Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ajani

Gear they'd have to pry from your cold, dead fingers!

Just more of my usual random thoughts:

What HiFi products have impressed you so much, that the only way you'll replace them is when they eventually stop working? Or worst case, would find a home in your second system, but you would never sell, trade or dispose of while they still function....

I'm not a remotely sentimental person when it comes to electronics, furniture or homes... I have no issue with tossing everything and starting over... However one component has survived in my system and I know will survive the next upgrade cycle as well: My Benchmark DAC1.... Having served faithfully as DAC and Headphone Amp for my Cans for about 2 years, it now serves as DAC and Preamp for my 2 channel system... Despite my amp being my latest purchase, I'm sure I'll upgrade the amp long before I'd consider moving the DAC1 to a second system...

So what gear are you unwilling to part with?
    Last edited by Ajani; 04-22-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I would have to say the Krell s300i. I think it is the most transparent audio product I have ever owned. The Krell drives the Mo Fi OML's and Monitor Audio RS6's very well. A product that can easily support steps up in source and speakers.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular

Cool thread....

I am unwilling to part with:

1) Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i speakers
    2) Stello DA 100 (DAC)
    3) Stello CDT 100 (Transport)
    4) My system of connectivity all from Blue Marble Audio: Speaker wire, IC's, and digital coax.

The M.S. are an incredibly musical speaker for the price point,$225.00/pr.. The Stello gear when paired together have a very unique connectivity feature. With the Stello there is DIN connector which through 4 conductors separates the audio signals (Word Clock, Bit Clock, Data, Master Clock) from the CDT to the DAC. Lastly, I think the BMA wire is some of the best I've heard and in my opinion quite a $ bargain too. It's the wire that is the difference in my system which by way of excellent signal transfer enables my whole system to sound the way it's supposed to.

LeRoy

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar
    At this point my Golden Tube SE-40 will be for life. I plan to get another and go dual mono. With all of the possible tube rolling, I haven't even got started with it.

Magneplanar MG 1.6QR speakers.

Well, it would be more precise to say some dipole planar in that price range. No "box" speaker I can imagine can produce what I"m looking for, for the type of music I listen to. So for example the MG 1.7 sounds like a great choice, (at least according to Jonathan Valin, et al.).
    Last edited by Feanor; 04-22-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Welp...

Modded Epicure 14's
    Ohm Walsh F's
    Platinum Audio Studio 3's

Any low dirt bastards found within filching range of these speaks will be summarily executed, flogged, dragged through the streets and forced to watch hidden videos of Starr Jones and Rosie O'Donuts swappi' spit!

So let it be written.....

So let it be done!

Worf

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I would say my Audio Note OTO. The EL84 tube compliment has a certain beguiling presentation that is tough to leave. There are better amps which may push it to a second system but several amps have been through and some are very good - but so far none have taken it down. I wish it looked nicer. The TT2 won't go anywhere either unless it's traded for a TT3 and I need to marry money or win a lottery for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by poppachubby
    At this point my Golden Tube SE-40 will be for life. I plan to get another and go dual mono. With all of the possible tube rolling, I haven't even got started with it.

That’s a very nice amp you have, I wouldn't part with it either.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier
    Adcom GDV-870 DVD-A/CD player
    Yamaha S1800 DVD/SACD player
    Panasonic DMP-BD60K blu Ray player
    PSB Image series speakes s/s
    Dayton RSS210HF 8" reference sub
    Hitachi 46" HD projector screen

The only audio product(s) I have and will never part with are a set a Custom built bookshelf speaker I made a little while back. I am using them at work for a desk top system. These little speaker sounds DAMN good!!!

Made out of 3/4 MDF(with a bubinga veneer) they sport a 5" HiVi M5N aluminum/magnesium driver, rear firing 2" ported, 1" soft dome tweeter made by bluesky(vary natural sounding) and crossed at 3500hz.

I have them hooked up to a little 10w tube amp. The sound is silk, so smooth and natural to the ears. I think I enjoy listening to them more then my T6's at home
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by rob_a
    That’s a very nice amp you have, I wouldn't part with it either.
    Thank you Rob. I would like to add that as much as I love it, i am not willing to die for for it. With the right approach, like a gun perhaps, it could be taken from my warm, living hands.

