Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Why do you insist on telling people that their subjective enjoyment of their system and sources are wrong? Why is it your way or no way?

And guess what? In your effort to be a smart ass, you actually hit the nail on he head. Much of my system and listening habits are designed to transport me to a simpler time. I enjoy my cassettes and LPs from years ago. Why would you care if I run an analog cassette thru a 32 band digital EQ to a Class A amp? Why do you have a problem with that? I understand that cassettes are not perfect. I've taken others on the forums to task for suggesting that they are hi-fi. But, I've never denied anyone the pleasure of their 6th grade mix tapes.

In honor of the mighty much maligned cassette:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQ3aJR_fUg

The troll has been fed.
    DON'T USE that "troll" crap with me. Shooting the messenger has always been popular
    BUT NEVER CHANGES THE FACTS.
    Enjoy your cassettes in your fools paradise, more power to you.
    And when these tapes turn into worthless strips of plastic tape when all of the oxide
    rubs off, destroying whatever music that is stored on them, probably irreplaceable
    music will be lost, is all I AM SAYING.
    THEN you can sit and stare out the window, probably the only thing that won't be computerized by then.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Mutant from table 9
    Yes, it was silly of me to use the word troll regarding someone who calls people irrational, tells them that they are in a "fools paradise" and tells them to "get a fcuking clue." That is not at all trollish behaviour.

But fair enough, if you you are talking about storing ripped cassettes and LPs on a hard drive that is one thing. But what I took exception to was your assertion that someone is irrational for not wanting to listen to music off a computer, which is what you said. If you're imploring people to back up their music on a computer, then okay. That I can get on board with.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    Yes, it was silly of me to use the word troll regarding someone who calls people irrational, tells them that they are in a "fools paradise" and tells them to "get a fcuking clue." That is not at all trollish behaviour.

But fair enough, if you you are talking about storing ripped cassettes and LPs on a hard drive that is one thing. But what I took exception to was your assertion that someone is irrational for not wanting to listen to music off a computer, which is what you said. If you're imploring people to back up their music on a computer, then okay. That I can get on board with.
    Thats all I am saying.
    You listen to a CD, you are listening to music from a computer. MIGHT be called a
    CD player but its a one use computer, computers touch every piece of music out there,
    the war was over years ago.
    ALL I AM SAYING is that you have no choice, mylar tape has a lifespan, and your reticence
    over computers is nothing but irrational.
    HERES some help, just to show that I AM NO TROLL. Get a reel to reel, copy your stuff onto it. Will still degrade, but with new tape you will be able to deny reality a few more years.
    Or heck, even just a CASSETTE DECK, IF you keep insisting on living in analog land,
    you will have to copy your tapes every so often.
    EVENTUALLY that process in and of itself will destroy your music, of course.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country
    well pixi, you ARE a troll, one that likes to see his name spelled out in urine in the snow. its ignorant of you to denigrate other people's preferences.

the word isnt realy in yet about digital storage (there is such a thing as CD rot) AND it just doesnt sound quite as good as analog (dsd and dvda are getting close). for long term storage (as if that's the only reason we put things on tape -how about portability and sound?) one can use metal tape cassettes in a deck with dolby S. it is D.E.A.D. quiet across the audible band and very long storage viability.

btw, there is NO such thing as an ANTIQUE technics tt. none of them are older than 50 yrs and thats pretty much the def of antique.
    ...regards...tr

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    My two cents......

I will leave the technical aspects of this debate up to those skilled enough to have it.
    However, I think everyone can agree that there are differences in sound between digital and analog. There is nothing wrong with preferring one over the other but I think we get off track when start attacking people for their preferences.

It is generally agreed by members here that it okay to prefer one speaker over another or one receiver over another because of individual preferences. So why can't we have the same agreement about formats?

