Forum Regular

Power Cuts in Asia

Hello everyone, i live in vietnam and my office is subject to random power cuts, there is about a 10 sec gap where the generator kicks in to power the building. I must note, these arent power surges or anything, just where the power goes off. Now i have a system in my office, a Nad 3020i with Pioneer bs-22lr and a marantz player. My question is, can these power cuts have any affects to the system? Today the power went off, and came back on in like ten secs, the cd player goes automatically to stby but the amp switch being physically on meant it came on when the power came on. And i heard a very slight noise thru the speakers went the power came. The system sounds fine. But can this cause any damage to it? Cheers

Yes it can hurt your gear. Power surges are never good. You may want to get an APC with battery back up-

http://www.apc.com/products/family/?id=29
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    Thanks BR, actually it isnt a power surge per se. Whats happening is a total loss of electricity (power cut) there isnt any issues regarding lightening strikes or a sudden surge in high voltage. Just a power failure. But when the power comes back on, if i am out side the office or something, the amp switch being still in the On position, comes on. Is this still something to concerned with, do i need to get one of these APC's? Thanks

Suspended
    I would get some type of power conditioner or protection. In your case it may be best to get one where the unit shuts off and stays off until you turn it on or reset it. You really wouldn't be aware of a power surge unless measuring the voltage at the time. Your gear is probably designed to take some surge and dip within a parameter but a power conditioner can be sure the voltage stays within that parameter or even stable. There's various types and styles of these devices.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the advice as always Guys. Appreciate it. I'll check on what's best I can get over here in terms of a power conditioner. But just to clear my mind, is there anyway to actually make sure if there was any damage done to either amplifier or speakers? As far as I can hear, the sound is the same, but any checks that can be done to really know if it's ok or damaged? Cheers

Suspended
    I think if everything sounds alright you are fine. The only check I'd know of would be to send it back to the factory or a tech to go through it and make sure everything is measureing alright. That could be expensive.

Forum Regular
    Just checking if any of u guys have had this product with ur components, 'Tripp Lite Isobar surge suppressor- premium surge, spike and line noise protection'

Would this protect the equipment good enough from power cuts etc? Cheers

Suspended
    I'vI've not used the Tripp Lite before but it should be fine for protecting your gear. They've been in business for a long time. Be sure to get the correct version for your country's voltage and frequency. U.S. is 110v & 60Hz where Europe and many other areas use 220v & 50Hz. What voltage do you receive?

Quote Originally Posted by tony340 View Post
    Just checking if any of u guys have had this product with ur components, 'Tripp Lite Isobar surge suppressor- premium surge, spike and line noise protection'

Would this protect the equipment good enough from power cuts etc? Cheers
    Tripp Lite protectors work as well as anything for surge protection. I have 3-4 of them. Their 'Isobar' versions provide multiple isolated RMI/EMI plug banks that also work very well. I haven't tried any of their voltage regulating products; these are in a higher price category than their Isobar simpler surge & RFI/EMI filter products.

Forum Regular
    Thank you Mr P and Feanor very much, highly appreciated. Yes, its 220-230 here in Nam. I will get it for both my systems thanks very much.

Thread Information