Best Upgrade for Every System!

Name:  ear_phones.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  64.5 KB

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/19409

They are now reasonably priced at $600 a pair.
    How is everyone?

JRA

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    He is enjoying an outdoor concert in the back rows with full fidelity. Sadly he was not able to hear that lightening strike in time.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Audio casualty StevenSurprenant's Avatar

Whispering Gallery

How embarrassing is that? Grounds for divorce, I would think!

I would rank that right up there with Get Smarts cones of silence, only that these may work.

I was thinking...
    What if you built these ear extenders into your listening chair. You could hear your high end system at low volume without disturbing anyone else.
    Or maybe, place parabolic reflectors on each side of your chair with quality transducers at the focal point beaming your favorite tunes right into your head. It would be just like headphones, but without the headache that you get from having your head in a vice, AND I would think it would be more spacious sounding.

Or, or...

Good God! I'm going crazy just thinking about these Sonic Blinders...

I think I'll stop now...

Has anyone seen the Whispering Gallery at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago? It is two parabolic reflectors facing each other at about 20 feet distance. Each person stands inside one of the reflectors with their backs toward each other. When they whisper, they can hear each other clear as day. It's an amazing thing to experience. People outside the reflectors can't hear them at all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Upgrade for Every System!-whisper_wide.jpg  
    Last edited by StevenSurprenant; 11-19-2008 at 05:02 AM.

Boatman1
    The Science center in Toronto Ontario Canada has 2 parabolic reflectors at opposite ends
    of a 100 yrd noisy room and you can here each other like you were holding hands.

Suspended
    I feel this contraption is an acoustic nightmare.

what????
    "The great tragedy of science--the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact."--T. Huxley

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenSurprenant
    It would be just like headphones, but without the headache that you get from having your head in a vice, AND I would think it would be more spacious sounding.
    Sadly too many headphones operate on the "squeeze your head like a lemon being turned into lemonade principle", but there are some that are extremely comfortable... such as the AKG K701...

Do they come in blue?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatman1
    The Science center in Toronto Ontario Canada has 2 parabolic reflectors at opposite ends
    of a 100 yrd noisy room and you can here each other like you were holding hands.
    The Barossa Reservoir, in South Australia, has a dam wall which happens to have some interesting acoustic reflective properties. A person standing at one end can talk normally, and someone at the other end can hear what they say as plainly as if they are standing next to them.
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by emesbee
    The Barossa Reservoir, in South Australia, has a dam wall which happens to have some interesting acoustic reflective properties. A person standing at one end can talk normally, and someone at the other end can hear what they say as plainly as if they are standing next to them.
    But isn't that because the Barossa Reservoir wall is only 6ft long?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicAdam
    But isn't that because the Barossa Reservoir wall is only 6ft long?
    Er, no. It may not be the world's largest reservoir, but its not THAT small!
    All we are saying, is give peas a chance.

Thread Information