Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Greatest Rock Albums

Ok,

Let's have fun listing our favorite rock albums of all time...this can be from any time period and of course the word 'rock' can be synonimous with various types of rock in this case. Keep in mind that by 'greatest' we are talking about albums/recordings that are essential and important on various levels. State your reasonings as well if you feel that you need to defend a particular pick.

My List Includes: (no particular order)

Led Zeppelin PHYSICAL GRAFFITI and IV/Zoso/whatever you want to call it.
    Pink Floyd's THE WALL and DARK SIDE OF THE MOON
    The Who's TOMMY and WHO'S NEXT
    David Bowie's ZIGGY STARDUST
    The Rolling Stones LET IT BLEED and BEGGERS BANQUET
    The Beatles WHITE ALBUM
    Chuck Berry CHUCK BERRY IS ON TOP
    Elvis self titled
    Cheap Trick at BUDOKAN
    Alice Cooper SCHOOLS OUT
    ELO ELDORADO
    Yes FRAGILE
    Jethro Tull MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY
    Alan Parsons Project TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION
    Deep Purple MACHINE HEAD
    Black Sabbath PARANOID
    Rush MOVING PICTURES and 2112
    Jimi Hendrix (everything!)
    Eric Clapton SLOWHAND
    Smashing Pumpkins SIAMESE DREAM
    Pearl Jam 10
    Nirvana NEVERMIND
    Boston Self Title
    The Clash LONDON CALLING
    The Ramones Self Titled
    Creedance Clearwater Revival WILLY AND THE POOR BOYS
    Roy Orbison IN DREAMS
    CSNY FOUR WAY STREET (live)

Let me know if I left some out...I am sure there are lots more...

There also these for my favorite.
    1. Aerosmith -Big Ones
    2. AC-DC Back in Black
    3. Bowie" Best of Bowie "
    4. Alice Cooper "Greatest Hits"
    5. The Cars "Greatest Hits"
    6. The Doors "The Best of the Doors"
    7. Eagles "Their Greatest
    8. Peter Frampton "Peter Frampton Comes Alive"
    9. Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"
    10. Van Halen"Best of Volume 1"
    11. Kiss "Greatest Hits /97"
    12. Killers "Hot Fuss"
    13. Meat Loaf "Bat out Hell"
    14. Def Leppard "Vault"
    15. Metallica "Sandman"
    16. Nirvana "?"
    17. Nazareth"The Very Best"
    18. The Police "The Very Best Of "
    19. Red Hot Chili Peppers " Greatest"
    20. Babe Ruth "First Base"
    21. R.E.M. "The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003"
    22. Supertramp"Crime of the Century"

Aerosmith: Dream On
    Aerosmith: Get Your Wings
    Aerosmith: Permanent Vacation
    AC/DC: Back in Black
    Annie Lennox: Medusa
    Led Zeppelin: Runes, 4th album, etc hehehe
    Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy
    Jethro Tull: Aqualung
    Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
    Queen: Greatest Hits
    Phil Collings: Hello I must be Going
    Deep Purple: Machine Head
    Yes: Fragile
    The Who: Greatest Hits
    Santana: Abraxas
    Creedence Clearwater Revival: Chronicle
    Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
    Van Halen: 1984
    The B 52's: Time Capsule
    ZZ Top: Greatest Hits
    Billy Idol: Vital Idol
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: Deja Vu
    Grateful Dead: Greatest Hits from "Skeletons in the Closet"
    Meat Loaf: Bat out of Hell
    TV: LG 50PC3D plasma tv
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-V659
    DVD: Philips DVP5960
    Speakers: front/Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4, surround/Paradigm Atoms v.4, center/Paradigm CC290 v.5, sub/Paradigm PDR-12
    Remote: Harmony 659

Linear Guy

geezer list.

