Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Regular
    i know where you are trying to go...

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    What were you listening to pre-Beatle?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    When you dance with somebody to STH,you said to yourself is this (damn) song going to finish or what
    I seem to remember wishing for a double length - extended version once or twice!
    I guess it depends on who you're dancing with.

nightflier
    If we're going to include bands that had an influence on the music in one way or another, whether they pushed "rock" into this or that direction, then here's a few that should be inluded:

Motley Crew
    Fleetwood Mac
    Billy Idol
    REM
    Kiss
    Van Halen
    Green Day
    The Ramones
    Toto
    Iron Maiden
    Queen
    The Clash
    The Rolling Stones
    Guns & Roses
    Supertramp
    Neil Young
    Yes
    Sabbath/Ozzy
    Cream
    INXS
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Cult
    Blue Oyster Cult
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Greatful Dead
    Pearl Jam
    Blondie
    The Scorpions
    Jethro Tull
    Pat Benetar
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doobies
    Judas Priest
    The Police

(not all of these will be to everyone's liking)

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    i know where you are trying to go...
    I'm just asking. I remember.
    Elvis and Mowtown day in and day out on am radio. Then the Beatles made it all fresh.
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    If we're going to include bands that had an influence on the music in one way or another, whether they pushed "rock" into this or that direction, then here's a few that should be inluded:

Motley Crew
    Fleetwood Mac
    Billy Idol
    REM
    Kiss
    Van Halen
    Green Day
    The Ramones
    Toto
    Iron Maiden
    Queen
    The Clash
    The Rolling Stones
    Guns & Roses
    Supertramp
    Neil Young
    Yes
    Sabbath/Ozzy
    Cream
    INXS
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Cult
    Blue Oyster Cult
    The Red Hot Chili Peppers
    The Greatful Dead
    Pearl Jam
    Blondie
    The Scorpions
    Jethro Tull
    Pat Benetar
    Bruce Springsteen
    The Doobies
    Judas Priest
    The Police

(not all of these will be to everyone's liking)
    Really,when you say influence,the only ones i see,imo are The Ramones,Neil Young and the Stones because they started when it started.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Pop? or rock?
    LMFAO!!!!!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Well, i'm not afraid to say I am one of those who think the BEatles are overrated. I just dont get it
    Exactly that. Well put.
    Me personally I think the Beatles SUCK and don't exaclty understand what's so great about them. Yeah they put out alot of Pop songs but if you like to listen to them for how much they changed/influenced music then by all means reminense on the good ol' days. They definitely would not be in my top 10 or even top 100 greatest rock albums.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    PAT P, while the bands you mentioned fall into the 'rock' genre they are not nearly as important to the rock n' roll movement, which is the entire reason that I began this thread. We are talking about influential bands, not bands that were influenced. And for the record...I did put Nirvana on my list. For the second record....Metallica is considered Heavy Metal, not necessarily rock...at least at one point in time they were before they became a pseudo-country rock metal band.
    So what you're saying is that in order to be a great rock n' roll band you have to influence other bands? Or that you're not great unless someone imitates your style?
    Michael Jordan will probably never have anyone come close to imitating him so does that not make him great? Now if somebody could surpass his greatness then that would make MJ less great. Correct? Which seems to be the case with music. Now I confess that I don't believe anyone could surpass MJ but if that does happen and it looks like it might then I will graciously admit that MJ is not the greatest.

I used to think that Van Halen, Motley Crue and Def Leopard were the greatest but as time goes on I realize that they were only great for their time. There is one and only one exception of that being Led Zeppelin maybe a distant second to that being Ozzy Osbourne when he played with the late Zak Wilde, excuse the misspelleing.

IMO Led Zeppelin had a chemistry along with raw talent that is still to this day unmatched.
    But as far as how much or who they influenced? Well, Hell I don't really give a crap to be honest with you! And neither should you.

Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    Exactly that. Well put.
    Me personally I think the Beatles SUCK and don't exaclty understand what's so great about them. Yeah they put out alot of Pop songs but if you like to listen to them for how much they changed/influenced music then by all means reminense on the good ol' days. They definitely would not be in my top 10 or even top 100 greatest rock albums.
    Sorry you miss it. John Lennon was a genius. Sometime when your bored, borrow some beatles and just listen to the JL songs. Hard to find a successful band from maybe mid 90's back that wont have anything but the highest praise for them. They know what they are talking about but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    Look & Listen

Suspended
    Some great albums listed here. It's a kick to see others know about bands like Black Oak Arkansas and John Baldry. Also that anyone besides me remembers Ten Years After or Nazareth.

