Forum Regular

follow-up ? can subwoofer damage flat screen

Thanks to Scott's question I'm asking the same question about plasma and lcd flat screens. I've never seen any vibration to the image on plasma or lcd in a store or at my home but we all know the subwoofer can vibrate cabinets, art hung on walls, and other items in the room. Does this have any impact on plasma or lcd flat pannels over time?

you said it yourself, "Time will tell" When most equipment is tested I'm sure they may not include the extreme high volume listener. Displays are tested for visual performace not earthquake prepareness.
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

To do physical damage to either panel you would have to reach the resonance frequency of that panel. A plasma panel, being a fairly dense piece of glass, is going to have a pretty low resonance, probably below 10 cycles. And to damage the panel the sub would have to able to reproduce that frequency at a very high volume level.

I don't think this is too much of a concern. If you are listening at a high enough volume to damage anything in your house, you need professional help.

Thread Information