Forum Regular

Question Stereo Receiver Clipping Out

It's a KENWOOD KR-4070 & the right channel is clipping in & out Can fuses cause this to happen or am I out Of Luck?

I strongly doubt it's the fuses. Try cleanng the controls and switches.

Forum Regular
    All the controls & Switches were already cleaned by the ebay seller I bought it from.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageTurntable
    All the controls & Switches were already cleaned by the ebay seller I bought it from.

Bummer. I have had bad luck buying used stuff off of ebay. Many times people are selling because the equipment is starting to have problems.

Try taking it apart, cleaning off everything. Then take off all the connectors and clean them. Then give it another shot.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

That's why I love epay.

The seller took the time to tell you that he took the time to clean the switches and posts yet neglected to mention the little fact that it didn't work properly.

Going Nowhere too Fast Charlie04SiR's Avatar
    hmmm, you need to be more descriptive about how and when the clipping is occurring. At what volume level? Part-time or all-time? Some people confuse low volume distortion with clipping. Clipping only occurs at high volume output when the outputs can no longer sustain the voltage the transformer is feeding them, thereby letting it pass to the speaker terminals. It could have some bad diodes or caps as well. I don't reall if this particular unit has Bias or DC offset adjustments, but to me it sounds like the seller you got it from might have messed around with the internals, not knowing what he was doing, turning screws on the PS boards. Take it to your local reputable tech and have them perform a "bench" test with it.
    If everybody had everything they wanted, the world would be a pretty boring place :)

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    The seller took the time to tell you that he took the time to clean the switches and posts yet neglected to mention the little fact that it didn't work properly.
    Got a good laugh out of that one........ I've been there before.....

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Forum Regular
    The right channel only cuts out at high volume It worked great great for about 1 or 2 months after I got it. Got it on March 15th

Then I may have been hasty in my judgment of the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by VintageTurntable
    The right channel only cuts out at high volume It worked great great for about 1 or 2 months after I got it. Got it on March 15th
    IT is a very old unit and things do happen. Could just be luck of the draw.

Thread Information