View Poll Results: What is your favorite John Williams score?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jaws (1975)

2 12.50%
  • Star Wars (1977)

1 6.25%
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

0 0%
  • Superman: The Movie (1978)

4 25.00%
  • Empire Strikes Back (1980)

5 31.25%
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

2 12.50%
  • E.T.: The Extraterrestrial (1982)

0 0%
  • Jurassic Park (1993)

1 6.25%
  • Schindler's List (1993)

0 0%
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

1 6.25%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    first for me would be close encounters. quite a dynamic slam in the opening.
    A nice work for sure, but alas my copy is thin and flat sounding.

rw

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    It's interesting but I think the film actually counts with how the score will resonate. I can't remember the score for Lord of the Rings - not a single second of it can I recall. But I view this trilogy as mediocre one note overlong 9 hours of tedium.
    Well, I have the exactly opposite impression of LOTR and its music. I can readily recall a lot of the themes from each of the three movies. Then again, I really like the movies and have seen them multiple times (both the theatrical and extended versions).

I can see how the memory of a score might correspond with how a movie resonated. I definitely don't remember anything from Battlefield Earth. Then again, I can recall the music from A Clockwork Orange, and I found the movie itself tedious and pointless (this coming from someone who loves 2001 and Dr. Strangelove).

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I was able to borrow and watch a copy of Koyaanisqatsi, (Hopi: "life out of balance"). I enjoyed it. Quite mesmerizing. Many evocative and ironically amusing images, all perfectly synchronized and complemented by the music.

I think life's banalities would often be more bearable sped up or slowed down, and accompanied by moody music.

Glass' music is better with pictures, otherwise it's pretty boring; I only listen to it occasionally as background.
    Might want to seek out Powaaqatsi ("life in transformation") now that you've seen Koyaanisqatsi. In many ways, that's a more moving movie and the music follows accordingly. Glass' scores are minimalist in general, but work very well with the imagery.

Amazing to see how stop motion photography can alter the perspective from everyday occurrences.

Quote Originally Posted by hifitommy
    first for me would be close encounters. quite a dynamic slam in the opening. star wars was memorable as i saw the movie at grauman's chinese right in the center (perhaps one of my most memorable movie moments). i saw it at the century center plitt and while still a great showing, HALF as good as at the chinese.

music-wise though, encounters is still my favorite. the next fave is a soundtrack from the movie-short cuts. its essentially an annie ross album, just great. the movie was also quite good.
    Ah yes, I remember when Star Wars played the Chinese Theatre. It stayed there for almost a year. I wanted to see it there so badly, but whenever we ventured out to the Chinese, it was to take out-of-town visitors to see the stars' footprints.

Years later, I started going to the Chinese to see movies, but grew to like the AVCO and Village theaters in Westwood better (better sound systems IMO).

As far as the music goes, Close Encounters is almost the forgotten soundtrack in that great run that Williams had, and it's probably the most restrained score of the group. But, it's brilliant in how it evokes a sense of mystery and wonder.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information