Like them or not we have to recognize the Beatles as being one of the greatest bands, John did say they were more popular than Jesus. I'm more of a Stones fan myself.

Metallica and Dave Mustaine have to be given props for pioneering their thrashing guitar sound that launched a whole new direction for Metal. Also going way back we have to give it up for Judas Priest. There are several of their albums I like all the way through, Stained Class, Unleashed in the East, British Steel. You also have to give it up for Limp Bizkit and those bands that led a short lived music marriage of rock & rap. Some one said the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, definitely. Also, already mentioned, I remember the first Van Halen album coming out, that was definitely an influence. Man, that whole Seattle Grunge thing really took rock a new direction. It practically snuffed out any other rock for awhile. I don't know of any total good albums but all those synth bands of the 80's made a splash. MTV in the 80's was a mix of synth pop bands and Big Hair bands. I'm also surprised some of you old farts didn't say the Grateful Dead. I wasn't into them but they definitely have a place in rock history and influence. I'd have to say ELP has a spot because several bands tried to do their sound.

One must also recognize Lynyrd Skynyrd, let's say Pronounced. I don't know if they were the pioneers of that southern fried sound but they definitely took it to the highest level and many tried to immulate and still do try actually. Yes, there were the Allman Brothers but that's apples and oranges, the Allman Brothers are in a class of their own.

Look, Greatest Hits and Best of don't count as albums. Talking about your generation gap.

Thoughts on Tool, the jury is out on how influenchel they will be but that 2nd album, I forget the name, the one with Stink Fist, has to be the angriest album I've ever heard. It does rock. Their drummer also has the most buzz going of any drummer since Neil Peart.

I guess there are bands that get lucky enough to have a distinct sound but still dont' seem to make the river change course. Take Blues Traveler for instance, pretty good band, arguably unique sound, but won't go down in rock history as influencing much. Of course, the thread did say "our favorite rock albums" and then later was defined as having to be influenchel. Some of my favorite rock albums are barely known or forgotten like Triumph - Allied Forces. I love Triumph and have almost every album. Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever. Montrose - Rock the Nation. None of these would probably make a count down list but they are albums I can put on, crank up and listen to without skipping a track.

** #1 one band in the world of all time and space **

SPINALTAP !!!!

Forum Regular
    WOW! No one mentioned Slayer. So I guess I will since none of you will. I bet alot of you have never even heard of Slayer? A band that truely rocks and will probably never get any recognition whatsoever. But none the less a band that surely influenced my choice in music.

Forum Regular
    Sorry you miss it. John Lennon was a genius. Sometime when your bored, borrow some beatles and just listen to the JL songs. Hard to find a successful band from maybe mid 90's back that wont have anything but the highest praise for them. They know what they are talking about but hey, different strokes for different folks.
    Sorry, I didn't miss it. I am a "flowerchild" and I grew up listening to all those bands you ol' geezers listed like Jethro Tull, Cream, Black Sabbath, Fleetwood Mac and of course the Beatles.

I think the Beatles were a successful ad campaign to make the public more passive so that the governments could escalate their war in Vietnam and used to overshadow social issues of the day. But that's just my opinion. "War Pigs" by Ozzy. "Dogs of War" by Pink Floyd. It seemed like the music of that era was IMO music of an intellectual dream like state with widespread drug usage and an openness about sexuality or in other words a state of nirvana which ironically was the name of a very un-nirvana like group which gravitated the minds and feelings of the younger generation awhile back. How ironic that some music has turned a complete 180 degrees. Maybe musical preference is based on one's social or economic or demographic background or maybe it's based on one's age or ethnicity, probably a combination of all these things.

Well I think I've gone off on a tangent here.

I think your thinking to much.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Opinions are never wrong

Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    I think the Beatles were a successful ad campaign to make the public more passive so that the governments could escalate their war in Vietnam and used to overshadow social issues of the day. But that's just my opinion.
    But oh my God, this is one of the most hilarious opinions I've ever heard about the Beatles! If you're serious, please don't take offense because I mean none even though I'm not sure how to word my response without it seeming offensive.

As you said, different strokes for different folks. I have no problem with what music you like or don't like - or what you think is influential or not... but you have satisfied my humor needs for the day. It doesn't get funnier than this! It doesn't sound like a theory that a "flower child" would have but rather something my dad who was born in the 1930's might espouse. Anyway, one man's humor is another man's honest conspiracy theory so forgive my laughter. Hey, people laugh at me because I'm in my 40's and I like Slipknot! There's just something about intelligent people that go insane making music that appeals to me!