1) Hendrix Band of Gypsies - innvoation in every song.
    2) Jefferson Airplane - After Bathing at Baxters ( American Sgt. Peppers, elemental
    psych. )
    3) Edgar Winters & White Trash - Roadwork. (Sounds like every great concert I
    attended in the 70's)
    4) John Baldry - It ain't easy
    5) Muddy Waters - Eectric Mudd - Blues meets rock. Disaster or Triumph?
    6) Black Sabbath - Paranoid - metal with a message
    7) Dan Hicks - Last train to Hicksville - Early 70's country swing alternative classic.
    8) Joan Armatrading - show some emotion
    9) Joni Mitchell- Blue
    10) Dylan - Blood on the tracks.

Forum Regular
    Dudes!
    Why is not Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Tool, NIN etc.etc.etc.at the top of your lists?
    What decade are you guys living in?
    The Who? The Beatles? Jefferson Airplane?
    Now Metallica's Sandman was probably the worst Metallica album that they put out.
    How bout Metallica's Kill Em All or well hell just about all the other pre-Sandman albums, geez.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Each there own. I dont like Metallica but thats ok. I do like
    1.Grand Funk Railroad-Grand Funk
    2.Beatles-MMT
    3.Kanasa-Song For America
    4.Santanas First
    5.Jethro Tull-Benifit
    6.Who-Quadrophenia
    7.Bostons First
    Look & Listen

Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    Dudes!
    Why is not Nirvana, Jane's Addiction, Tool, NIN etc.etc.etc.at the top of your lists?
    Now Metallica's Sandman was probably the worst Metallica album that they put out.
    How bout Metallica's Kill Em All or well hell just about all the other pre-Sandman albums, geez.
    The Metallica I was talking about is the one with black cover( untitle with snake )with the song Enter Sandman (1991) ,put it this way most of their music after this really turn me off.As for what decade were living in ,we are not all born in the same GENERATION!
    Last edited by PAT.P; 05-05-2006 at 05:09 AM.

PAT P, while the bands you mentioned fall into the 'rock' genre they are not nearly as important to the rock n' roll movement, which is the entire reason that I began this thread. We are talking about influential bands, not bands that were influenced. And for the record...I did put Nirvana on my list. For the second record....Metallica is considered Heavy Metal, not necessarily rock...at least at one point in time they were before they became a pseudo-country rock metal band.

Quote Originally Posted by superpanavision70mm
    PAT P, while the bands you mentioned fall into the 'rock' genre they are not nearly as important to the rock n' roll movement, which is the entire reason that I began this thread. We are talking about influential bands, not bands that were influenced. And for the record...I did put Nirvana on my list. For the second record....Metallica is considered Heavy Metal, not necessarily rock...at least at one point in time they were before they became a pseudo-country rock metal band.
    You'll need to go back a few years before Elvis because is music came from Blues ,than to Rockabillies after came Rock n'Roll.

That's not the point...the point is to name influential rock artists...not people that influenced them in other genres. I don't think you'll understand considering you think that TOOL should be the top of the list on all-time greatest rock groups. Yeah because when I think classic rock the song STINKFIST is right up there with STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. While I don't think that TOOL is a terrible group...they are not even in the same league as the people that have been mentioned thus far. The only recent artists that have been named have been people/groups that have taken rock to a new level...thus NIRVANA and SMASHING PUMPKINGS or PEARL JAM for taking rock into the Alt Rock movement.

That's not the point...the point is to name influential rock artists...not people that influenced them in other genres. I don't think you'll understand considering you think that TOOL should be the top of the list on all-time greatest rock groups. Yeah because when I think classic rock the song STINKFIST is right up there with STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN. While I don't think that TOOL is a terrible group...they are not even in the same league as the people that have been mentioned thus far. The only recent artists that have been named have been people/groups that have taken rock to a new level...thus NIRVANA and SMASHING PUMPKINGS or PEARL JAM for taking rock into the Alt Rock movement.
    Who is Tool?I never mention this group.As for Stairway To Heaven this song gets on my nerve.I call it a put to sleep song.
    Last edited by PAT.P; 05-05-2006 at 04:40 AM.

