Favorite Music Videos....

Printable View

• 07-08-2006, 02:03 AM
    superpanavision70mm
    Favorite Music Videos....
    Remember when Music Videos were more than just a bunch of girls shakin' their booty while cars bounce in the background? I do. Here is my list of my favorite music videos of all time....

Bjork ALL IS FULL OF LOVE
    Great tune with an awesome video by Chris Cunningham....he called I ROBOT and wants his robot design back btw. My friends actually renamed that film I, BJORK after seeing the rip-off robot design. That film can't hold a candle to just how awesome this video is. I think there is a commercial out now that is a sendup/ripoff as well.

Blur THE UNIVERSAL
    An obvious tribute video to Stanley Kubrick with the insertion of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY-esque stuff and the A CLOCKWORK ORANGE garb.

The Cranberries LINGER
    Directed by a woman and interestingly enough is a honest tribute to the French New Wave, especially the films of Jean Luc Godard and most obviously ALPHAVILLE (the film, not the band).

Johnny Cash HURT
    An amazing and emotion video from Mark Romanek, who manages to capture Cash at his final moments. Just brilliant.

David Bowie and Trent Reznor I'M AFRAID OF AMERICANS
    A truly remarkable film that I doubt would be made post-9/11. Great concept and execution and also makes the Mick Jagger/Bowie DANCING IN THE STREETS video almost forgivable....almost....well, ok, probably not.

Daft Punk AROUND THE WORLD
    This video is just incredible for it's creativity as it uses various cast to play special instruments of the song w/ choreography that perfectly captures the essence of the song. Not too many videos capture both the dynamics and rythym so well, but even moreso the melody and charm.

The Smashing Pumpkins 33
    A video that is comprised of all still photographs (not digital ones either) and then pieced together to make a true 'motion picture' that has a cool jerky feel to it. The song also captures great mood with images that seem to be quite opposite and contradictory in the music video rather than going for obvious similarities.

Peter Gabriel SLEDGEHAMMER
    Not sure why I love this music video, but it's always been one of my favorites for it's stroke of genius and creative aspects. Very memorable.

Michael Jackson's THRILLER
    An obvious choice, but this video certainly set a new trend in music videos and unearthed some incredible new concepts. The full-length version plays out like a mini-movie and the dancing, mood, beat, and rythym are all top-notch. Too bad he's gone off the deep end.

No Doubt RUNNING
    I just love the emotion of this video that is captured through pictures and footage with Gwen looking more classical Hollywood than ever.

Madonna POWER OF GOODBYE
    Great song with lots of cool imagery and raw emotion. She has other good videos, but I like this one the best.

Metallica UNFORGIVEN
    While some of their music videos are memorable, this one seems to be burned into my mind more than anything else. Sorrow and beauty combined.

Beck DEVILS HAIRCUT
    A great sendup of MIDNIGHT COWBOY with the genius at the wheel once again.

Beastie Boys SABOTAGE
    How could anyone not love this video?

Pearl Jam JEREMY
    The only video I really liked from them and one that leaves a lasting impression.

A-ha TAKE ON ME
    Way ahead of it's time for sure..even by todays standards this is one really incredibly well done video that makes the song really work.

Guns and Roses NOVEMBER RAIN
    Great concept and execution...very memorable for a band that really isn't.

TLC WATERFALLS
    While I never really liked them as a band Hype Williams surely made excellent use of technology to make this song really work.

Anyone else have some favorites?????????
  • 07-08-2006, 11:23 AM
    N. Abstentia
    Beastie Boys Sabotage is of course the best video ever made. Heck any Beastie Boys video is good. I actually like the one they filmed at Pompeii where they payed homage to Pink Floyd's Pompeii video. I forget what it was called though. Classic stuff.

Personally these days, I feel the best music videos can be seen on Headbanger's Ball. Anything by Killswitch Engage, Clutch, Opeth, or Hurt is top notch. Funny how the heavy metal guys are on the cutting edge of videos now.
  • 07-08-2006, 01:24 PM
    superpanavision70mm
    Hmmm, they are?
  • 07-08-2006, 01:27 PM
    jlcct
    I haven't seen a music video in over a year. The only music television channels I get are MTV and VH1 and MTV plays everything but music videos and VH1 plays the same videos over and over again. Maybe we could get some channels that play reality t.v., dating shows and car modification programs to play music videos.

I've always wondered why VH1 and others haven't realy tried to cash in on the absence of a good variety of videos. A little off topic here but I'd also like to see a couple of competitors for ESPN. Maybe then they would be pressed to stop lieing and start hiring some analysts that don't blatently show their biased points of view.
  • 07-08-2006, 01:59 PM
    teledynepost
  • 07-09-2006, 04:06 PM
    cjpremierfour
    Lostprophets's Last train home
    ***These are from way back when MTV played music videos***:7:
    Huey Lewis and the news, If this is it / Stuck with you / Heart & soul / I want a new drug
    Greg Kihn Band's "Jeopardy" and Chicago's Stay the night
  • 07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
    MikeyBC
    I always enjoyed the old David Lee Roth videos, theyre cheesy...but cheesy on purpose.
  • 07-10-2006, 06:10 AM
    Worf101
    I've a few....
    There are a couple from the "golden age' of Music Videos...

1. "Fight the Power" - Public Enemy - An amazing video of incredible power. Spike Lee at his finest. The shot where a cop walks in front of the camera and illcits this look on Chuck D's face is priceless.

2. "Centerfield" - John Fogarty - The vintage footage from the golden age of baseball makes me cry whenever I see it. That last chord lingering beneath the smile of Willie Mays with three bats on his shoulder says it all to me.

3. "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen - Err do I need to say any more?

4. "Sledgehammer" - Peter Gabriel - Claymation never looked so great.

5. "Shock the Monkey" - Peter Gabriel - Eratic but the guy knows his music Videos.

6. "Baby Got Back" - Forgot the guy's name - Funniest video ever done... Amazing.

7. "Momma Said Knock You Out!" - LL Cool J - Either the unplugged video or the video proper are Raw and Wild, I loved it.

8. "**** Da Police" - NWA - I've always loved rebel music.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Da Worfster
  • 07-10-2006, 08:26 AM
    RoyY51
    How about...
    ...Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes"? It kinda put "World Music" on the map. Plus, I've always been a sucker for live concert footage. This one was very well done.
  • 07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
    superpanavision70mm
    Good call on the Fogerty video.
  • 07-11-2006, 11:30 AM
    likeitloud
    A few I've seen lately;
    Stricken...Disturbed..Powerful, alittle crazy..Good song.
    Crazy Train...Ozzy...Classic, Vintage, Good Images.
    Duran Duran...The Reflex...Cheesy, but catchy..very 80's
    I Disappear...Metallica...From MI2..Great effects, song is also one of their best.
    Sammy Hagar..I Can't Drive 55...Good comedy, cool scenes.