I live comfortably in both worlds and have many titles on both vinyl and CD or even in a few instances cassette. They generally all have differences which I appreciate rather than separate. Which format I listen to is often decided on what I am doing at the moment or how long I plan to listen to music. It is in the end about the music and the listener not the technology and the listener.
    Last edited by thekid; 11-13-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Forum Regular
    Back when I was into using one 8" full-range driver, I had to use an EQ to smooth out the sound. Since I left that about two years ago, my EQ was removed and is collecting dust, just the same as my cassette deck. To each his/her own, but I am a CD guy. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman
    "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    the word isnt realy in yet about digital storage

I don't know about now, but back in the 90s when I was in college, I worked at the University's records archive and the word pretty much was in. All magnetic storage was on a two year storage rotation and CDs were on a three year rotation. That was how little the professional archivists trusted them. It was a real hot topic back then, at least among professional archivists. Wild bunch of nerds them archivists are.

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    well pixi, you ARE a troll, one that likes to see his name spelled out in urine in the snow. its ignorant of you to denigrate other people's preferences.

the word isnt realy in yet about digital storage (there is such a thing as CD rot) AND it just doesnt sound quite as good as analog (dsd and dvda are getting close). for long term storage (as if that's the only reason we put things on tape -how about portability and sound?) one can use metal tape cassettes in a deck with dolby S. it is D.E.A.D. quiet across the audible band and very long storage viability.

btw, there is NO such thing as an ANTIQUE technics tt. none of them are older than 50 yrs and thats pretty much the def of antique.
    THE "DEFINITION" of "antique" is such as you, old sot.
    Doesnt matter if its "metal" or whatever, tape has a lifespan, and degrades with each copy,
    no such thing as a perfect copy in the analog world, however entropy thrives.
    CD rot is ancient history, I personally saw the huge filtration system at a JVC disc plant
    that takes the iron oxide out of water used to wash CD blanks. To pull up that old bug a boo just shows how out of touch you are.
    And I AM NOT "denigrating" another persons choices, just pointing out the inevitable
    result of such. It is a fact that cassettes die eventually, just pointing that out.
    Live and let live is the mantra of worn out old hippies such as yourself, what everybody
    does is fine, doesnt matter how ignorant it is. EVER occur to you that the chap I was
    posting to might appreciate the advice?
    MOST have noclue as to how fast magnetic tape dies, although some have a vague idea. Even if it doesn't disappear completely in ten years a good percentage of it will be gone, weather you or anybody else likes it or not, and its not a smart way to store precious memories. MOST are aware of this, however they don't understand just how poor
    a storage medium tape is. AND PLAYBACK AINT THAT GREAT EITHER.
    But if someone is banging his head against the wall, engaging in behavior that is guaranteed to destroy his music, well, just wouldn't be PC to point that out, now would it?
    BETTER WE JUST JOIN HANDS and sing shambala and chant love poems to each other
    while children jump around and toss rose petals.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    BETTER WE JUST JOIN HANDS and sing shambala and chant love poems to each other
    while children jump around and toss rose petals.
    I think you may have meant "Kum By Ya" and not Shambala. I don't think anyone but you will be singing Shambala but you.....

In Buddhism

* Shambhala Buddhism is a Buddhist lineage headed by Sakyong Mipham RInpoche

Related to Shambhala Buddhism:

* Shambhala, a mythical kingdom described in the Kalachakra tantra of Tibetan Buddhism
    * Shambhala Training
    * Shambhala Sun, a bimonthly, Buddhist-inspired magazine, published by the Shambhala Sun Foundation
    * The Shambhala School, a a non-denominational private school in Halifax, Nova Scotia

In Hinduism

In Hinduism Shambala has three meanings:

* Shambhal is a place where one gets peace and security
    * Another meaning is, "that which attracts others", or "that which confers distinction"
    * The third meaning is, "a place situated near water".

In Theosophy

* Shamballa (Theosophical spelling) is the dwelling place of the governing deity of Earth, Sanat Kumara, and his attendants.

In Hollow Earth Cosmology

* Shamballah is the chief city of the Agharta, mythological land of advanced races and knowledge living at the center of the hollow earth

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information