The only audio product(s) I have and will never part with are a set a Custom built bookshelf speaker I made a little while back. I am using them at work for a desk top system. These little speaker sounds DAMN good!!!

Made out of 3/4 MDF(with a bubinga veneer) they sport a 5" HiVi M5N aluminum/magnesium driver, rear firing 2" ported, 1" soft dome tweeter made by bluesky(vary natural sounding) and crossed at 3500hz.

I have them hooked up to a little 10w tube amp. The sound is silk, so smooth and natural to the ears. I think I enjoy listening to them more then my T6's at home
    Pics?

Pics?
    I will try, I can never get pics posted
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Ajani
    Thank you Rob. I would like to add that as much as I love it, i am not willing to die for for it. With the right approach, like a gun perhaps, it could be taken from my warm, living hands.
    Disgraceful! You sound like a SS Lover pretending to be Tube Fan! No true Tube lover would let a minor annoyance like a gunshot part them from their amp!!!

Hey I don't have to pretend, my Marantz 1515 greets me every morning.

I have a set of speakers that I would never get rid of. I would like to move them to a 2 channel only system though. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center and surrounds.
    I am not mentioning their names though. At this point, I would not want to give them the free advertizement. As much as I love these speakers, many people have had deals go bad with this manufaturer and I would hate to see that happen to anyone because of me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Ajani
    Hey I don't have to pretend, my Marantz 1515 greets me every morning.
    Until you take a few shots to the chest, I'm not going to be convinced!

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I have a set of speakers that I would never get rid of. I would like to move them to a 2 channel only system though. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center and surrounds.
    I am not mentioning their names though. At this point, I would not want to give them the free advertizement. As much as I love these speakers, many people have had deals go bad with this manufaturer and I would hate to see that happen to anyone because of me.
    Can I guess??? Can I guess??? LOL... That manufacturer was supposed to have delivered many quality products before greed got the better of him...

I think moving the speakers to a 2 channel system would be a great move....

Pics?
    here is a couple shots of my speaks. Man I love these guys!!!

The up close shot on the bottom came out weird???

HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Ajani

Have you tried the tube amp at home with your PSBs? And have you tried the custom speakers with the Emotiva? If not, then that might be an interesting test...

Forum Regular

Well, I have two things I'll probably hold on to...

...for sound? I'm thinking my J.M.R. Twins Sigs will be with me for a while. Very satisfying, and quite frankly got me off the proverbial speaker "merry-go-round".

And for nostalgia, I'm keeping an old pair of Boston Acoustics A100s (ca. 1980). Bought new factory woofers, and now sitting in my closet. A bit of a shame, but almost perfect condition and they bring back a lot of memories.

I was going to keep my Revel M20s for the bedroom rig, but the wife knocked 'em over and put a nice ding in them... had to sell 'em.

By the way, that's technically FOUR things I'm holding on to...

Those look great Rob. Nice size too. What's the tube compliment in that little amp, looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Have you tried the tube amp at home with your PSBs? And have you tried the custom speakers with the Emotiva? If not, then that might be an interesting test...
    I have plugged them in to my Emo upa-2 and my buddy's Emo xpa-5. Very nice!!!!, super natural, great dynamic range, large amount of head room, much bigger sounding for a small set of bookshelf speakers. they have a nice neutral tone with a touch of warmth, so with the tube amp it warms them up a little more (which I like).

I have not tried my PSB's with the Tube amp, have not had the opportunity too since it just sits on my desk at work, never been home. I have a small set of two way PSB B25’s that I want to try it on.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

Ok...I gotta ask seeing I have gave serious consideration to the HiVi 8inch mid woofer. Is it all that? Can you describe its sound? And can you give us a rear shot of the speaker?

frenchmon
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Those look great Rob. Nice size too. What's the tube compliment in that little amp, looks cool.

The pre's are NOS Westinghouse 6AX7 "Premium" tubes, don't forget the premium:
    and on the power side are the Chinese 6P1's which are a little tougher to roll.
    HT system:
    Marantz SR7001 receiver
    Emotiva UPA-2 Amplifier

The pre's are NOS Westinghouse 6AX7 "Premium" tubes, don't forget the premium:
    and on the power side are the Chinese 6P1's which are a little tougher to roll.
    Hehehe...

I think you meant Chinese Not So Premium 6P1's. It's ok, the excessive premium-ness of the premium tubes will result in a premium balance of premium sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information