On a Slayer note, I live in a small BS town just north of Indy and a local music shop announced that Kerry King was going to be in the shop on a particular saturday about 3- months ago. My kids almost gave up our annual Florida trip to go and I have to admit, it was tempting for me, too. I've still never found out what possessed Kerry to come to a town of 14,000 people but it's nice to have two pre-teenage boys to keep me "hip" to bands that I might have otherwise missed.

Linear Guy

Its mostly pop to me

Pop? or rock?
    Good question. I grew up on rock, I love it and I guess I always considered rock to be a form of Popular music. I consider any mass marketed formula music genre to be pop. Not to say there haven't been extremely well crafted music in Pop. ( Sinatra, Steely Dan, Grateful Dead, Beatles ) . These are artisans who were dedicated to good work. Maybe that's why some people don't like the beatles. They sounded a bit too much like pop stars, especially at the beginning. I don't know. When I was a kid I thought the Beatles were a bit too stiff. I gravitated towards the bands that had an edge like the stones and kinks. ( 65-66) When rock got heavier (67-68), thats where I stayed. But after I started listening to Jazz and saw how Jazz was nearly completely displaced by assembly line rock, I guess that's when I grouped it all rock together in my own mind as pop. I don't dislkke the music, thats just how I look at it.

Suspended
    I've heard of Slayer and I guess you could say they are probably the ground breakers and prompted the term "Speed Metal" Certainly others have followed in their tracks. That's not my thing however. When music stops having a melody or any real rythym it loses me. I like a lot of heavy bands from Godsmack, Tool and Dizturbed but Speed Metal and the bands that have Cookie Monster sound alikes don't do anything for me.

Speed metal? Guess you never listened to Deep Purple. Try Speed King by them.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    I need to add Guns N' Roses Apetite for Destruction.

Suspended
    I've heard and own Deep Purple but nothing they've done can hardly be compared to Slayer. I know back in the day people consider DP and Steppenwolf etc Heavy Metal but if they are what do you call bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Metallica or, Slayer? Maybe it all is, and over the years it just progressed. Like Rock itself has splintered off into many facets. It's hard not to get caught up in the commercial habit of giving something a label.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Janis Joplin

Joplin In Concert
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Bay City Rollers "Rolling" .You dont remember and sing along S -A- T- U- R -D -A -Y Night,S- A -T- U- R- D- A -Y NightWho could forget "Culture Club" with Boy George and also "Adam Ant "
    Last edited by PAT.P; 05-07-2006 at 01:59 PM.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    Interesting thread but probably a bit like asking someone to pick their favorite wave in the ocean..... too many to choose from, new ones coming along all the time and they vary depending on where you are standing.

Emack-I find it hard to believe you were there in the day if you think the Beatles were some sort of governmental pawn. But everyone is entitled to their opinion-even those hanging out on the grassy knoll....

Forum Regular
    If you are looking for the best bands,thats an opinion and to each his own.If its the most influencial,then you need to go back to many old blues artists,cause thats where rock and roll comes from,then continue on through the early sixties british groups,Beatles,Stones,kinks,John Mayhall,Moody Blues,and on to Zepplin.I am sure i am leaving out many,but its late and i am tired.It's no suprise that many people still listen to music made 40 years ago,will anyone be listening to Tool,Creed and the like in 2045.Now i am in my mid 40's so its no suprise that i feel this way,but i work with many early 20's type people and many have a great appreciation for the old acts.
    Buy the way good call on Black Oak ,i thought they were forgotten.Jim Dandy to the rescue.

bill

Forum Regular
    I guess it would make sense if I was old enough to listen to what was before the Beatles. I realize they influenced many bands and music as it is today, but I just cant sit and listen to them. They just dont do anything for me, but like I said in an earlier post, to each his own!!

I'm just asking. I remember.
    Elvis and Mowtown day in and day out on am radio. Then the Beatles made it all fresh.

Forum Regular
    I used to think that Van Halen, Motley Crue and Def Leopard were the greatest but as time goes on I realize that they were only great for their time. There is one and only one exception of that being Led Zeppelin maybe a distant second to that being Ozzy Osbourne when he played with the late Zak Wilde, excuse the misspelleing.

I think you meant to say the late Randy Rhoades, Zakk Wylde is stil alive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information