I'll add Elvis Costello and the Attraction "This Years Model"to my list .Where are you going with this also ?Most of us have different opinion of what ROCK is to us and have a different opinion on our influential rock artist.We were not all born at the same time and place.All depend on what was heard at home as a kid (what your parents or older siblings were listening at that time)As a teenage your on your own and have your favorite,after some group steer away in their music and so do you .
    Last edited by PAT.P; 05-05-2006 at 04:49 AM.

Forum Regular

What I can think of off the top of my head

Live at Fillmore East - Allman Brothers
    Berlin - Lou Reed
    In Utero - Nirvana
    Sgt Pepper - Beatles
    Raw Power - Iggy and the Stooges
    The Wall - Pink Floyd
    Band of Gypsies - Hendrix
    Blonde on Blonde - Dylan
    Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
    II - Led Zeppelin
    Superfuzz Bigmuff - Mudhoney
    Live Album - Grand Funk
    Morrison Hotel - Doors
    1st album - Doors
    Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth
    Never Mind the Bollocks - Sex Pistols

There's a lot more but I just can't think of them at the moment.

Forum Regular
    LMAO!!! Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and PEarl Jam.....3 very overrated bands.

TOOL rocks man, but to each his own

Aging Smartass
    Steely Dan's "Aja." Period

Quote Originally Posted by PAT.P
    Who is Tool?I never mention this group.As for Stairway To Heaven this song gets on my nerve.I call it a put to sleep song.
    For sure to much airplay for STH but you had to be there when it was happening to have it be alright. I was lucky enough to see most of the greatest in there prime live more then once. LOL I even remember most the concerts. Y&ou know who never gets talked abouit much is Ten Years After. Alvin Lee was hot.Another that had a hot 3-4 year run was Black Oak Ark.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Alvin Lee

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    For sure to much airplay for STH but you had to be there when it was happening to have it be alright. I was lucky enough to see most of the greatest in there prime live more then once. LOL I even remember most the concerts. Y&ou know who never gets talked abouit much is Ten Years After. Alvin Lee was hot.Another that had a hot 3-4 year run was Black Oak Ark.
    About a year or so ago, he came out with a new CD where he plays with Scotty Moore and members of Elvis' early groups, playing in a distinct rockabilly style. To top it off, "I'm Going Home" is on it! If you're a fan of Alvin's and have even a mild interest in rockabilly, you have to check this out. It's great. Just what the doctor ordered for a guy whose road weariness and substance abuse has taken its toll on his classic stadium rock voice.

As a young'un, I think I wore the grooves off "Recorded Live" by TYA.

Forum Regular

Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    LMAO!!! Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, and PEarl Jam.....3 very overrated bands.

TOOL rocks man, but to each his own
    Since some folks believe the Beatles are overrated, "to each his own" is a very apt phrase to use when discussing music preferences!

I dont have a word for someone that thinks the Beatles are overrated.
    Look & Listen

Linear Guy

Dude, here's why

Quote Originally Posted by emack27
    Dudes!
    We continue to dig the stuff that we liked back in the day. the Who, the Beatles and Jeferson Airplane were a high level of Pop, interesting music and laid the foundation for all the dissapointing crap since. Someday they will be asking you what decade you are living in. What are you goning to say? those really cool 90's

led zeppelin II, period

Quote Originally Posted by daviethek
    We continue to dig the stuff that we liked back in the day. the Who, the Beatles and Jeferson Airplane were a high level of Pop, interesting music and laid the foundation for all the dissapointing crap since. Someday they will be asking you what decade you are living in. What are you goning to say? those really cool 90's
    Pop? or rock?
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Well, i'm not afraid to say I am one of those who think the BEatles are overrated. I just dont get it

Quote Originally Posted by musicoverall
    Since some folks believe the Beatles are overrated, "to each his own" is a very apt phrase to use when discussing music preferences!

Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Your not that older than me.When you dance with somebody to STH,you said to yourself is this (damn) song going to finish or what

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    Well, i'm not afraid to say I am one of those who think the BEatles are overrated. I just dont get it
    What were you listening to pre-Beatle?
    Look & Listen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information