popular singer , I responded to his post. He also posed a question concerning Sinatra.

There is a need for a moderator , the language on this site is terrible. Personal attacks are the norm it appears. There needs to be some controls.
    You seem to be holding your own as far as that goes.

Language? What language?

Again, avoiding thr Avery Fisher Hall issue with sleight of hand tricks.

Face it, it ain't workin. mel.

That kind of language , many forums would dismiss you..
    Does the word "BS", or "bullshiite" offend you? To effen' bad. quit throwing it around and it won't be thrown in your face.

Now, what other language offended your delicate, aristocratic, sensiblities? ..or was it the stinging truth in the words I wrote?

Your disrespect for yourself and others is unbelievable.
    I have no problems with self respect or respecting othere here. It's just you I don't respect.

There appears to be no monitors on this site. That's sad.
    Oh, there are. In fact, you've interacted with some of them. They aren't exactly fans of yours, either.

So, about Avery Fisher Hall in Washington? Put up or deal with the consequences of me haunting your every post. I'm having fun. Aren't you?

Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin Da Blues
    So, an answer to a mathematical equation is better if it is done by hand???
    He's been doing us by hand ever since he arrived here.

Mutant from table 9
    I'm going to suggest again that Mel is the most recent incarnation of Lexipanaskies. Mel showed up the day after Lexipanaskies was suspended. And, unless I'm mistaken, Lexipanaskies hasn't shown up again even though he has been unsuspended. I just can't get past that coincidence. I know JM poo-pooed that suggestion before because the checked the IP addy. But, IP addys can be changed.

The "character" of Mel is growing a bit two dimensional as these threads go one. He keeps going back to the same tired recitations of foppish men's clothing, watches, cars, and worn-out easy listening artists. It is a brilliant character sketch, but doesn't really seem to be evolving.

Besides, he really lost me when he used the phrase "valuable internet time" without any sense of irony. That is an oxymoron if I ever heard one.. along with "Men's Vogue".

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    I'm going to suggest again that Mel is the most recent incarnation of Lexipanaskies. Mel showed up the day after Lexipanaskies was suspended. And, unless I'm mistaken, Lexipanaskies hasn't shown up again even though he has been unsuspended. I just can't get past that coincidence. I know JM poo-pooed that suggestion before because the checked the IP addy. But, IP addys can be changed.
    IP adds don't mean much... Take me for example (I'm not a troll, an ogre possibly but definitely not a troll)... now last time I was on this site around a year ago I had a different username, had a different computer and lived in another country... So I don't think comparing IP's would be useful in identifying me... (though there are other ways)...

Anyway, I'm still not sure whether Melvin is just a somewhat opinionated elder gentleman who's gotten off to a bad start on this site or an actual troll... but since I haven't had been attacked by him, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar

Mel this site has three moderators and you have had two of us responding to you. I am one and in fact have been personally attacked by you. I am not going to hold members more accountable than you hold yourself. Believe me I have had to fight back my desire to ban you.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    Mel this site has three moderators and you have had two of us responding to you. I am one and in fact have been personally attacked by you. I am not going to hold members more accountable than you hold yourself. Believe me I have had to fight back my desire to ban you.
    JM, maybe Mel just needs a good spanking.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    JM, maybe Mel just needs a good spanking.

At his age a good spanking would mean a hip fracture.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

At his age a good spanking would mean a hip fracture.
    Not likely. Between the depends, and the colostomy bag, you'd really have to lay it on to break the hip.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I doubt that he is SVI's type.

Suspended
    Oh jeeez... not another colostomy bag pusher. :vomit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Oh jeeez... not another colostomy bag pusher. :vomit:
    You must live in a REALLY big town. Here in my little burg we just have to contend with run of the mill drug pushers, and ugly prostitutes. What do "off market" colostomy bags go for anyway?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I will add that I have deleted one post that was a direct attack on Melvin. I do not, however, have an issue with MarkW or anyone else (like myself) asking him to substantiate what has been presented to be a statement of fact. I'm still curious as to which speaker(s) Melvin has heard in the $50k range that are comparable to an AR-3a. I'll be perfectly honest. I suspect that he has not heard any current high end speaker or he would not have made such a statement. It is evident that he throws around dollar figures unsupported by facts.

rw

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Isn't Mel just a re-incarnation of that William J Dansworth III or what ever that guy's name was?

...can I be more specific?...no.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    I will add that I have deleted one post that was a direct attack on Melvin.
    Yeah, and do I even get just one reddie for all my troubles? Nooooooooooooooa!

i just read this WHOLE thread and by the end of it i have completely forgotten what it is about. i had to read the title to find out.
    and may i say i am really disappointed in you all. 273 posts and not one mention of modern dance music.

do i have to educate all you old people in modern music haha

cheers: dazza

No mention either of ...

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    i just read this WHOLE thread and by the end of it i have completely forgotten what it is about. i had to read the title to find out.
    and may i say i am really disappointed in you all. 273 posts and not one mention of modern dance music.

do i have to educate all you old people in modern music haha

cheers: dazza
    Contemporary classial, especially atonal, music was of course not mentioned. In fact, when I occassionally mention it, I can just see the eyes roll ...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information